Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

WHY do you go to Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
    The mutuality aspect makes this discussion difficult over the internet, because we don't really know each other. We should have an attitude of servanthood, rather than church first and foremost being about what we get out of it. At the same time, if the edification is not actually mutual, then there's clearly a problem. If I sat down to a meal that never was served, or that was rancid, or that was nothing but junk food, my hunger instinct would not allow me to give up on eating. I would eat elsewhere; the hunger would grow and grow until sated. I've visited plenty of churches and thought, "I prefer my own church," but relatively few of which I thought, "If this were the only church in town, I would just stay home."

When someone says, "There are no good churches, so I don't go," in most places in North America that would reflect poorly on the speaker rather than the community. There may well be exceptions. But typically, when someone comes to my church with terrible stories about how bad all the other churches are, more likely than not they'll be telling bad stories about my church too somewhere else, next year.
    We really do need that Amen button.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When someone says, "There are no good churches, so I don't go," in most places in North America that would reflect poorly on the speaker rather than the community. There may well be exceptions. But typically, when someone comes to my church with terrible stories about how bad all the other churches are, more likely than not they'll be telling bad stories about my church too somewhere else, next year.
      This one really really hits home... many Churches today that are experiencing growth are doing so by "stealing sheep" -- drawing Christians from other Churches. When somebody from a neighboring Church comes to visit my Church, the cynic in me (perhaps due to past experiences) always causes me to think in the back of my mind, "ok, so they were unhappy there, am I just 'inheriting' a malcontent?"

On the OTHER hand, it has been the case numerous times that somebody is coming because they want to SERVE, and there was no place where they were formerly attending. Sometimes we get our committees and policies and procedures and polity all "locked down", and there's no room for "outsiders".

I like what Blackaby says --- (paraphrased) if you want to see where God is leading your Church, look at the people He is drawing to your Church, and their spiritual gifts, talents and abilities, because he is equipping your Church to be what He wants your Church to be.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I quite concur. Amen and Amen. (Best I can do right now)

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Please read your post over again, TM.... it really sounds quite bitter. I'm wondering if I have done something to you, or caused you to be angry at me.
          I'm not angry with you. The post hit my hot button not you. My apologizies for overacting and not thinking twice (or thrice) before posting.

Its another reason I don't want to go to church. I don't want to dump all this over some church that hasn't done anything. Certainly most pastors I've known aren't equipped to deal with this. For better or worse, I'm waiting out winter and then will try again.

By the way, if you wish to continue this discussion, could we go PM?
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Did you see this article: http://www.americanbible.org/feature...-minded-cities. In my case, I think geography does make a difference. I see you live near rankings: 1, 2, 10, and 13. I live in ranking 83 and near 85; 95; and 99 (out of 100).

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              I'm not angry with you. The post hit my hot button not you. My apologizies for overacting and not thinking twice (or thrice) before posting.

Its another reason I don't want to go to church. I don't want to dump all this over some church that hasn't done anything. Certainly most pastors I've known aren't equipped to deal with this. For better or worse, I'm waiting out winter and then will try again.

By the way, if you wish to continue this discussion, could we go PM?
              Absolutely, TM.... any time you want!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                Thanks for the thoughtful response. Did you see this article: http://www.americanbible.org/feature...-minded-cities. In my case, I think geography does make a difference. I see you live near rankings: 1, 2, 10, and 13. I live in ranking 83 and near 85; 95; and 99 (out of 100).
                The worst combination is low rate of Christianity combined with low census. I was chatting with a young Christian on the island of Kauai, where the whole population is 67,000 and the largest town is 10,000. That would narrow the field. Pickings are best in a large city with a high percentage of Christians: Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga being the best examples in TN. Intermediate between the best and worst are (1) low population but high percentage of Christians, and (2) high population but low percentage of Christians. I'm in (1) myself, whereas you're in (2). That probably means that there are some good churches out there, but it takes more work to find them in a larger city.

Comment

The current system appears to reward volume of posts rather than quality. I'm not sure that's what we want to promote, but hey, I'm not paying for it, so I won't gripe.

Comment

That got to be really annoying. I hope TWeb doesn't reinstate that function.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      That got to be really annoying. I hope TWeb doesn't reinstate that function.
                      You are in the distinct minority.

Comment

Question: Why do you go to church?

Answer: For the Triscuits and Welch's.
                        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          You are in the distinct minority.
                          I don't know I kind of agree with him. I think it's better off without it. I figure read a post on its own terms and respond if you think it worthy, and leave it at that. Just my opinion though...

On church, I go because I believe in the New Testament and that's what I see from beginning to end - a congregation of believers. It's nothing but churches and Christian community. It's easy to hold a grudge or get upset over first world problems, but that all comes with the territory. Many of them would go away if the church was persecuted. Those who don't really belong would leave and that would be the end of it. I'm not asking for persecution though, I'd rather have these problems and not have to fear arrest or death. In conclusion, being a part of a church is what Jesus wants, and he set the example of maintaining community despite friction and conflict.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X