Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    What's with going out of your way not to capitalize Jews (twice) but capitalizing every other ethnicity?
    Does asking me if I stopped beating my wife right after I chew out CP for asking me why I stopped beating my wife sound like a good idea to you?

I capitalize it here:
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ghlight=jewish

I also capitalize it here, where I am being very critical of them (and Seer, since some of the more special individuals here think we're twins. )
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post97723

In the same thread, in another post, I fail to capitalize the word:
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post97766

My posts in that thread are probably the most critical (of Jews) posts that I've ever written, and for the most part I capitalize the word.

So to answer your question: I didn't go out of my way not to capitalize Jews. Capitalizing is actually going out of my way since I have to press shift. Why didn't I capitalize "Jew" here? I don't know. Other than making sure to capitalize pronouns that refer to God, I don't really think about capitalization and how I can stick it to the Jews by dehumanizing them through grammar.

This is the most bizarre post I've responded to in quite some time.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It's really sad, Darthy, that you have such a screwed up view of Christ that you would post such a ridiculous comment.
      It's really sad, CP, that the HR department head you have looking over your shoulder can force you to act in such a petty and accusatory manner to one who has been more willing to discuss issues in-depth that you ever have. Let her post on her own, and we will deal with her understanding, or lack thereof, in turn.

We have already discussed the cleansing of the temple, and the fact that Jesus acted in righteous indignation - or even anger if you want to call it that. I have no problem with that - including the cursing of the fig tree.
      Your general overreaction and protesting way too much to issues that normally would have passed unremarked indicate that you would, in fact, have reacted in anger, shock, horror, and consternation...perhaps, indeed, with resentment that the God of the World would indeed judge men by their capability and how they used it in His service. Your only credit in this is that it was also the response of the disciples, but they had the excuse of ignorance, which you most definitely do not.

That's not what defined him, though. You guys are like petulant little children mocking who Christ was to justify your own penchant for being fractious, and pretending to win debates.
      Christ tended to answer loaded and foolish questions by paid agents with other questions, and it seems that you have not the patience for it, preferring to accuse others wildly. Again, I forgive you, as you are very likely under duress.

Do you REALLY think that the most prominent feature or character or nature of Christ was a combative nature? HONESTLY?
      It was a feature, so calling it 'unChristian' out of hand is reckless and irresponsible slander no matter how popular it may be in this current age. Channeling the impulse toward useful and pro-social ends (versus denying its use completely and acting surprised and shocked when it keeps coming up) is what grown men do.

To take those EXCEPTIONS and paint Christ as "combative" is to mock all He came to do -- healing, forgiving, feeding the 5,000, investing his time and energy into the disciples, washing their feet, teaching them about love....
      I have mocked none of that. Christ healed those who diligently sought him, I, (and Darth, in fact!) moderate and level my tone, even among professed liberals, if they do show an interest in knowledge. The intellectual and social wreckage of society, of course, requires that a whole lot of first principles and truisms that were held as common sense in earlier ages be stated again, and not denigrated via over-apology.

That you can even make such a comment in a mocking fashion portraying Christ as "combative" is beyond my comprehension.
      He certainly combated the works of the Devil and his agents, even at extremes of hunger and temperature. Lest you forget the purpose of this forum, not all battles are physical.

Is that all Christ is to you, Darthy? "Combative"?
      One must fight with the personality one has, not the one Billy Graham has, unless your name happens to be Billy Graham. I give you 10 points for effeminate maudlin drama, but trashing the God-given personality traits of your forefathers by assuming that anyone who holds them can't be Christian is on par with the father who gives his children serpents when they ask for bread. Do note that fathers who go out of their way to exasperate their children like this tend not to have a long shelf life in the nursing home. The Baby Boomer generation has, in general, gone out of its way to alienate itself from both its ancestors and its progeny, and you will share in their judgment if you share in their attitude and practice.

Your input, such as it is, is useless in most of our threads, because you are, as previously stated, heavily restricted in your range of acceptable opinions by your business associate(s) (atheist, lesbian, Jewish, and Human Resources apparatchiks are NOT whom you consult for timeless wisdom, they're who generally keep you and those who work for you from acquiring or applying that wisdom) and would probably be endangered career-wise if you said any of the things that me, Darth, seer, and others say publicly. If you quite obviously can't tell the truth or even explore it without hurting yourself and your family, then don't post, for both your sake and ours. Conduct your personal business as righteously as possible under your unenviable circumstances and leave us in peace.
      Last edited by Epoetker; 12-20-2014, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        It's really sad, CP, that the HR department head you have looking over your shoulder

I was her boss.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          No, he was not as liberal as Jesus.
          That might actually be an understatement.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Your input, such as it is, is useless in most of our threads, because you are, as previously stated, heavily restricted in your range of acceptable opinions by your business associate(s) (atheist, lesbian, Jewish, and Human Resources apparatchiks are NOT whom you consult for timeless wisdom, they're who generally keep you and those who work for you from acquiring or applying that wisdom) and would probably be endangered career-wise if you said any of the things that me, Darth, seer, and others say publicly. If you quite obviously can't tell the truth or even explore it without hurting yourself and your family, then don't post, for both your sake and ours. Conduct your personal business as righteously as possible under your unenviable circumstances and leave us in peace.
            Irony at its finest...

Although it is rather revealing that you seem incapable of producing anything to show that CP's accusation is actually wrong. See, I've been accused of being 'overly combative' before, but it seems when such accusations come. I can produce evidence that shows that I am quite capable of not being in combative mode. Why can't you? I know... a lowly woman, like myself, is clearly not capable of understanding your vast pretend understanding, but if CP is wrong... prove it.
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-20-2014, 08:27 AM.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think this is getting rather ridiculous and silly, at this point in time. I've been accused of being just combative, so I produce post and evidence that shows that I'm not just combative. It is rather revealing that Epo, Pap, nor DE seem to be able to produce anything that shows otherwise...
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                I think this is getting rather ridiculous and silly, at this point in time. I've been accused of being just combative, so I produce post and evidence that shows that I'm not just combative. It is rather revealing that Epo, Pap, nor DE seem to be able to produce anything that shows otherwise...
                I actually defended Pap in other discussions, and Epo is... well... Epo.

Darth is a different case, in my opinion. People on Tweb whose opinions I value greatly see things in him that I don't, so I'm seriously considering that I am looking at his posts through my prejudiced view of him as just an insolent little jackass who loves to make caustic remarks, and, seemingly by his own admission, is "here to fight".

Quite honestly, it is indeed making me reexamine my own posting.

Comment

I actually defended Pap in other discussions, and Epo is... well... Epo.

Darth is a different case, in my opinion. People on Tweb whose opinions I value greatly see things in him that I don't, so I'm seriously considering that I am looking at his posts through my prejudiced view of him as just an insolent little jackass who loves to make caustic remarks, and, seemingly by his own admission, is "here to fight".

Quite honestly, it is indeed making me reexamine my own posting.
                  Jesus wasn't always nice to others, so I do think there is a time to be combative. The key I think is the balance that we can all sometimes fail upon (on both ends of the spectrum). I still think it is rather revealing though not to see any sort of actual evidence, but more of the same 'tit for tat' responses that don't address the actual question asked.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jesus wasn't always nice to others, so I do think there is a time to be combative.
                    True, but it seems sometimes people use that as excuse to be combative ALL or a vast MAJORITY of the time. Some of our Mormon friends used that justification to be on the warpath, and I have used it as well.

The key I think is the balance that we can all sometimes fail upon (on both ends of the spectrum). I still think it is rather revealing though not to see any sort of actual evidence, but more of the same 'tit for tat' responses that don't address the actual question asked.
                    When you're honestly trying to see the "value" in somebody that others seem to see, and you get further confirmation of your own assessment of their hostility, yeah.... you wonder where is the offset.

Comment

I know... a lowly woman, like myself....
                      Speaking of which, I have a wedding this afternoon and I need a shirt ironed.

Comment

Your input, such as it is, is useless in most of our threads, because you are, as previously stated, heavily restricted in your range of acceptable opinions by your business associate(s) (atheist, lesbian, Jewish, and Human Resources apparatchiks are NOT whom you consult for timeless wisdom...
                        I didn't catch this til Pix responded to it, Epo, cause I skipped your entire post after the first sentence or two.

But I'm curious... what is your fascination with my atheist Jewish lesbian employee of 5 years ago? She was, and is, a friend, though we are by no means "running buddies". And she was one of 1200 employees at that job.

Comment

I am happy to acknowledge your greater appreciation of how liberal Jesus was.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            I am happy to acknowledge your greater appreciation of how liberal Jesus was.
                            Well, yeah, in the process of feeding hungry people, ministering to the down-and-outtters, healing, loving, forgiving.... he didn't have a whole lot of time to be "combative".

Let's just keep in mind that the "liberal / conservative" continuum can be different within the same person depending on the application (social, economic, political...)
                            Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM. Reason: replaced "polar opposite" with "different"

Comment

Ah, a new one. Only because you're new to the party:

That I choose not to swat a fly does not imply that I am unable to do so. The topic of the debate is about the meaning of "slave", not "Is Paprika just combative?" I simply can't be bothered to answer most of CP's, Adrift's, and pancreasman's red herrings, as there is no benefit to be accrued from doing so.

Those who have read my posts or choose to look up my post history will know the truth; I couldn't care less whether you or others think otherwise. That you or others care about not appearing to be "just combative" doesn't imply that I care or should care.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                                Those who have read my posts or choose to look up my post history will know the truth;
                                Amen to that!

Comment