Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Weaknesses of atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Yes, it was a troll post, like everything else he writes.
    I disagree, Troll posts are generally abusive to others and their beliefs, and no everything first floor writes is not Trollish. The above post is on the edge without reason.

If he is an atheist, so What!?!?!?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      Wow, that's quite a barrage of many possible answers. Pick one.
      I didn't give a barrage of possible answers. Just one as an example: Cornell Realism.

I had never stumbled over "Cornell Realism" until now.
      OK.

It's gone over in most intro to contemporary meta-ethics courses, sort of like how utilitarianism would be gone over in most intro to moral philosophy courses.

I am puzzled. While trying to figure out that passage just above, I recalled Acts 10:9-17, which is a story about God telling Peter that food that was ceremonially unclean (unholy) can now be eaten (no longer sinful). Later verses show Peter telling others what God commanded. I wonder what your reaction would be.
      First, I need to correct a mistake I made. I wrote this:
      "And please don't tell me that you think the actual reason to oppose Nazis, has something to do with following divine orders. That'd just be a form of moral objectivism."
      when I should have written this (bolding added):
      "And please don't tell me that you think the actual reason to oppose Nazis, has something to do with following divine orders. That'd just be a form of moral subjectivism."

Second, what is it that you find confusing about it?

Third, I'm not sure what your passage is meant to show in relation to what I wrote. If the point is that our moral obligations are derived from God's commands, then I reject that as being a form of moral subjectivism, with the attendant problems that come with such subjectivism.

The main thing for Christians to keep in mind is that neither atheists nor agnostics are Christian. The difference between those camps isn't important.
      Well, one can be an agnostic Christian: belief that the Christian God exists (and belief other tenets of the faith), without claiming to know.

Have you managed to rule out the possibility that we can have both cause and effect occurring at the same time? I wonder if the idea of quantum foam can be invoked here ???
      Simultaneous causation is incoherent, especially when the cause (a temporal state) is causing something (time) that's a logically pre-requisite for the existence of the cause.

And no, quantum events wouldn't help you here, since those don't involve that. Now, you might have acausal simultaneous relationships, such as constitution relationships (ex: X is constituted by Y, or Y is a part of X), identity relationships (ex: X is identical to Y), relationships of logical necessity, some probabilistic/mathematical acausal relationship, etc. And that's how some scientists treat relationships among various quantum phenomena: as acausal, probabilistic relationships.
      Last edited by Jichard; 04-22-2015, 01:27 AM.
      "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jichard View Post
        I didn't give a barrage of possible answers. Just one as an example: Cornell Realism.
        You did write this: "There are plenty of versions of moral objectivism, that are compatible with atheism."

Simultaneous causation is incoherent, especially when the cause (a temporal state) is causing something (time) that's a logically pre-requisite for the existence of the cause.
        Assuming determinism, the reason an avalanche started is that the universe had evolved to a state that can cause the avalanche. So, both cause and effect in the same moment.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Assuming determinism, the reason an avalanche started is that the universe had evolved to a state that can cause the avalanche. So, both cause and effect in the same moment.
          No, the reason for the avalanche is the suitable natural conditions determined by Natural Law. There is not any evidence that Natural Law evolved.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

You did write this: "There are plenty of versions of moral objectivism, that are compatible with atheism."
            And then I gave one example of an answer: Cornell Realism.

Not so. Assuming determinism, the reason as avalanche started was some aspect of the universe prior to the avalanche (for example: an earthquake occurring before the avalanche). So the cause temporally precedes the effect it produces.
            "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              No, the reason for the avalanche is the suitable natural conditions determined by Natural Law. There is not any evidence that Natural Law evolved.
              I for got one point here. The cause being the natural conditions determined by Natural Laws. The cause preceded the event. Jichard gave one example. and earthquake, but there can be a number of natural conditions as causes that precede the event.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Jichard View Post
                Not so. Assuming determinism, the reason as avalanche started was some aspect of the universe prior to the avalanche (for example: an earthquake occurring before the avalanche). So the cause temporally precedes the effect it produces.
                What earthquake? The ground is always quaking. Teensy weensy movements and others up to magnitude 10. Minor point anyway, so that's my last reply.
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Dear eschaton,

Thank you for sharing those resources on the weaknesses of atheism.

As far as the video playlist you shared, Dr. Craig really had the atheist Christopher Hitchens on the ropes in that Christianity vs. atheism debate and Hichen's phony excuse that his earphone was not working and he could not hear Craig's request to provide evidence for atheism was a classic debate moment (This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDd...fZhuZ7vn3UKlxo ).

If you want to see a large number of the weaknesses of atheism, this article contains a great number of them: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism

Comment

• Originally posted by meshak View Post
                    Dear eschaton,

Thank you for sharing those resources on the weaknesses of atheism.

As far as the video playlist you shared, Dr. Craig really had the atheist Christopher Hitchens on the ropes in that Christianity vs. atheism debate and Hichen's phony excuse that his earphone was not working and he could not hear Craig's request to provide evidence for atheism was a classic debate moment (This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDd...fZhuZ7vn3UKlxo ).

If you want to see a large number of the weaknesses of atheism, this article contains a great number of them: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism
                    I reviewed the cite and found it to be a very poor source to understand atheism. First, a fundamentalist view, and opposed to the science of evolution and equating the belief in evolution with atheism. Second, many of the correlations with extreme negative human behavior like pedophilia and atheism is hocus bogus.

Frank

Comment

• Well, if you want to know about atheism, who better to ask than people who hate it? After all, if you want to know what Christians believe, your best bet is to ask an atheist, right?

Comment

What earthquake? The ground is always quaking. Teensy weensy movements and others up to magnitude 10. Minor point anyway, so that's my last reply.
                        Check the news we just had a major earthquake in Tibet, which caused large avalanches.

Frank

Comment