Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians working on Sundays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Every preacher I know works on Sundays.
    As a preacher, I've been told I ONLY work on Sundays, and then I work too long!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Really... I thought it was the Muslim equivalent of kosher.
      From BBC:
      Halal is Arabic for permissible. Halal food is that which adheres to Islamic law, as defined in the Koran.

The Islamic form of slaughtering animals or poultry, dhabiha, involves killing through a cut to the jugular vein, carotid artery and windpipe.
      Slaughterhouse UK slaughterhouses must be completely halal compliant

Animals must be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter and all blood is drained from the carcass. During the process, a Muslim will recite a dedication, know as tasmiya or shahada.
      How does the Koran define what is permissible?

"These things alone he has forbidden to you: What is already dead, blood, the flesh of swine, what has been offered up to other than Allah."
      Al-Anam 6:145
      In other words, it is meat which has been offered up to Allah, and killed in a specific way.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        From BBC:

How does the Koran define what is permissible?

In other words, it is meat which has been offered up to Allah, and killed in a specific way.
        That just sounds like they aren't allowed to eat Idol meat anymore than the Jews were.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Hmm. I suppose that gets into the debate about whether or not Muslims worship the same God as Christians. The distinction between the Muslim Allah, and the Christian God is probably not as wide as, say, the Hindu Kali and the Christian God.
          Of course it's not. Nonetheless, AFAICT the Allah described in the Koran is not the God I worship.
          I wonder if Christians living in, say, Lebanon buy meat from Muslim butchers where they both call God "Allah".
          I'm not sure. Do they call God "Allah"? AFAIK it is done by some Christians in Muslim-majority countries, but I have no idea how widespread the practice is. There is another word for "God," isn't there? IIRC the "first pillar" starts out "There is no God but. . . "
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            That just sounds like they aren't allowed to eat Idol meat anymore than the Jews were.
            Did you miss the bit about "dedication"?

The shahada said at the point of slaughter is: ‘In the name of Allah, who is the greatest’.
            source So it is offered to Allah.

(not vouching for the veracity of the site's arguments; just referenced it for the dedication)

sigpic

Comment

Of course it's not. Nonetheless, AFAICT the Allah described in the Koran is not the God I worship.
              Fair enough.

I'm not sure. Do they call God "Allah"? AFAIK it is done by some Christians in Muslim-majority countries, but I have no idea how widespread the practice is. There is another word for "God," isn't there? IIRC the "first pillar" starts out "There is no God but. . . "
              Apparently so. Not sure how trustworthy it is, but check this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...erms_in_Arabic

Allāh (الله)
              literally "God"; is also used as a religious term by Arab Muslims and Arab Jews.
              Roman Catholics in Malta call God Alla in the Maltese language. The name Allah is also used by Christians in predominantly Islamic countries and countries where both faiths exist side by side regularly such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Iraq

Comment

There is only one God, 'though we all may understand him differently, which is not to say equally well, but no one understands him perfectly.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

ilāh is the generic Arabic for god or diety.

Comment

ilāh is the generic Arabic for god or diety.
                    Interesting. I think I read once that the name "Allah" was used by Christian Arabs before Islam existed. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly though.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      There is only one God, 'though we all may understand him differently, which is not to say equally well, but no one understands him perfectly.
                      So you wouldn't have a problem eating at a Muslim owned restaurant on a Sunday, would ya?

Comment

Rather widespread in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Interesting. I think I read once that the name "Allah" was used by Christian Arabs before Islam existed. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly though.
                          From what I just read, Allah means "The God" and LLah or Ilah means "god"

Comment

From what I just read, Allah means "The God" and LLah or Ilah means "god"
                            That makes sense.

Comment

Halal meat has been ritually sacrificed to Allah. No thanks.
                              The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.

Comment

I am a bit surprised that no one offered up I Corinthians 8.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X