Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wow. I believe you have just out epo'd yourself.
    I try not to post something provocative without intending for you to remember it later. Using 'archetypal clients and patrons' is more correct in the abstract sense, but less likely to impactfully and thoroughly explain certain psychological commonalities in other historical human relationships.

There are a lot of extremely foundational truth-observations that even the more conservative among you haven't yet internalized, so testing to see if you've come to see their truth whenever the opportunity comes up is a good exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      I try not to post something provocative without intending for you to remember it later.
      Yeah, every time I see your posts, I remember, "yup, another profoundly dumb statement".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        I try not to post something provocative without intending for you to remember it later.
        Here's the deal, Epo. What you don't seem to grasp is that, in your haste to "post something provocative", you often flush your intended message down the head with the load of poop in which you encapsulate it. I'm probably not the only one who reads your posts with a jaundiced eye, expecting something incredibly crass or boorish.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't see the problem with what Epo said, parents are de facto owners of their kids.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I don't see the problem with what Epo said, parents are de facto owners of their kids.
            Sure they are. But I would NEVER call my kids my "slaves". That's just so epo.

(Well, now that we have remotes to change TV channels, that is )

Comment

Sure they are. But I would NEVER call my kids my "slaves". That's just so epo.

(Well, now that we have remotes to change TV channels, that is )
              An owned human being is a slave. That's the definition of slave. It doesn't imply anything else, like abuse or forced labour.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

I wouldn't say that parents "own" their children. They are responsible for their children and welfare. They are their guardians, not their owners.

Comment

An owned human being is a slave.
                  And slavery is not a good thing.

That's the definition of slave. It doesn't imply anything else, like abuse or forced labour.
                  The connotation is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I wouldn't say that parents "own" their children. They are responsible for their children and welfare. They are their guardians, not their owners.
                    Guardian and owner are not mutually exclusive. In fact the former stems from the latter. You are responsible for your child because it's yours.

Comment

Guardian and owner are not mutually exclusive. In fact the former stems from the latter. You are responsible for your child because it's yours.
                      "it"?

Comment

And slavery is not a good thing.
                        It has a bad rap but it's not inherently good or bad. Otherwise God wouldn't have sanctioned it.

The connotation is disgusting.
                        Sounds like you have an emotional problem with the word "slave" rather than a rational one. I'm not your shrink so I can't help you there.

Comment

It has a bad rap but it's not inherently good or bad. Otherwise God wouldn't have sanctioned it.

Sounds like you have an emotional problem with the word "slave" rather than a rational one. I'm not your shrink so I can't help you there.
                          Sounds like you're bucking for an amen from Epo.

Comment

"it"?
                            Yes. Child is gender neutral so you use the gender neutral pronoun.

Comment

Sounds like you're bucking for an amen from Epo.
                              Sounds like you don't have any actual arguments.

Comment

Yes. Child is gender neutral so you use the gender neutral pronoun.
                                Only if you want to depersonalize the child. The fact that you support this goofy notion that children are "owned" and "slaves" and "it" is... well... it fits ya! You and Epo can share that characterization all you want.

Comment