Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Behold, atheists' new Ten Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Thinking for oneself and being informed leads to mass human extinction?
    For most people yes on the former. For the latter, I said "pretty good", not "perfect". Of course, being informed as opposed to being misinformed is itself a titanic task for most people.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The Humanist Manifesto is somewhat better worded and thought out then these principles.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
        Who or which culture defines good?

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
        How could a finite creature ever really know the long term consequences of any moral action.

8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
        Why? After you are dead it won't matter - to you.

9. There is no one right way to live.
        So Stalin's way to live is just as valid as Mother Teresa's?

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
        Again, why?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Who or which culture defines good?
          Good question, that you could not answer either.

How could a finite creature ever really know the long term consequences of any moral action?
          In human history the social conventions of morality have evolved to guarantee the survival of future generations. The necessary criteria are: (1) the family unit to raise children to maturity. (2) cooperation of stable community social units to ensure safety. (3) a system of morals and ethics as social contracts that determine what is moral and immoral. (4) A system of governance to enforce that social contracts are enforced.

Why? After you are dead it won't matter - to you.
          It matters to the future generations.

So Stalin's way to live is just as valid as Mother Teresa's?
          No in all cultures and societies the survival of future generations is dependent on 'Stalin's way to live does not dominate.'
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I find it ironic that even in defining their rules, atheists have to copy religion and come up with "10 commandments" - and twist them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I find it ironic that even in defining their rules, atheists have to copy religion and come up with "10 commandments" - and twist them.
              This bespeaks a deep ignorance of the origin of morality. For human beings to survive, the taboos of theft and murder must have preceded the codifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Few of us wish for our lives to be ended against our will.
                I'd like to focus on this example: sure, few people wish for their own lives to be ended against their will, but this only implies that for one specific person only one person doesn't wish for this person's life to be ended against his will. As it stands, this doesn't immediately translate to a "shared goal" or things "all" value.

Comment

As if the original 10 were actually ten and started with religion.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    I'd like to focus on this example: sure, few people wish for their own lives to be ended against their will, but this only implies that for one specific person only one person doesn't wish for this person's life to be ended against his will. As it stands, this doesn't immediately translate to a "shared goal" or things "all" value.
                    Yay English! My use of shared here is in terms of things we have in common. That is, you value your life and I value my life. Our value of our lives is something we have in common. I realize that shared can mean we both value my life, but that's not how I was using it. Hence, we all value our own lives and can agree on tenets that protect that life.

For what it's worth, I do think we care about the lives of others even if it's too a lesser extent. There's a sense of vulnerability that arises when you realize that your life can be ended just as quickly as that other guy's.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      This bespeaks a deep ignorance of the origin of morality. For human beings to survive, the taboos of theft and murder must have preceded the codifying.
                      That wasn't what I was saying.

Basically I was saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Atheism has it's own church now, and it's own 10 commandments. What's next? It's own God?

Comment

Atheism has it's own church now, and it's own 10 commandments. What's next? It's own God?
                        I think the point is to modernize the rules, but if you're flattered by that, that's okay. Many of us would be in trouble if we had to follow "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." Have you ever exerted yourself on the sabbath?

Comment

The problem is these supposed commandments are nothing new. Before Christianity and Hebrew writings they were apart of Vedic teaching in India, and Neolithic China. Social morals and codes of conduct have been around as long as humans have been social animals, and similar simpler codes of conduct such as these exist in primate societies. In chimpanzees theft and wrongful injury to others is punished.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2014, 01:29 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            The problem is these supposed commandments are nothing new. Before Christianity and Hebrew writings they were apart of Vedic teaching in India, and Neolithic China. Social morals and codes of conduct have been around as long as humans have been social animals, and similar simpler codes of conduct such as these exist in primate societies. In chimpanzees theft and wrongful injury to others is punished.
                            I never claimed they were new. and we already have laws against stealing, murder, etc. My point is that atheists are to the point where they imitate religion. They start their own churches, come up with a set of rules they call the 10 commandments. The obvious parallel is that they are imitating religion.

Comment

A couple of things. Atheists coming up with ten commandments aren't really making rules, rather using a culturally significant literary device to make a point. Secondly, I don't think most atheists believe all of religion is inherently wrong and must be discarded. You guys have some good ideas in there. It would be churlish (or Seer-like) to deny the contributions the other side makes simply because they make them.

Comment

They start their own churches, come up with a set of rules they call the 10 commandments.
                                What skeptics do you know who start churches? I'd say about 99% of atheists don't start churches. Those commandments were meant to drive home the point that the Decalogue needs an update.

Comment