Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Uhm, niceness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But he's the OTHER others.
    I am so "Lost"............

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I am so "Lost"............
      Jesus is the way.

(and I'm so glad you know that)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus is the way.

(and I'm so glad you know that)
        Me, too!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          You are not a wuss. There people on this site who do not give the benefit of the doubt to a post.
          Well, that's my position too, I just wanted to frame the question fairly and try to be light hearted.

Not necessarily. I think some people want to win arguments more than build one another up.
          Which is just about one of the silliest things I can think of. I put this in Christianity because we have actual moral teachings as KG so wisely pointed out in his first post, the fruit of the Spirit at the very least, certainly other theists have rational ways of arriving at a system of morality, but atheists? The ones I've presented the moral argument to thought I was being silly calling them out on being irrational.

I'm not sure its a component of love. I think some peoples' actions are more indicative of a lack of respect for others.
          Want to discuss this? Because I think an argument could be made that love requires many things in many situations, among them respect, kindness, and even rebuking.

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Especially in this overtly sentimental age, niceness often carries the connotation of being pleasing; ie it is not defined in terms of what the actor does like kindeness but in what the recipient feels.
          I picked the quoted two word definition out of the top result of a Google search. How would you define niceness, or if you prefer a more Biblical term "kindness" please enlighten me since I am apparently too sentimental and a wuss on top of that.
          Last edited by Pentecost; 12-18-2014, 11:03 PM.
          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
            I picked the quoted two word definition out of the top result of a Google search. How would you define niceness, or if you prefer a more Biblical term "kindness"
            I've already pointed out the key difference between them.

please enlighten me since I am apparently too sentimental and a wuss on top of that.
            Reread my earlier post.

Comment

Exactly -- and I DO hope that others realize I was just playing -- mocking that meme -- cause Sparko is one of my best buddies --- I HAVE to love Rogue, cause he's my brother and Mom insisted before she passed that I do that, and I reasonably tolerate you, Pman, cause I like the Australian accent.
              Speaking of brothers, our brother Astra said she would try to come by more often after Christmas!

Comment

Now, I know good=/=nice and nice=/=Christian but not naming names there is a startling large segment of Christians on this site (I've rarely met Christians in real life I have this issue with) who apparently don't give the benefit of the doubt to someone or I'll agree with someone's sentiment, but the words they use make me question where the love is. Still not naming names but do others agree to this general sentiment? Or am I a proverbial wuss? :P

I wouldn't think it's because we're a theology site, but if it because of that is it because it is a subject that attracts more arrogant people?

Again, I really am not asking for names that would be very inappropriate; the question basically boils down to is "niceness" a component of love? Are we under doing it? Are we even over emphasizing it?
                I think part of it is due to the anonymity of the Internet - we're not going to meet the people we might have been a little (or a lot) rude to at the supermarket, or in church. So perhaps that makes us less restrained in our responses. I heard a sermon that talked about this a bit - the idea that 'no-one's watching' makes us act a lot less morally -and he pointed out that even sweet and lovely Youtube videos had vile comments made in the comments section.

The second part that comes to mind is that there's a degree of subjectivity in this - one person's 'blunt to the point' can be another person's 'that was rude'. So a poster might feel that they're not being unkind or rude, and be quite OK if others address them in the same tone they use, but to others they might come across as gruff and impolite. The flip side is that perhaps some posters are more sensitive to this than others, and may feel slighted even when there's no intent to do so.

tl;dr

We should err on the side of being kind, if we are to err at all.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I've already pointed out the key difference between them.

Reread my earlier post.
                  My definition of niceness does not rely upon anyone except the person being nice. So your differentiation made no sense. I was hoping you'd elaborate since you apparently have an opposing opinion. Which is how growth of knowledge generally occurs, a discussion, not casual dismissals. This isn't a Lawrence Krauss debate.

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  I think part of it is due to the anonymity of the Internet - we're not going to meet the people we might have been a little (or a lot) rude to at the supermarket, or in church. So perhaps that makes us less restrained in our responses. I heard a sermon that talked about this a bit - the idea that 'no-one's watching' makes us act a lot less morally -and he pointed out that even sweet and lovely Youtube videos had vile comments made in the comments section.

The second part that comes to mind is that there's a degree of subjectivity in this - one person's 'blunt to the point' can be another person's 'that was rude'. So a poster might feel that they're not being unkind or rude, and be quite OK if others address them in the same tone they use, but to others they might come across as gruff and impolite. The flip side is that perhaps some posters are more sensitive to this than others, and may feel slighted even when there's no intent to do so.

tl;dr

We should err on the side of being kind, if we are to err at all.
                  But we're Christians! We already know someone is watching, our God for one. And even further, we have been set apart and our actions should be different from the world. And,

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (*1 Corinthians‬ *13‬:*1-7‬ ESV)

Even the Internet. Yes, it takes effort when the people on the other end of the screen don't seem real but no one comes to post unless they think they know things and if they're a Christian they should be held to a higher standard.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

My definition of niceness does not rely upon anyone except the person being nice... This isn't a Lawrence Krauss debate.
                    It isn't? Then you might want to refrain from giving meaningless circular definitions.

Comment

It isn't? Then you might want to refrain from giving meaningless circular definitions.
                      Pleasant or agreeable. On what part does that definition rely upon itself to make sense? To clarify I said nice and kind are interchangeable, and you haven't said anything that I haven't addressed so I don't know what your issue is.

Comment

Pleasant or agreeable. On what part does that definition rely upon itself to make sense? To clarify I said nice and kind are interchangeable, and you haven't said anything that I haven't addressed so I don't know what your issue is.
                        You hit the nail on the head. Kinda. It's not "issue" ---- Pappy has "issues".

I tend to think there's something going on his life that causes him to have such a caustic disposition. Or maybe he had a bad experience with a Sunday School teacher when he was a kid. That happened to ME! I attended a LUTHERAN Vacation Bible School with a friend of mine because he attended MY VBS, and this Lutheran teacher smacked my hand with a ruler when we were doing arts and crafts.

I've had it out for the Lutherans ever since. When I got old enough, I MARRIED one and made her become a Baptist!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Speaking of brothers, our brother Astra said she would try to come by more often after Christmas!
                          Who is this Astra of whom you speak?
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Want to discuss this? Because I think an argument could be made that love requires many things in many situations, among them respect, kindness, and even rebuking.
                            Sure. This thread, new thread, or PM - your choice and lead off.

PS: If you start a new thread, let me know. Please note I am not the fastest responder in T-Web.
                            Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 12-19-2014, 08:35 PM.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Who is this Astra of whom you speak?
                              Our long lost brother. We will surely have to kill the fatted calf when he returns!

Comment

Our long lost brother. We will surely have to kill the fatted calf when he returns!
                                so you not only poke cattle but kill their babies too after fattening them up? Who ARE you??? The Witch from Hansel and Gretel?

Comment