Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Uhm, niceness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'm curious what he had to say about it, because I didn't know him on TWeb (wasn't on at that time), but I know him apart from this site and he's somebody I very highly respect.
    It was a long time ago (and, I believe, in more than one thread). Basically he was pointing out what has been pointed out many times before about the use of insult rhetoric. Holding and a couple other Tekton regulars got into it with him. Called him a whiner or baby or something like that. I don't remember the details cept that it was pretty nasty. I think he was going by the handle Theonomy at the time.

Comment

Sometimes the mere words we pick, even when well meaning can hurt. It is my understanding, the mere words can at times only communicate as little as 3% of what is meant by them.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
        The usual definition of "pleasant; or agreeable" suits well, or a sort of polite kindness was how I was meaning it, but it works just as well if we just used it as a synonym for "kindness" instead. As KG pointed out Jesus was not always nice and as I said Christianity does not mean necessarily being good. Love, patience, kindness, goodness, are all things that can be perceived as nice. But love requires the truth, patience must have a reason, good once again as I said does not equal nice. Kind... Kind of does mean nice.
        Especially in this overtly sentimental age, niceness often carries the connotation of being pleasing; ie it is not defined in terms of what the actor does like kindeness but in what the recipient feels.

Are we even over emphasizing it?
        Obviously.

Comment

When the debate side of the site gets to be too much, I recommend spending time in the fellowship areas, like the lobby, amphitheater, rec room, poop deck, the rolling pin, etc. I spend most of my time there getting to know people and make friends. Everyone is welcome and they are for entertainment and goofing around rather than debate and fighting. Once you make friends with someone, it is much harder to be uncivil to them in the debate areas.

Comment

Now, I know good=/=nice and nice=/=Christian but not naming names there is a startling large segment of Christians on this site (I've rarely met Christians in real life I have this issue with) who apparently don't give the benefit of the doubt to someone or I'll agree with someone's sentiment, but the words they use make me question where the love is. Still not naming names but do others agree to this general sentiment? Or am I a proverbial wuss? :P

I wouldn't think it's because we're a theology site, but if it because of that is it because it is a subject that attracts more arrogant people?

Again, I really am not asking for names that would be very inappropriate; the question basically boils down to is "niceness" a component of love? Are we under doing it? Are we even over emphasizing it?
            You'd be surprised how different a person will act in person than on their internet handle. Almost every forum, comment section, chatroom displays the same behavior. I think it's more just par for course of the anonymous internet culture and how they interact with each other online.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              It was a long time ago (and, I believe, in more than one thread). Basically he was pointing out what has been pointed out many times before about the use of insult rhetoric. Holding and a couple other Tekton regulars got into it with him. Called him a whiner or baby or something like that. I don't remember the details cept that it was pretty nasty. I think he was going by the handle Theonomy at the time.
              Huh. I don't recall that. I recall others complaining about it (and I sometimes think it goes too far), but not Glenn.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Huh. I don't recall that. I recall others complaining about it (and I sometimes think it goes too far), but not Glenn.
                Yeah, googling it, I think it was in a thread called Explain Why This is Offensive in the Tektonics section. I remember being a bit surprised when I ran across it too, because outside of those early threads, Glenn didn't really bring up the topic very much. Of course, he wasn't the only one who brought up the topic, as you probably know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  When the debate side of the site gets to be too much, I recommend spending time in the fellowship areas, like the lobby, amphitheater, rec room, poop deck, the rolling pin, etc. I spend most of my time there getting to know people and make friends. Everyone is welcome and they are for entertainment and goofing around rather than debate and fighting. Once you make friends with someone, it is much harder to be uncivil to them in the debate areas.
                  Says YOU, ya big dumb poppiehead.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Says YOU, ya big dumb poppiehead.
                    Which is actually at least some of the level of 'debating' we get around here. I could stand put downs in the style of Oscar Wilde or Groucho Marx, but 'harsh medicine' that is only childish malice is no debate tactic, it's an illustration of character.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      Which is actually at least some of the level of 'debating' we get around here. I could stand put downs in the style of Oscar Wilde or Groucho Marx, but 'harsh medicine' that is only childish malice is no debate tactic, it's an illustration of character.
                      Exactly -- and I DO hope that others realize I was just playing -- mocking that meme -- cause Sparko is one of my best buddies --- I HAVE to love Rogue, cause he's my brother and Mom insisted before she passed that I do that, and I reasonably tolerate you, Pman, cause I like the Australian accent.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Exactly -- and I DO hope that others realize I was just playing -- mocking that meme -- cause Sparko is one of my best buddies --- I HAVE to love Rogue, cause he's my brother and Mom insisted before she passed that I do that, and I reasonably tolerate you, Pman, cause I like the Australian accent.
                        LOL, stop worrying about me, I know a joke when I see one. I'm not completely insane, only a liberal. (Insert punchline here).

Comment

Now, I know good=/=nice and nice=/=Christian but not naming names there is a startling large segment of Christians on this site (I've rarely met Christians in real life I have this issue with) who apparently don't give the benefit of the doubt to someone or I'll agree with someone's sentiment, but the words they use make me question where the love is. Still not naming names but do others agree to this general sentiment? Or am I a proverbial wuss? :P
                          You are not a wuss. There people on this site who do not give the benefit of the doubt to a post.

I wouldn't think it's because we're a theology site, but if it because of that is it because it is a subject that attracts more arrogant people?
                          Not necessarily. I think some people want to win arguments more than build one another up.

Again, I really am not asking for names that would be very inappropriate; the question basically boils down to is "niceness" a component of love? Are we under doing it? Are we even over emphasizing it?
                          I'm not sure its a component of love. I think some peoples' actions are more indicative of a lack of respect for others.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                            LOL, stop worrying about me, I know a joke when I see one.
                            Wasn't worried about you --- you obviously got it... I said "others". YOU, sir, are not others!

I'm not completely insane, only a liberal. (Insert punchline here).
                            Should we start a thread on that first part?

Comment

He is so "others." Why are you excluding him? That is non nice.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                He is so "others." Why are you excluding him? That is non nice.
                                But he's the OTHER others.

Comment