Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Uhm, niceness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Our long lost brother. We will surely have to kill the fatted calf when he returns!
    I will tell her about that.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I will tell her about that.
      Yeah, our brother the her.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        so you not only poke cattle but kill their babies too after fattening them up? Who ARE you??? The Witch from Hansel and Gretel?
        close, but no cigar
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          Pleasant or agreeable.
          You said "My definition of niceness does not rely upon anyone except the person being nice."

To clarify I said nice and kind are interchangeable, and you haven't said anything that I haven't addressed so I don't know what your issue is.
          I asserted a key difference between being "nice" and being "kind"; that you haven't addressed at all, besides stating that you disagree.
          D

Comment

close, but no cigar
            You always did prefer to say "I'll get you my pretty. And your little dog too."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

close, but no cigar
              well at least you aren't forcing them to smoke cigars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                well at least you aren't forcing them to smoke cigars.
                Not unless they stand or sit in the smoking area.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  You always did prefer to say "I'll get you my pretty. And your little dog too."

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    You said "My definition of niceness does not rely upon anyone except the person being nice."

I asserted a key difference between being "nice" and being "kind"; that you haven't addressed at all, besides stating that you disagree.
                    D
                    Your assertion that it's a matter of perception vs. action, does not stand up under scrutiny as at least 3 prominent dictionaries disagree with your assertion.

BOLD EMPHASIS MINE - NOT IN THE ORIGINAL

Cambridge Dictionary (Cambridge.com)
                    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...n-english/nice
                    nice: adjective [-er/-est only] /nɑɪs/ us
                    nice adjective [-er/-est only] (PLEASANT)
                    › pleasant, enjoyable, or satisfactory:
                    Have a nice day!
                    It was nice talking to you.
                    That’s a really nice restaurant.
                    She plans to start running more when the weather gets nicer.

nice adjective [-er/-est only] (KIND)
                    kind or friendly:
                    I wish you’d be nice to your brother.
                    He’s very smart, but he isn’t very nice.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Merriam-Webster.com
                    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nice
                    nice adjective \ˈnīs\
                    : giving pleasure or joy : good and enjoyable
                    : attractive or of good quality
                    : kind, polite, and friendly
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Dictionary.com
                    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nice?s=t
                    Nice: adjective, nicer, nicest.
                    1. pleasing; agreeable; delightful:
                    "a nice visit."
                    2. amiably pleasant; kind:
                    "They are always nice to strangers."
                    Last edited by Littlejoe; 12-20-2014, 08:48 AM.
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

D
                      Oh yeah, a throw away statement that is irrelevant when I already gave a clear definition elsewhere? Yeah, I am super circular. Triangles give me the creeps. >.>

Oh, is there a difference between you asserting that I'm wrong and me asserting that you're wrong that gives you the edge? My mistake no one told me that part.

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      Sure. This thread, new thread, or PM - your choice and lead off.

PS: If you start a new thread, let me know. Please note I am not the fastest responder in T-Web.
                      I figure that this thread is fine TM. So to recap, I said being nice is part of love, and you said that it's a matter of respect, and then I said being nice and respectful are both things that often happen when you love someone.

Perhaps the way to get to is 1 Corinthians 13, and Galatians 5.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (*1 Corinthians‬ *13‬:*4-5‬ ESV)

If we are using nice and kind interchangeably then love is "expressed" through kindness. And rudeness is the opposite of being respectful (unless you disagree?) so love is not not respectful.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (*Galatians‬ *5‬:*22-23‬ ESV)

In this list love and kindness are not connected except that both are virtues. I am unsure if you'd want to claim respect is covered by one of these but I don't see that.
                      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Oh yeah, a throw away statement that is irrelevant when I already gave a clear definition elsewhere? Yeah, I am super circular. Triangles give me the creeps. >.>
                        Hey, if you must call your own statement irrelevant

Oh, is there a difference between you asserting that I'm wrong and me asserting that you're wrong that gives you the edge? My mistake no one told me that part.
                        No, dumbass, it's you claiming that you've addressed all I said when you haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Your assertion that it's a matter of perception vs. action, does not stand up under scrutiny as at least 3 prominent dictionaries disagree with your assertion.

Originally posted by Paprika
                          Especially in this overtly sentimental age, niceness often carries the connotation of being pleasing; ie it is not defined in terms of what the actor does like kindeness but in what the recipient feels.
                          Focus on the bolded bit, if you can; when you quote to the effect that "nice" both can be and can not be synonymous to "kind" does not in any way contradict my statement; if anything it can form supporting evidence

Comment

Focus on the bolded bit, if you can; when you quote to the effect that "nice" both can be and can not be synonymous to "kind" does not in any way contradict my statement; if anything it can form supporting evidence
                            Submit evidence to Pap that he is wrong ends up with him hand waving away the evidence. Back to me ignoring you. Thanks for the laugh!
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Submit evidence to Pap that he is wrong ends up with him hand waving away the evidence.

Your "evidence" that I am wrong only serves to support the point I made.

Back to me ignoring you. Thanks for the laugh!
                              Ah yes, by all means go back to your "ignore until you see something else to shoot down and miserably fail".

Comment

I figure that this thread is fine TM. So to recap, I said being nice is part of love, and you said that it's a matter of respect, and then I said being nice and respectful are both things that often happen when you love someone.

Perhaps the way to get to is 1 Corinthians 13, and Galatians 5.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (*1 Corinthians‬ *13‬:*4-5‬ ESV)

If we are using nice and kind interchangeably then love is "expressed" through kindness. And rudeness is the opposite of being respectful (unless you disagree?) so love is not not respectful.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (*Galatians‬ *5‬:*22-23‬ ESV)

In this list love and kindness are not connected except that both are virtues. I am unsure if you'd want to claim respect is covered by one of these but I don't see that.
                                First I don't see how one could practice the two passages and not be respectful. I guess I would say that you can show respect without being loving towards the person. Simple example, I am respectful (patient, kind, gentle, and self-controlled) to my co-workers but I would be hesitant to say I love them.

Somehow I think loving someone requires some degree of experience with them including their "bad / unlovable" features. God loves us despite knowing who we are. I don't know that on a social board like this you could really get to know anyone well enough to say you really know them. Certainly the news is full of people who got deceived on-line in that when they met they found the other was nothing like what the on-line posts would say.

Maybe I do define love to too high a standard. Probably because the word has become so overused that it is more meaningless. (I am suddenly curious to know when saying "I love my car" became acceptable speech.) Yes, I'm not really sure anyone on T-Web can really say they love me because my full person is not visible to them. Yes in face-to-face relationships, one can hide parts of themselves. However its harder to do because in face-to-face, you get all the visual and aural cues that are missing in a post.

Respect can be given immediately to someone. Most people respect the stranger they met on the street, the clerk in the store, the receptionist, the policeman, etc. The same applies to an on-line post. I try to respect the poster and respond assuming they meant well. If I can't, I've learned to walk away from the post rather than respond.

Bottom line: while not mentioned in the two passages, I hold respect is present because you can't practice those virtues and not have respect. So when you say people don't love when they respond to posts and I say people don't respect, it comes down to the same thing. People are not relating to others as God desires and therefore they have sinned against the other person and God.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment