Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Pharaonic tomb with remains uncovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pharaonic tomb with remains uncovered

The remains of a previously unknown pharaoh named Woseribre-Senebkay (or Seneb-Kay), who lived 3600 years ago, was discovered this month in his four-chambered tomb at Sohag, south of Abydos (roughly 500 km/310 mi south of Cairo) in southern Egypt.

The tomb had been plundered so there were no grave goods but is nevertheless extremely important in that this find is the first hard proof of an independent Abydos Dynasty, contemporary with the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Dynasties during the Second Intermediate Period.

The archaeologist in charge of the dig, Josef W. Wegner of the University of Pennsylvania, thinks that this discovery could lead to more royal discoveries in the area. He figures that 20 previously undiscovered pharaohs may lie near Senebkay's tomb and adds that "Where there are king’s tombs, there are also queen's tombs, and tombs of high officials of the royal court."

Senebkay stood 1.78 meters (5'10") tall and died in his late 40s

Further Reading:

New Pharaoh Discovered In Egypt – Introducing King Seneb Kay

Finding a Lost Pharaoh

Meet Woseribre-Senebkay: The unknown, 3,600-year-old researchers just unearthed in Egypt

Archaeologists find remains of previously unknown pharaoh in Egypt

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Who's the kid in the upper left....

Comment

How does this find impact on our understanding of later dynasties? For example, does it have a bearing on the high vs low chronology debate?
      "Your name and renown
      is the desire of our hearts."
      (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by Ged View Post
        How does this find impact on our understanding of later dynasties? For example, does it have a bearing on the high vs low chronology debate?
        This is more just filling out the Egyptian Dynasty history so we understand how Egypt evolved through history. Each discovery will include reference on how Egypt related to the world around Egypt over time.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Hmmmm.... not a mummy.

ETA: ah ok...He was mummified but the robbers destroyed him.
          Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It was a contemporary dynasty that ruled over parts of Upper Egypt for a relatively short time.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I see they are saying, that "the royal family in Abydos, which may have been founded by Senebkay, is of Egyptian origin and did not submit to the Hyksos's rule."

Interesting stuff isnt it?
              "Your name and renown
              is the desire of our hearts."
              (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

I see they are saying, that "the royal family in Abydos, which may have been founded by Senebkay, is of Egyptian origin and did not submit to the Hyksos's rule."

Interesting stuff isnt it?
                It demonstrates that life is always more complicated than what our books tell us.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It demonstrates that life is always more complicated than what our books tell us.
                  There are chronologies (like David Rohl's) that propose to telescope Egyptian history by arguing that what were previously thought to be consecutive reigns were actually concurrent. Perhaps during some periods there were even three concurrent reigns in different territories. The lengths of the intermediate periods become hard to date with any precision. And this is important because most of the dating in ancient Israel is done by relating it back to Egyptian dating.

Comment