Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I don't always use harsh words. I didn't on CP, but CP (and you) think that merely telling you you're wrong and explaining why constitutes "harsh words".
    Can you show where I've complained about you using "harsh words" on me?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I encourage you to stop posting.
      I'll pray about that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Can you show where I've complained about you using "harsh words" on me?
        I didn't say you complained.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I didn't say you complained.
          It's not so much your "harsh words", DE, it's your combative nature and critical spirit ABSENT any offsetting goodwill.

Comment

It's not so much your "harsh words", DE, it's your combative nature and critical spirit ABSENT any offsetting goodwill.
            This criticism strikes me as bizarre considering I've been told here several times that people can't tell when I'm serious and when I'm joking. Some people here get me, others, more dense, don't. That's ok, I can live with that. In this particular case though you never conceded defeat so there was no opportunity for me to be charitable.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

This criticism strikes me as bizarre considering I've been told here several times that people can't tell when I'm serious and when I'm joking. Some people here get me, others, more dense, don't. That's ok, I can live with that. In this particular case though you never conceded defeat so there was no opportunity for me to be charitable.
              "conceded defeat"? OH, I get it... this is one of those moments when you're being funny!!!! That's a GOOD ONE, Darthy!

Comment

• So, let's see... Does the Bible call Children "slaves", or indicate that we "own" them?

Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Matt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 18:2-6 He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

What on earth would cause a Christian to defend the nutty notion that children are slaves, or that we "own" them?

Comment

So, let's see... Does the Bible call Children "slaves", or indicate that we "own" them?

Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
                  Does a man own his arrows?

Matt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 18:2-6 He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
                  None of these verses are even remotely related to the issue. To quote, again, from my previous posts, since you still don't get it:

"An owned human being is a slave. That's the definition of slave. It doesn't imply anything else, like abuse or forced labour."

It also doesn't imply:

1) You can forbid them from coming to Jesus.
                  2) You cannot welcome a little child in his name
                  3) You can cause a child to sin.

What on earth would cause a Christian to defend the nutty notion that children are slaves, or that we "own" them?
                  Reality? As far as I can tell you still don't understand what a slave is, even though it's been explained to you repeatedly. At this point you're not merely ignorant, you are willfully ignorant. There's not much else I can do about that.

As an aside, this is also a good example of why we probably shouldn't legalize slavery again. Simpletons like CP will think owning a slave means you can do whatever you want with them, not at all unlike many of the slave owners of the antebellum South.
                  Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-17-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Darth, I find your definition of slavery lacking.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• My understanding of slavery is the proper one. CP's understanding of slavery is the same understanding of slavery fundy atheists use to attack the Bible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Darth, I find your definition of slavery lacking.
                        ETA: Slavery is a system which treats human beings as chattel to be bought or sold at will. A slave has no particular rights. They have no right to come and go as they choose, no right to refrain from work they are ordered to perform, and no right fo any payment for work performed, etc.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          ETA: Slavery is a system which treats human beings as chattel to be bought or sold at will. A slave has no particular rights. They have no right to come and go as they choose, no right to refrain from work they are ordered to perform, and no right fo any payment for work performed, etc.
                          Nope. That may be true of chattel slavery, but chattel slavery is not the only slavery system and since Epo never said the child is a chattel slave it's not really relevant to this discussion. The problem is that people think slavery = chattel slavery when it's not true.

Comment

Does a man own his arrows?

None of these verses are even remotely related to the issue. To quote, again, from my previous posts, since you still don't get it:

"An owned human being is a slave. That's the definition of slave. It doesn't imply anything else, like abuse or forced labour."

It also doesn't imply:

1) You can forbid them from coming to Jesus.
                            2) You cannot welcome a little child in his name
                            3) You can cause a child to sin.

Reality? As far as I can tell you still don't understand what a slave is, even though it's been explained to you repeatedly. At this point you're not merely ignorant, you are willfully ignorant. There's not much else I can do about that.

As an aside, this is also a good example of why we probably shouldn't legalize slavery again. Simpletons like CP will think owning a slave means you can do whatever you want with them, not at all unlike many of the slave owners of the antebellum South.
                            Why are you talking like you have an audience that would be in agreement with you. You, and maybe 2 other people on this whole entire forum think that children can be considered slaves, or think CP is a simpleton for disagreeing with you. I guarantee you have practically no support on this forum on this issue. If we were to make a poll right now of everyone on this forum, and then everyone in the United States, and then everyone in the Western world, you and people who think like you would be vastly outnumbered. You are the ignorant one here. Not CP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Why are you talking like you have an audience that would be in agreement with you. You, and maybe 2 other people on this whole entire forum think that children can be considered slaves, or think of CP as a simpleton for disagreeing with you. You have practically no support on this forum. If we were to make a poll right now of everyone on this forum, and then everyone in the United States, and then everyone in the Western world, you and people who think like you would be vastly outnumbered. You are the ignorant one here. Not CP.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Comment

• Words are defined by how they're used. Very few people in the English speaking world would agree with any definition of slavery that would include their own children.

Comment