Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Biblical inerrancy vs Biblical errancey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biblical inerrancy vs Biblical errancey.

Biblical inerrancy has to do with God's word.

Biblical errancy has to do with interpretation, translation, and known variants in the manuscript evidence.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

Biblical errancy has to do with interpretation, translation, and known variants in the manuscript evidence.
    If you're wanting a discussion on this, it would be better to define what you mean by these terms, rather than what they "have to do with".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think 37818 is proposing that the Bible is God's Word and therefore inerrant. Any errors are due to faulty interpretation and/or transmission of the text (translation being an exercise in interpretation).
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I think 37818 is proposing that the Bible is God's Word and therefore inerrant. Any errors are due to faulty interpretation and/or transmission of the text (translation being an exercise in interpretation).
        Hmm. That sounds about right. Am I the only one who has a hard time deciphering a lot of 37818's posts? I don't mean that to be mean or anything. Maybe its just me.

Comment

So, yes, these are good rough definitions. And what about them?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Hmm. That sounds about right. Am I the only one who has a hard time deciphering a lot of 37818's posts? I don't mean that to be mean or anything. Maybe its just me.
            I wasn't sure where he was going with it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well they tend to be on the short side. About all I know of him is that he's calvinisticish.

Comment

The reason I asked for definitions is because some inerrantists (KJOnliests?) claim that inerrancy means that God has protected the translation process through whatever version or timeframe -- others, like me, claim that the Bible is inerrant in its original manuscripts, which takes into account what you call "errancy".

So, it really boils down to what version of inerrancy it is to which you're referring.

Comment

I have always gone with the same "inerrant in the original manuscripts" definition/approach. If it is required to believe that each and every word written in the KJV (or any other specific translation) I must admit that I am an errantist (is that even a word?). To be honest I have yet to find any meaningful difference between any two translations - differences in the message that is.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    If you're wanting a discussion on this, it would be better to define what you mean by these terms, rather than what they "have to do with".
                    God's word is inerrant. The Bible is inerrant in its original autographs, being the written word of God.
                    Human interpreters, translations and copies are not what is inerrant. And this human error is the source of all Biblical errancy. The written word of God does not cease being God's word on account of human errors. What is in error is not God's word.

So claims of Biblical errancy without exception, can be shown to be issues of interpretation, translation, and known textual variants.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

God's word is inerrant. The Bible is inerrant in its original autographs, being the written word of God.
                      Human interpreters, translations and copies are not what is inerrant. And this human error is the source of all Biblical errancy. The written word of God does not cease being God's word on account of human errors. What is in error is not God's word, the error that is.

So claims of Biblical errancy without exception, can be shown to be issues of interpretation, translation, and known textual variants.
                      That's pretty much what I said in Post #8

Comment

It does not hurt to ask someone, anyone what they mean by a particular phrase or word.

Comment

It does not hurt to ask someone, anyone what they mean by a particular phrase or word.
                          But that's not what you did. Your OP simply made two statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            But that's not what you did. Your OP simply made two statements.
                            Yes. I made two statements.

Where the two statements true or false? Or do you find the phrase "has to do with" nonsensical?

Comment

I'm going to excuse myself, 37. Have a Merry Christmas.

Comment