Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go

Does anybody here play go? I've been teaching myself this weekend and I'm finding myself hooked, but not many play it outside of Japan, it seems.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Does anybody here play go? I've been teaching myself this weekend and I'm finding myself hooked, but not many play it outside of Japan, it seems.
    I know the rules, but it's too bland.

Comment

Tried it a decade or two ago but just could never get into it. The lack of other players didn't help either.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I play go fish. Does that count?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I play go fish. Does that count?
          Only if you play with real fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Deof Movestofca View Post
            Only if you play with real fish.
            Is there another way?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I play! I love Go. I actually haven't played in several months, but I'm ranked around 6th Kyu on KGS.
              "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
              --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                I play! I love Go. I actually haven't played in several months, but I'm ranked around 6th Kyu on KGS.
                I'm 17th Kyu

I'm so bad so far and need to learn some basic josekis just to avoid losing every corner in the opening, I think... but I'm fascinated. I've been watching Youtube videos
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I had a good friend growing up who played Go, but I never got into it and never did figure out how to score a game. Playing connect 5 on a Go board is fun though.
                  "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Go stop "Go."
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I'm 17th Kyu

I'm so bad so far and need to learn some basic josekis just to avoid losing every corner in the opening, I think... but I'm fascinated. I've been watching Youtube videos
                      You'll improve pretty quickly. I was entirely self-taught, and I went from 17th Kyu to 9th Kyu in less than a year. Took me another year to get from 9th to 6th Kyu, during which time I almost exclusively played a Mini Chinese opening every time I was Black. It's absolutely incredible how much depth there can be to seemingly simple strategies.

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                      I had a good friend growing up who played Go, but I never got into it and never did figure out how to score a game. Playing connect 5 on a Go board is fun though.
                      I played over 1000 games online before I ever got a chance to play on a real board. I was so used to the computer calculating scores for me, that I had never learned how to properly arrange and score the end of a game. I got a few quizzical looks from old Korean gentlemen who were confused that someone could play that long without knowing how to score the game.
                      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                        Go stop "Go."
                        I think you're thinking of "red light, green light".

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                          You'll improve pretty quickly. I was entirely self-taught, and I went from 17th Kyu to 9th Kyu in less than a year. Took me another year to get from 9th to 6th Kyu, during which time I almost exclusively played a Mini Chinese opening every time I was Black. It's absolutely incredible how much depth there can be to seemingly simple strategies.

I played over 1000 games online before I ever got a chance to play on a real board. I was so used to the computer calculating scores for me, that I had never learned how to properly arrange and score the end of a game. I got a few quizzical looks from old Korean gentlemen who were confused that someone could play that long without knowing how to score the game.
                          Maybe we'll have to play one of these days down the road, once I sort of know what I'm doing.

Meanwhile, I really want to visit a local club; problem is they meet on Sunday evenings, when I work.

Comment

Maybe we'll have to play one of these days down the road, once I sort of know what I'm doing.
                            Definitely! Anytime!

Comment

I visited a local go club for the first time last night. It was actually really encouraging; I held my own in a game against a fellow beginner (I resigned but it turns out I did so way too early), and several people told me I was doing far better than I thought I was. One of the high ranked players gave me a bunch of problems to solve and invited me to come back with a flash drive to get some games to study next time.

I just wish I lived a little bit closer.

Comment