Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    In other words glance at available information, ignore it, and make up your own new "truth."
    I think that is what everybody does. I mean that truth is perishable. I am not sure if that is a general principal or not. A typical case would be the answer to the question; what time is it? The answer may be true for only about a minute.

When we consider the truth of past events we find that we are always relying on the accuracy and reliability of storage and transmission systems and there is always loss in those systems. A photograph, for example, reduces a moment in three dimensions to a two dimensional record that of itself is almost useless without the information carried along another path by a witness. Our memories and the education of the young is our battle against time that is continually removing information.

I conclude that what you and I consider to be true is something that is constantly changing as it moves through time and new information is added, stories are retold and so on. I doubt if there is anything that is absolutely true and the fact that very many things are true for everybody and at all times is a result of the regularity we see in nature.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      I think that is what everybody does. I mean that truth is perishable.
      I should know better than to ask but do you not think ANY truth is eternal, or even "permanent"?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Is what FF saied a imperishable truth? Nope! So we can just ignore .
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I should know better than to ask but do you not think ANY truth is eternal, or even "permanent"?
          I would settle for durable like wellington boots. Here’s a daft story to think (or not think) about. Is it always true that two plus two equals four? (This easy problem stands in for any arbitrarily difficult mathematical problem.)

The computer on which I propose to calculate the answer consists of a fenced off area in a field to which I will add tokens. To read the answer, I need to open a gate and count the tokens that come out of the pen. So now, I put in two goats and two lions, wait for half an hour and check the result.

I happen to know what the true result ought to be. But suppose I do not. It seems to me that we are dependant on the machinery we build and the regularity of nature to know what is true. Truth is what you calculate it to be and it has no independent existence. (There is a good deal of speculation in all this).
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Considering that personality theories are supposed to study 'healthy' individuals; psychopaths would be very unhealthy versions of what 'personality profile' they would normally have.
            Something like this was on television the other week.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROu77TvZzA
            Last edited by firstfloor; 12-20-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I would settle for durable like wellington boots. Here’s a daft story to think (or not think) about. Is it always true that two plus two equals four? (This easy problem stands in for any arbitrarily difficult mathematical problem.)

The computer on which I propose to calculate the answer consists of a fenced off area in a field to which I will add tokens. To read the answer, I need to open a gate and count the tokens that come out of the pen. So now, I put in two goats and two lions, wait for half an hour and check the result.

I happen to know what the true result ought to be. But suppose I do not. It seems to me that we are dependant on the machinery we build and the regularity of nature to know what is true. Truth is what you calculate it to be and it has no independent existence. (There is a good deal of speculation in all this).
              You could have just said no.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem is your equation is faulty. It should be (2+2) - 2 = 2 - which is the likely outcome of two lions playing with two goats. It would not be 2+2 unless they were muzzled and declawed since 2+2 does not reflect the reality.

Using the wrong equation doesn't tell us anything of the truth of the correct equation.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This post and this whole concept of yours belongs in the Sick Freak thread.

Some of us here do know of some eternal truths, sad that you do not.l
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    The problem is your equation is faulty. It should be (2+2) - 2 = 2 - which is the likely outcome of two lions playing with two goats. It would not be 2+2 unless they were muzzled and declawed since 2+2 does not reflect the reality.
                    Using the wrong equation doesn't tell us anything of the truth of the correct equation.
                    What I am suggesting is that truth is related to and relies on consistency and repeatability across time. Nothing very interesting would emerge from a system that decays like the goats and the lions. Your calculator would not be able to produce the same answer to the same problem every time.

Religions play with two ideas, roughly being perfection, good, eternal and so on in opposition to corruption, decay, sin, death and the like. What I am suggesting is that arithmetic, life and everything could not exist in a system that is fundamentally corrupted. That is telling us that there are mistakes in those two religious categories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Some of us here do know of some eternal truths, sad that you do not.l
                      “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.”
                      This is poetry, surely?

Comment

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.”
                        This is poetry, surely?
                        And in the cosmology of the ancient world; the heavens and earth were seen as eternal. So in saying that the word of God will outlast what is considered to be eternal, it is saying God, not the heavens and earth, are eternal. I am truly amazed at the basic ignorance you keep displaying on even the most basic of stuff...
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What I am suggesting is that truth is related to and relies on consistency and repeatability across time. Nothing very interesting would emerge from a system that decays like the goats and the lions. Your calculator would not be able to produce the same answer to the same problem every time.

Religions play with two ideas, roughly being perfection, good, eternal and so on in opposition to corruption, decay, sin, death and the like. What I am suggesting is that arithmetic, life and everything could not exist in a system that is fundamentally corrupted. That is telling us that there are mistakes in those two religious categories.
                          Than show it and stop asserting it. Assertions are not arguments.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And in the cosmology of the ancient world; the heavens and earth were seen as eternal. So in saying that the word of God will outlast what is considered to be eternal, it is saying God, not the heavens and earth, are eternal. I am truly amazed at the basic ignorance you keep displaying on even the most basic of stuff...
                            Christian theology is a tangled mess. It has been over analysed to the point of nonsense.
                            http://triangulations.wordpress.com/...-of-certainty/

Comment

Than show it and stop asserting it. Assertions are not arguments.
                              http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/than.html

Comment

Christian theology is a tangled mess. It has been over analysed to the point of nonsense.
                                http://triangulations.wordpress.com/...-of-certainty/
                                Sorry FF, but argument by web link isn't allowed here. Now do you have an actual argument here or do you just want to rant again?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment