Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    All of my friends besides me are all extremely extroverted compared to me.
    Often they try to force me out of my shell,which I hate very much.
    That is the absolute worst! One of my very good friends who is generally quiet and shy was basically told (by an idiot) that real Christians are outgoing. The guy didn't mean it that harsh, but it was the implication.

@Adrift, one could certainly speculate, but we don't have much knowledge about most of their personalities anyways. Most who have been Baptized in the Spirit as us Pentecostals call it become more outspoken about their faith from what I've seen and experienced.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

The study compared those who attended church as children but are now atheists (n = 2,677 females; 7,838 males) with those who still attend as adults (n = 1,137 females; 1,189 males)...The following table shows which types were over-represented and under-represented in the atheist group as compared to the Christian group. The number indicates the degree of over-representation or under-representation. For example, ISTP 3.79 means that there were almost four times as many female ISTPs in the atheist group as compared to the Christian group whereas ENFJ 0.23 means that there were only about a quarter as many female ENFJs.
      Either there is a serious typo here or the table is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Yeah. This thing was really popular here on Theologyweb awhile back, but I always felt it was a bit silly. People do change. I've changed, and I've seen others change too. One of the things that concerned me about this test was that people were actually defining who they were, and what they were capable of, based on the test. "I can't talk to people because I'm INTJ" or "I can't be alone because I'm ESTP" or whatever. I control my mind, my mind doesn't control me. Romans 12:2 tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. I don't think scripture would tell Christian to do that if it weren't possible.
        EGGzackly.... that was my biggest concern... that it will be a self-fulfilled prophecy, and people will make life decisions based on a test that might be totally different 1 year later.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Your name makes me wonder how the disciples would have tested before and after the day of Pentecost.
          Or Peter before and after the Resurrection.

Or Saul taking the test, then Paul taking the test (but I repeat myself)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
            Obviously change is supposed to happen in teenage years, but I first took the test in 6th grade and was determined to be an INTP, in 9th grade I was given the test in a class and I received INTJ. I became a Christian in 11th grade and was given the test in another class in 12 grade. I was then an ENTJ. Two years later (just now) I received ESFJ. Apparently one of the "classic" religious types (and I was almost scored ENFJ, the other most religious type). Every time I've taken it I've been able to say, "Yeah, that describes me." Just thought I'd share my experience with it.
            On the other hand, I've consistently scored either INTJ or ISTJ. And the descriptors for INTJ fairly well describe me, so I'm comfortable with that identification.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              On the other hand, I've consistently scored either INTJ or ISTJ. And the descriptors for INTJ fairly well describe me, so I'm comfortable with that identification.
              Yeah, you just read that's who you're supposed to be, so you ARE that! You have been assimilated!

Comment

Originally posted by granpa View Post
                https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myer...Type_Indicator

MBTI and Atheism | www.godsurvey.org

You can see from the above chart that the four TP types (Thinking + Perceiving) appear near the top of both lists and that the four FJ types (Feeling + Judging) appear near the bottom. Therefore, the primary conclusion is that individuals with preferences for TP are more likely to be atheists than those with preferences for FJ.

Um, doesn't it also indicate that atheism is more common among the judgmental types?

You could also make the argument that it indicates atheism may be more common in those who are bad at logic - a personality trait (assuming that the thing is accurate) doesn't necessarily imply a skill. 'Tends to think more' doesn't mean - or even imply - 'thinks well' so it's bordering on fallacious to assume there is an actual argument to be made here.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Most of my scores tend to be along the INFJ/INTJ line.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Yeah, you just read that's who you're supposed to be, so you ARE that! You have been assimilated!
                    Once the pain from the implants subsides, it isn't so bad. You at least can walk in space, without a spacesuit.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      An interesting note is that the reliability of the test is sometimes questioned because some studies have found that between 40% and 75% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting as little as 30 days to a year later. I have take the test at different times in my life, never with the same results.
                      I've consistently gotten INTP every time I've taken it.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        I've consistently gotten INTP every time I've taken it.
                        I am shocked. SHOCKED, I say.

Comment

I think the Meyers Briggs is interesting. Like all tests it gives you a base line for your "normal persona" (think MMPI MMPI-2 IQ standards, Standardized testing etc.) Its a baseline going on an algorithm. While accurate and interesting, it may just mean "here's your norm, here's what you can do with x) and it seems reasonable to me. I don't think most people actually make an "idol" out of it or let it define them, their religion etc. And remember this is granpa who posted this.....
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Sent granpa friend request since Catholicity vouches for his character and intellect.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

granpa is the guy who thinks the Lake of Fire is the sun.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah. This thing was really popular here on Theologyweb awhile back, but I always felt it was a bit silly. People do change. I've changed, and I've seen others change too. One of the things that concerned me about this test was that people were actually defining who they were, and what they were capable of, based on the test. "I can't talk to people because I'm INTJ" or "I can't be alone because I'm ESTP" or whatever. I control my mind, my mind doesn't control me. Romans 12:2 tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. I don't think scripture would tell Christian to do that if it weren't possible.
                                The results are too coarse. Progressive believers (i.e., Christian universalists, liberal Muslims) and agnostics aren't "atheist." It's more reasonable to conclude that more cognitive, less emotional personality types--the ones most likely to reject extreme beliefs--won't necessarily go "full atheist" but simply adopt more reasonable belief systems that don't require surrendering of thought.

Comment