Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can YOU do this?

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am all for the men in my life taking up residence in the kitchen. My husband used to cook a bit, but doesn't much now because my son does a fair bit. My daughter married a trained chef who cooks for every family get together.

The rule in my house is that if you cook, you don't wash dishes, and so I rarely do them. No dishwasher, they are done the old-fangled way by one of my men. When my son cooks, Mr. mossy generally volunteers for clean up duty.

Works great, imo. And I certainly don't feel any less a woman for it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks, y'all.

And to clarify, it's not so much the fact that I can't cook (although that does make her mad), it's the fact that I need the why's and how's explained to me that gets her so worked up. She thinks that I should learn it all by watching, with no verbal instructions, and not ask any questions about why something is done the way it is. Then I tell her the story of the girl whose mother always cut the end off the ham before roasting it, and the girls asks her why. The mother didn't know why - it's just what her mother always did. So the girl goes to the grandmother and asks her why she did it that way, and it turns out her pan was too small for the whole ham. The mother was cutting off the end of the ham for no reason, since she was using a bigger pan. I don't think that story gets the point across very well because she just rolls her eyes at me. I want to fully understand what I am doing in the kitchen so that I can be proficient at what I am doing in the kitchen.

I have actually been seriously considering cooking school or something along those lines. Maybe something online. I dunno. All I know, is that I would rather be living with my husband right now so I don't have to be in my mother's kitchen at all. He doesn't complain about my cooking much.

Oh, and I forgot the garlic in the dal recipe. I will fix that now.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, this is much too late to be of any real help, but why should common sense get all the fun?

My guess is that your mom learns visually. You are literally asking for something she cannot do. She doesn't know why she uses a half inch of oil to fry somethings and none for others. She simply knows which is which because that is what she learned. To try to assign reasons is like asking her to sprout wings and fly. Probably just as frustrating to her.