Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Self Esteem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Esteem?

I had an old friend over the house Saturday morning. As he had, for most of his life, launched into his "self esteem" issues. He is fairly agnostic so I had no real wisdom for him. Besides findings ones worth in God and how God views men, and what men are by nature in a Biblical world view, I couldn't think of any basis an internal sense of worth. Thoughts?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

How about seeing ones worth in how one is viewed in the eyes of one's family and friends?
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Somebody like that is often too self-focused. He needs to spend more time helping others. Volunteer at a hospital, read to kids at a library, do something that adds value. Change the focus from self to others.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        How about seeing ones worth in how one is viewed in the eyes of one's family and friends?
        And if are not viewed favorably by friends and family? Which Norm is not - then what?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          And if are not viewed favorably by friends and family? Which Norm is not - then what?
          Find out what it is you do that contributes to others -- and focus on that.

One of my Jobs for Life students - the only white male - had a bad image problem, and incredibly poor self worth. He brought brownies to class, and they were GREAT. He mentioned he enjoys baking, but that's a "girl thing".

I told him about Duff (Charm City Cakes?) who was QUITE a guy, and a world famous baker. Billy is now enrolled in a culinary school in Austin.

duff.jpg

And, who's that other baker who kinda sounds mafia?
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Find out what it is you do that contributes to others -- and focus on that.
            I have been telling him that for years. Get your eyes off yourself. Some people seem to enjoy pity parties.

Comment

I have been telling him that for years. Get your eyes off yourself. Some people seem to enjoy pity parties.
              That's true, in my experience. And you can't MAKE them change. So I guess it's a matter of finding out if he WANTS to change --- maybe he IS "happy" being unhappy.

Comment

Then that needs to be addressed directly. That is a major issue that should not be avoided. Is it merely his false perception that his friends and family do not view him favorably? If it is true that his family and friends do not view him favorably, are they justified in this negative view of him or do they have false perception issues? If the former, he needs to start making amends. If the latter, he needs additional support to find a more healthy way of interacting with this dysfunctional group dynamic.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment