Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    The results are too coarse. Progressive believers (i.e., Christian universalists, liberal Muslims) and agnostics aren't "atheist." It's more reasonable to conclude that more cognitive, less emotional personality types--the ones most likely to reject extreme beliefs--won't necessarily go "full atheist" but simply adopt more reasonable belief systems that don't require surrendering of thought.
    That's right because we all know that being more prone to thinking with your heart means you can't be logical. Do you like sounding like such a bigot all the time, whag?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      That's right because we all know that being more prone to thinking with your heart means you can't be logical. Do you like sounding like such a bigot all the time, whag?
      How is the acknowledgement that some religion requires surrender of thought bigotry?

I think I'm actually on your side here. I said the test is too course grained to be accurate because there are degrees of cognitive processing (different shades of belief). I also should've have said that introversion/extroversion isn't correlative enough to belief/disbelief to be a useful indicator of theism/atheism.

Comment

How is the acknowledgement that some religion requires surrender of thought bigotry?
        Because every personality type has its own strengths and weaknesses. They can also all be prone to 'surrender of thought'. I wasn't aware that being an FJ (for example) made you anymore prone to 'surrender of thought' than being any other type. If you think that; you have thoroughly misunderstood the entire point of these personality profile's to begin with.

I think I'm actually on your side here. I said the test is too course grained to be accurate because there are degrees of cognitive processing (different shades of belief). I also should've have said that introversion/extroversion isn't correlative enough to belief/disbelief to be a useful indicator of theism/atheism.
        Introversion/extroversion seem to have little to do with being a Christian or not. I could say that might effect your choice of denomination or church, but not much beyond that. While it is cute to watch you pretend to be on 'my side', you're the one that made the bigoted statement). Now back it up (BTW I tend to test into one of those 'emotional types' and well... I'm not that prone to 'surrendering of thought'. Now where is your evidence for your assertion?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The results are too coarse. Progressive believers (i.e., Christian universalists, liberal Muslims) and agnostics aren't "atheist." It's more reasonable to conclude that more cognitive, less emotional personality types--the ones most likely to reject extreme beliefs--
          In what universe are more cognitive, less emotional personality types most likely to reject extreme beliefs? Do you actually know any extremists?

won't necessarily go "full atheist" but simply adopt more reasonable belief systems that don't require surrendering of thought.
          Yeah, I highly doubt people who reject religious dogma because it makes them feel bad (IE: homophiles) are sterling examples of not surrendering your thoughts to emotion.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            granpa is the guy who thinks the Lake of Fire is the sun.
            And Catholicity mocks the mentally ill, I think granpa wins this one.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The following is quoted from - American on-line atheists and psychological type
              by Matthew J. Baker & Mandy Robbins (download available at link below)

“The data demonstrated that the atheist population differs significantly from the general population when it comes to psychological type with noticeable over-representations of INTJ, ISTJ, and INTP among both male and female atheists. This suggests that these psychological types might be more likely to embrace atheism than others. The type most over-represented among both male and female atheists, INTJ, is described by Myers (1998) as follows:

Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Sceptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others. (p. 13)”

“ISTJ, although less over-represented than INTJ due to their high frequency in the general population as well as the atheist population, was nonetheless the predominant type among both male and female atheists, comprising over 40% of the sample. ISTJ is described by Myers (1998) as follows:

Serious, quiet, earn success by concentration and thoroughness. Practical, orderly, matter-of-fact, logical, realistic, dependable. See to it that everything is well organized. Take responsibility. Make up their minds as to what should be accomplished and work toward is steadily, regardless of protests or distractions. (p. 13)

“…… it is unclear as to whether the sample truly represents American atheists in general. However, despite these weaknesses, the present study has demonstrated that the relationship between psychological type and atheism is an area worth researching further and has laid a strong foundation for future research to build upon.”

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...3#.VI_psXuy4UA
              Last edited by firstfloor; 12-16-2014, 02:27 AM.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Is it just me or do those read like astrology signs? "Taurus: loyal, bull headed and kind to small animals"

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

My personal theory: Certain personality types are less inclined to be wishy washy and want to take firm stances. People who identify as "atheist" are more likely to take a firm stance on something. These personality types might also be more inclined to be very stridently religious.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Is it just me or do those read like astrology signs? "Taurus: loyal, bull headed and kind to small animals"
                    It’s just you.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      It’s just you.
                      ...he says after I've amen'd her post.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        .... which caused me to amen yours....
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think so. Those are complete nonsense. I think these at least have some basis in fact (though I know many researchers would disagree.)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I don't think so. Those are complete nonsense. I think these at least have some basis in fact (though I know many researchers would disagree.)
                            I was only semi-serious but they do have one trait in common - they are very general descriptors.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A great deal of psychology is a lot like astrology - not all but a lot.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Thanks. I forgot to Amen the post even though I responded to it.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment