Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians working on Sundays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I am a bit surprised that no one offered up I Corinthians 8.
    I was thinking it, but I understand if a Christian wants to avoid meat offered to idols.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I am a bit surprised that no one offered up I Corinthians 8.
      Chapter 10 not good enough for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I was thinking it, but I understand if a Christian wants to avoid meat offered to idols.
        It is, for some, understandable weakness, but weakness all the same.

Comment

So you wouldn't have a problem eating at a Muslim owned restaurant on a Sunday, would ya?
          No, I would do so with a clear conscience, but I would not do so with One Bad Pig, out of respect for his conscience.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I forgot how come Sunday became the ritual day of rest for Christians by and large. I have a vague memory of reading some Seventh Day Adventist argument against that practice. Thus I just choose Friday evening to Sunday evening to be my period of rest (Sabbath). I still check the email for any urgent stuff, though. Also, do household stuff such as picking up the snail mail and using the water distiller.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
              I forgot how come Sunday became the ritual day of rest for Christians by and large. I have a vague memory of reading some Seventh Day Adventist argument against that practice. Thus I just choose Friday evening to Sunday evening to be my period of rest (Sabbath). I still check the email for any urgent stuff, though. Also, do household stuff such as picking up the snail mail and using the water distiller.
              I wonder... could it have something to do with Easter Sunday?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                Its the day that Jesus rose from the dead (Lord's Day). I imagine the earliest Christians kept to the Saturday Sabbath, but as Christianity started to come into its own as a separate faith from Judaism Sunday became preferred. I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, but I actually like the idea of a Saturday sabbath just in keeping with the way the 1st and early 2nd century church did things. I've been to some churches that do two or three services. Typically a Wednesday night, a Saturday service, and then also a bigger Sunday service (sometimes 2 Sunday services in a row for early and late comers). Ultimately, though, I realize the Sabbath was created for us, and not the other way around, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Comment

I honestly don't understand why Christians struggle with what they can do on the Sabbath. Colossians 2:16 seems to make this pretty clear. As OBP mentioned earlier, we also know that the earliest Christians had no choice but to work on Sundays.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    You're responsible for your conscience. ("weaker brother" principle included)
                    You're not the boss of the other guy - you are not forcing him to work.
                    The boss COULD hire more employees, or manage the schedule in different manner.

As a matter of preference, I don't shop or buy gas on Sundays. HOWEVER, I'm not legalistic about it -- going into the weekend, I try to make sure we have milk, bread, bacon -- the essentials.

When I was younger, the Sunday restaurant crowd was LARGELY the "Church Crowd", and we used to think "if I eat out on Sunday after Church, I'm making other people work" - on the OTHER hand, they're going to be there ANYWAY".

When I was a police officer, I was sometimes asked to work on Sundays, and my Chief knew of my Christian preferences, so he always said "unless there's a big emergency, go to Church even if you're on duty".
                    Where would you put the police uniform? Underneath your church clothes?
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I honestly don't understand why Christians struggle with what they can do on the Sabbath.
                      Tradition.

Comment

I think just to be safe we should celebrate every day as a sabbath and not work.

Comment

Yeah, I don't care if meat might have been offered to idols; I'm not going to ask. I am thinking primarily about Acts 15:20, but I also keep in mind Paul's admonitions in 1 Corinthians.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yeah, I don't care if meat might have been offered to idols; I'm not going to ask. I am thinking primarily about Acts 15:20, but I also keep in mind Paul's admonitions in 1 Corinthians.
                            Yep, I figured you probably had that passage in mind. Understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Then there's Revelation 2:14.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I think just to be safe we should celebrate every day as a sabbath and not work.
                                I agree with the bacon lover.
                                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X