Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Open question: Has anybody here ever seen evidence of fruit of the spirit from DE?
    Well... since you asked, and although a debate forum is hardly a proper medium to demonstrate said fruits, we may get a hint or two on the posts, so let's check shall we?

- Love: Hardly demonstratable in a debate forum, since as far as I am concerned, is hardly a place to put other folk first before your own personhood. And I don't think Darth is of the pharisaic gloating type to trumpet whatever deeds he has accomplished at his personal cost.

- Joy: Again, the gladness that the Lord grants is hardly demonstrable here, but at least for mundane joy (Since he does express a thrill whenever he sees those of liberal bent screw up), I guess we can say he showcases joy.

- Peace: Based on his posts, Darth actually demonstrates a well collected calm in his responses, and peace and conflict are hardly mutually exclusive characteristics in a person (Peacemakers does not exclude willingness to engage in a fight, UN Peace Corps anyone?) , I say he exhibits this trait fairly well.

- Patience: Considering the amount of morons that tend to show up, and how Darth has been willing to entertain their objections with straight replies (None that resorts to backhanded distractions in other issues), I say this one actually highly evident.

- Kindness: He may not exhibit a soft demeanor, but considering he is sincere in addressing the objections when given the chance and throwing straight answers when a serious discussion is taking place, that to me qualifies as kindness (And no, I don't abide to reducing kindness to solely a being a "nice" person. Kindness is far far more encompassing than that, and any Christian worth his or her salt should know that).

- Goodness: Not exactly demonstrable here (Again, I don't anyone of us have ever witnessed Darth outside of the online realm, and actually personally know him), but considering that he consistently asserts a strong moral commitment to Christian principles, one can say that he is committed to that. Some of the things he mentions do give a rise to some, one may dispute that what with the differences of sensibilities and biblical exegesis, but as far as I am concerned, he has hardly said anything that contradicts biblical doxia and praxis.

- Faithfullness: Considering he pretty much despises anything deviating from the ways of Christ, and continually citing Christ and the Apostles to backup his form of conduct, and being a confessing Christian (Again, we can only know so much of who someone is by the debate forum by itself), I guess one can sum up that he maintains a fidelity towards the Christ.

- Gentleness: If used solely by the anglo-phonic understanding of it, and considering his habit of getting the rise out of folk (Although I would attribute that more to the others having a lack of thick skin, and not so much of Darth lacking gentleness, although one may dispute that Darth is bereft of a sense of diplomacy, but then again, this forum is hardly a place to necessitate diplomatic tact), you could say he fails in this matter. But the Bible was hardly composed in English now was it? And considering that Biblical gentleness has more to do with inner-calmness and discipline of passions and not so much an expression of soft-demeanors, I would say that Darth's expressions in here qualify as gentle in a way, considering that I have never seen him loose his cool.

- Self-Control: Considering his policy of not gossiping, not intending to do anything illegal, or use something that may be used against him in court. In other words, he exhibits a very careful demeanor, and unlike a raven fundamentalist, he hardly resorts to emotional appeals, I say he demonstrates a good deal of self-control.

Although not exhaustively, and to those who keep accusing Darth Executor that he falls short of being a "Proper Christian" or "Exhibiting Fruits", from what I have observed from his posts, I see no reason to attack Darth Executor's character on this forum. Although he may not have shown exhaustively the "Fruits of the Spirit", this is a Debate Forum, not a Community Mingle to get to know each other personally. And good grief people, just because he tends to exhibit a combative-demeanor, that hardly follows that he solely focuses on that. From time to time, I have seen him comment on mundane but interesting things (cooking meats is one subject I can think of), and on one occasion, he has answered a prayer request when someone was going through a rough time (I can't recall or find that thread in particular) which means that at least he expresses some concern for even some folks here, as remote as it is.

Not to mention, considering that this IS a debate forum, and that is what he is here for, it is hardly to be expected that one is to be nice (although one can still show manners, and I have seen Darth debate with manners when the other behaves as well or is not showing idiotic arguments). I also don't see what's so bloody special of trying to be "nice". It hardly follows that being nice is a sure way of insuring proper conduct, and combativeness and sincere despising of something in a critique is actually a good thing from time to time (And as DE has adequately demonstrated, Jesus actually left a good precedent of how that works). Not every personality is wired to to be "nice", pure and simple, and especially since I am is also keen to sometimes associate "niceness" with insincerity and duplicity, I say that seeing past the pseudo-respect that some folks have and hitting the core of a matter or discussion is actually a good trait to have, and it is not surprise that some folk respond in hostile manner to such a trait. Maybe once you get used to the idea that holding the delusional expectation of all folks having to be "nice" is utter foolishness (diversity of personalities anyone?).

Maybe... actually spend more time examining the crux of an argument that one presents, defends, attacks, etc., and less time with rubbish psychoanalyzing with zero substance.

EDIT: One more thing. So Darth Executor appears to constantly demonstrate a combative demeanour. I'm sorry, I don't recall that showing one aspect of the Christ in this forum (Hello... debate forum?) automatically dictates exhaustively the composition of one's character. Good grief people.
    Last edited by Andius; 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Scholarly studies on the historical Jesus have demonstrated, of course, that Jesus enjoyed racial trolling with a Hitler avatar.
      Nothing about a liberal Southern Baptist today?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Combative
        adjective
        ready or inclined to fight; pugnacious:

Christ was always ready and when it comes to certain people definitely inclined to figh them. God is not a coward or a weasel like you.
        This is not some of your better work, Darthy. When Jesus was being spat on, his beard pulled, whipped, mocked, beaten and crucified, he could have fought.

When the Bible talks about "meek", that's how I see Jesus -- Power under control. He could have, but he didn't. Cowardice is not always defined by "not fighting".

"The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
        Not sure what point you were trying to make there.

Who said 100% of the time? Oh right, nobody. You just made that up on your own.
        Did I CLAIM you said that Darthy? It was, however, to your goofy "Christ wasn't combative?" which I actually quoted with the quote function.

Your second post is also full of lies. IE:

"that's not what defined him, though."

Nobody said it was, you just made that up.
        Nobody said YOU said it was what defined him, Darthy. That was the impression I got from your goofy post.

"Do you REALLY think that the most prominent feature or character or nature of Christ was a combative nature?"

Nobody said it was, you just made that up.
        That was a question, Darthy. Again, nobody said you said that.

There is no point in having a discussion with liars who manufacture words to put in the mouths of others as an excuse to go on another deranged tirade about how combative THEY are, lacking any sense of irony whatsoever. Maybe you should worry less about Christ's character and more about yours:
        I'm thinking quite a bit about my own character, Darthy.

Is this who you want to be? A hypocrite who considers being combative beyond the pale but lies at the drop of a hat just to have a straw man he can win against?
        That doesn't even make sense. I think you're angry.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Nothing about a liberal Southern Baptist today?
          No, for most of his career, anyway, Jesus was more of a liberal Northern Baptist.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Jesus was not defined by His "figh" [sic], Darth. He was defined by his sacrificial death and atonement, even though He COULD have fought that.
            Have you stopped beating your wife?
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Scholarly studies on the historical Jesus have demonstrated, of course, that Jesus enjoyed racial trolling with a Hitler avatar.
              Jesus certainly enjoyed racial trolling. IE: the parable of the good Samaritan, where He made an ethnicity the jews hate the good guy and jews the bad guys. Or when He racially trolls the Canaanite woman: “It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.”

If Jesus came back I suspect He'd shave His beard into a poststamp. It would be a great way to weed out the hypocrites who shout "love your enemy" without doing it themselves.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                I think you misunderstand CP's point, because he was contrasting Jesus with you. You ARE always combative (at least it seems that way)...even when unnecessary...Unlike Christ who was combative only when necessary.
                I don't misunderstand at all. I just read his post past the first few lines.

Comment

Jesus certainly enjoyed racial trolling. IE: the parable of the good Samaritan, where He made an ethnicity the jews hate the good guy and jews the bad guys. Or when He racially trolls the Canaanite woman: “It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.”

If Jesus came back I suspect He'd shave His beard into a poststamp. It would be a great way to weed out the hypocrites who shout "love your enemy" without doing it themselves.
                  I agree, well not so much about the Hitler avatar/mustache and trolling.

Comment

This is not some of your better work, Darthy.
                    Pet names are for friends. We're not friends, and until you apologize for your slander we're not gonna be. You don't get to put words in my mouth, use them to accuse me of insulting Christ then get away with it by joking around it like you usually do. Not this time.

When Jesus was being spat on, his beard pulled, whipped, mocked, beaten and crucified, he could have fought.
                    There is more than one kind of fight. Jesus had a duel with death to attend. As I recall He won that one handily.

When the Bible talks about "meek", that's how I see Jesus -- Power under control. He could have, but he didn't. Cowardice is not always defined by "not fighting".
                    Nobody defined it that way. But around here, more often than not, you fight when you don't need to and run when you do. Since I'm here to fight it's entirely understandable that I'm usually fighting. You OTOH seem content with the worst of both worlds.

Not sure what point you were trying to make there.
                    That God is a fighter.

"The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name."

We are made in His image, so it's natural that man has war in his blood. This idea makes a lot of the people here, most of whom seem to have grown quite fat on peace and material comfort, very uncomfortable.

Did I CLAIM you said that Darthy? It was, however, to your goofy "Christ wasn't combative?" which I actually quoted with the quote function.
                    Yes, you claimed that. When I ask someone "Do you really enjoy raping children? Really?" I am saying he rapes children. I don't get to hide behind a question mark. Same with you. You asked that question to imprint something I did not say on me so you have a lie to argue with.

Nobody said YOU said it was what defined him, Darthy. That was the impression I got from your goofy post.
                    See above.

That was a question, Darthy. Again, nobody said you said that.
                    See above.

I'm thinking quite a bit about my own character, Darthy.
                    Think harder. If I may make a suggestion, you can start by being more forward instead of weaseling around with statements worded as questions that are then used to launch into your diatribes.

That doesn't even make sense. I think you're angry.
                    It makes perfect sense. You're just as combative as I am. Maybe more, since you routinely get into arguments that are over your head and keep fighting long after you've been dismembered. I'm guessing you recognize this in yourself, don't much care for it, so you project it on others. My recommendation would be to go to a fighting gym, ask them if you can use their punching bag, then tape a picture of yourself to that and hit it until you get it out of your system. Maybe you'll realize for certain what it is about yourself that you really loathe so much. And whatever it is, stop taking it out on me.
                    Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-19-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I agree, well not so much about the Hitler avatar/mustache and trolling.
                      So... you don't agree then.

Comment

So... you don't agree then.
                        Only with the part about Jesus coming back as some kind of Neo-Nazi.

Comment

Pet names are for friends. We're not friends, and until you apologize for your slander we're not gonna be.
                          Give me a clear example of where I slandered you, Darthy.

You don't get to put words in my mouth, use them to accuse me of insulting Christ then get away with it by joking around it like you usually do. Not this time.
                          I responded to what I thought was a really dumb comment on your part.

There is more than one kind of fight. Jesus had a duel with death to attend. As I recall He won that one handily.
                          Yeah, I don't think we're gonna argue over that. Unless you just want to.

Nobody defined it that way. But around here, more often than not, you fight when you don't need to and run when you do. Since I'm here to fight it's entirely understandable that I'm usually fighting. You OTOH seem content with the worst of both worlds.
                          Are you saying that your purpose on Tweb is to fight, Darthy?

(please note - this is called a question, as indicated by the question mark at the end. It is not an attempt to put words in your mouth, and it is not a "lie". )

That God is a fighter.
                          At times.

"The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name."
                          But, I'm sure you would agree that this is not his ONLY nature or character, yes?

(please note - this is called a question, as indicated by the question mark at the end. It is not an attempt to put words in your mouth, and it is not a "lie". )

We are made in His image, so it's natural that man has war in his blood. This idea makes a lot of the people here, most of whom seem to have grown quite fat on peace and material comfort, very uncomfortable.
                          I'll leave that for you to argue with whoever "some people" might be.

Yes, you claimed that. When I ask someone "Do you really enjoy raping children? Really?" I am saying he rapes children. I don't get to hide behind a question mark. Same with you. You asked that question to imprint something I did not say on me so you have a lie to argue with.
                          When you calm down a little, perhaps you can point to EXACTLY what it was I said, OK? Please use the quote function, if you don't mind.

Think harder. If I may make a suggestion, you can start by being more forward instead of weaseling around with statements worded as questions that are then used to launch into your diatribes.
                          Are you REALLY in a position to give guidance to others on how to conduct themselves, Darthy?

It makes perfect sense. You're just as combative as I am.
                          At times, yes, I certainly can be.

Maybe more, since you routinely get into arguments that are over your head and keep fighting long after you've been dismembered.
                          You are certainly entitled to think that, Darthy.

I'm guessing you recognize this in yourself, don't much care for it, so you project it on others.
                          Hmmmmm.... It has always amazed me how people who accuse others of projecting are so often doing exactly what they're accusing others of doing.

My recommendation would be to go to a fighting gym, ask them if you can use their punching bag, then tape a picture of yourself to that and hit it until you get it out of your system. Maybe you'll realize for certain what it is about yourself that you really loathe so much. And whatever it is, stop taking it out on me.
                          What it sounds like, Darthy, is that I hit a nerve, and you're just really angry. For that, I apologize.

Here's the deal, Darthy --- I wasn't even talking to you when all this began....

Epo had said...
                          Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                          Children are the natural slaves of their parents...
                          And I thought that was a really dumb thing to say.
                          He pretty much admitted he was saying it to be provocative.
                          Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                          I try not to post something provocative without intending for you to remember it later.
                          It didn't take you long to chime in....
                          Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          I don't see the problem with what Epo said, parents are de facto owners of their kids.
                          And we were off to the races.

Comment

No, for most of his career, anyway, Jesus was more of a liberal Northern Baptist.
                            You're thinking of John.

Comment

What's with going out of your way not to capitalize Jews (twice) but capitalizing every other ethnicity?
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You're thinking of John.
                                No, he was not as liberal as Jesus.

Comment