Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Two NYPD Officers Gunned Down as They Sat in Their Radio Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sadly, two NYPD officers were assassinated as they sat in their radio car just a few hours ago.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/20/2-nypd-...e-in-brooklyn/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      **Removed link for profanity ***

The gunman was a fugitive who had just murdered his girlfriend in Baltimore Saturday morning, sources told The Post.
      The girlfriend was wounded and expected to survive.

From CBS:

Source: NYPD cop killer shot girlfriend in Baltimore first

Brinsley went to the home of a former girlfriend in Owings Mills in the Baltimore area and shot and wounded her around 5:45 a.m. on Sunday, reports CBS Baltimore. That victim is expected to survive

© Copyright Original Source

From Slate:

Source: Man Shoots, Kills Two NYC Cops “Execution Style,” Apparently as Revenge for Garner, Brown

The New York Daily News identifies the gunman as Ismaaiyl Brinsley. Both the News and the New York Post claim the gunman shot the police officers hours after he shot his girlfriend in Baltimore. Brinsley's 29-year-old girlfriend was shot in the stomach, underwent surgery, and is expected to survive, one of her family members told the Daily News.

Responding to initial reports, this post originally misstated that Brinsley's girlfriend in Baltimore had been killed. It was updated upon news that she was expected to survive.

From US News and World Report:

Source: AP Sources: Cops' Killer Angry Over Eric Garner Death

Earlier Saturday, Bratton said, Brinsley went to the home of a former girlfriend in the Baltimore area and shot and wounded her. Police there said they noticed Brinsley posting to the woman's Instagram account about a threat to New York officers. Baltimore-area officials sent a warning flier to New York City police, who received it around the time of the shooting, Bratton said.

From the Baltimore Sun:

Source: Killer of 2 NYPD officers first shot ex-girlfriend in Owings Mills

Police in New York and Baltimore County said they believe Ismaaiyl Abdulah Brinsley shot and wounded his ex-girlfriend before 6 a.m. Saturday at an apartment near the Owings Mills Mall, then posted anti-law enforcement messages on social media as he traveled to Brooklyn, N.Y.

From Yahoo News:

Source: Ismaaiyl Brinsley, 28, ID'd as shooter of two NYPD officers in Brooklyn ambush 'assassinations'

Brinsley posted a sinister message on Instagram earlier Saturday along with an image of a silver handgun and hashtags invoking the names of Michael Brown and Eric Garner after reportedly shooting and wounding a former girlfriend in Baltimore.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The girlfriend was wounded and expected to survive.
        Yeah, this is one of those details that kinda got scrambled....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          That is far more indicative that Brinsley was a Muslim than his name (as I noted earlier I have known blacks with Arabic names who were not Muslim). Now do we have any evidence that he converted or was he born into a Muslim family.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, this is one of those details that kinda got scrambled....
            And about the only good news that has thus far come out of this tragedy aside from (apologies for the callousness) that the shooter is no longer a threat to anyone.

Comment

That is far more indicative that Brinsley was a Muslim than his name (as I noted earlier I have known blacks with Arabic names who were not Muslim). Now do we have any evidence that he converted or was he born into a Muslim family.
              I think we might be focusing too much on the "Muslim" aspect, when he obviously was mainly focused on the "they (cops) got one of ours, let's take two of theirs" Ferguson-fed propaganda, no?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think we might be focusing too much on the "Muslim" aspect, when he obviously was mainly focused on the "they (cops) got one of ours, let's take two of theirs" Ferguson-fed propaganda, no?
                Agreed. As of yet there is no indication that Brinsley's religion played any part in this shooting.

Comment

In answer to a previous question....

The reason NYPD is upset with Blasio is because he has been so soft on the protestors -- Rudy, for example, allowed protests, but they were never allowed to block traffic, never allowed to take over and control important bridges, and never allowed to espouse violence. There HAVE been, on Blasio's watch, protests where the mob was calling for death to cops.

Now, please note that the condemnation of the Mayor comes from the Police Union, and the PU does not always represent what the rank and file thinks, due to political considerations. HOWEVER, in this case, it appears the PU is expressing the legitimate concern of officers who cannot, in their positions as employees of the city, speak out against their boss.

After a few seconds of chanting "Hands up, don’t shoot," the demonstrators changed their cry, apparently yelling out in unison "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now."

They got what they wanted, and, apparently at least SOME of them are celebrating.

Comment

I want to take time to trample on the shooter's image. This man was the lowest of criminals, and a fool who couldn't interpret modern events without prejudice. Furthermore, he was a coward of the most dangerous kind. Do not be distracted by the deaths of his victims when you examine his motive. Similar to the psychology of most mass shooters, the plan was undoubtedly centered around suicide. But he didn't have the courage to kill himself without doing it in a manner that masked his suicidal intention. What kind of man does it take to shoot your unarmed girlfriend? I'm glad this monster is no longer walking the face of the earth, but saddened that he took two good men with him.

I'm also very interested by the dynamic situation playing out between the NYPD and the Mayor. From experience, I can tell you the police know which politicians truly support them, and which ones don't. Even when the politician receives services that are potentially life-saving, and then later tries to take away the very equipment used to protect his own family (the 'militarization of police' argument)...I've not seen the police/politician relationship devolve this much. De Blasio has dug himself into a hole, and he needs to do some work if he wants to dig himself out of it. I, for one, would not want some slimy politician to use my own funeral to garner political goodwill while he pretended to 'pay his respects', if he had routinely disrespected those of my profession. He's shown his true colors, so it'll be difficult to convince the NYPD that he's changed.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Just heard on TV that there are reports of some bystanders were applauding and cheering after the shooting

ETA: I see that CP mentioned this

Comment

I thought muslims don't drink alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                          I want to take time to trample on the shooter's image. This man was the lowest of criminals, and a fool who couldn't interpret modern events without prejudice. Furthermore, he was a coward of the most dangerous kind. Do not be distracted by the deaths of his victims when you examine his motive. Similar to the psychology of most mass shooters, the plan was undoubtedly centered around suicide. But he didn't have the courage to kill himself without doing it in a manner that masked his suicidal intention. What kind of man does it take to shoot your unarmed girlfriend? I'm glad this monster is no longer walking the face of the earth, but saddened that he took two good men with him.

I'm also very interested by the dynamic situation playing out between the NYPD and the Mayor. From experience, I can tell you the police know which politicians truly support them, and which ones don't. Even when the politician receives services that are potentially life-saving, and then later tries to take away the very equipment used to protect his own family (the 'militarization of police' argument)...I've not seen the police/politician relationship devolve this much. De Blasio has dug himself into a hole, and he needs to do some work if he wants to dig himself out of it. I, for one, would not want some slimy politician to use my own funeral to garner political goodwill while he pretended to 'pay his respects', if he had routinely disrespected those of my profession. He's shown his true colors, so it'll be difficult to convince the NYPD that he's changed.
                          Blasio would be wise to be wise to do a clear and unambiguous "I was wrong - I should have been stronger in my support for the men in blue...."

Personally, I don't think he has that much integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yeah, which is why I think this was not so much about Islam, but a cowardly out of control psycho acting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Didn't several of those involved in the 9/11 attacks frequent bars and nightclubs prior to it?

Comment

Didn't several of those involved in the 9/11 attacks frequent bars and nightclubs prior to it?
                                Eh, probably like when I visited India. A friend I met there was Jain (and they don't eat meat or drink alcohol). But, his wife let him keep a wet bar in the house as long as he only ate meat outside the house.
                                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment