Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    I don't doubt it. The price tag alone is quite daunting (just under $85 here in Saskatchewan).
    Yeah, it's about that here. Also bottled at like 54% ABV.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Ok, just picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. It's very smooooth, not as smoky as I expected, but it's definitely there. I like it! My wife took a taste and spit it out... said it tasted like turpentine...I told her I had never tried turpentine so I couldn't say...
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• I picked up some Bushmill's Single Malt 10-Year the other day. Good stuff. I have to say that the lingering after-taste is the best part (it's like a mix of milk chocolate and honey, with the latter taste being dominant).
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• I had some 17-year-old Balvenie Double Wood last night. Don't get me wrong, it was fine Scotch, but not my style. I like it smokey. But it was from our friends visiting from Austria. Otherwise, I would not have gone off my diet.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Picked up a bottle of Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve. It's pretty good. Slightly mellower and a bit more complex than their basic offering. It definitely has a bourbon-like feel to it (which makes sense, considering the blend gets aged in a 'pre-seasoned' oak barrel for a bit).

Comment

• So, I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon yesterday. It's pretty dang awesome. It's one of those where you know soon as you sip it that's got a higher rye content, but I think Blanton's accomplishes that dry spice effect better than, Basil Hayden's. I kept putting off buying it because of the price ($60 for 750ml bottle). But, honestly, it's delicious.

For the interested, it's made at the same distillery (Buffalo Trace) as Pappy Van Winkle's. I saw one reviewer saying he liked Blanton's almost as much as Van Winke's. Course, I can't compare them myself since I haven't had the pleasure of trying Pappy Van Winkle (yet).
              Last edited by myth; 03-22-2015, 07:15 PM.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Has anyone tried Macallan Scotch? An old friend of mine recently recommended it as the only scotch to get...I haven't seen it in the store I usually frequent, but may make a trip to another if it's worth it.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Has anyone tried Macallan Scotch? An old friend of mine recently recommended it as the only scotch to get...I haven't seen it in the store I usually frequent, but may make a trip to another if it's worth it.
                  There are several different kinds of Macallan, all good. It is very smooth. Not at all my type, 'though. I like Scotch that tastes like dirt and smoke.

Here's a Macallan that sells for $5k: http://liquorama.net/macallan-m-deca...mjGxoCOVTw_wcB

Don't worry, most kinds are expensive, but nothing like $5k. I like thinking about this one. Makes expensive Scotches seem cheap by comparison. I do know a guy who has a $4k bottle of Scotch. He bought it for $50 and only found out years later how valuable it had become.
                  Last edited by robrecht; 03-22-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• So I picked up a bottle of Maker's 46 with part of my tax return. I've sipped some shots, and all I have to say is, "Yum." Long version? It's got that nice, sweet, corn and oak taste that I like... but it just 'feels' much richer on the tongue as I sip it.

Comment

• Why are people discussing whiskey in a whisky thread? Not that there's anything wrong with it. ... I don't have anything against Bourbon, but it is whiskey, not whisky.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        There are several different kinds of Macallan, all good. It is very smooth. Not at all my type, 'though. I like Scotch that tastes like dirt and smoke.

Here's a Macallan that sells for $5k: http://liquorama.net/macallan-m-deca...mjGxoCOVTw_wcB

Don't worry, most kinds are expensive, but nothing like $5k. I like thinking about this one. Makes expensive Scotches seem cheap by comparison. I do know a guy who has a $4k bottle of Scotch. He bought it for $50 and only found out years later how valuable it had become.
                        Ok, I'm going to try to find the Laphroaig quarter cask. I too like the smoky peaty flavor...but I think I like it more smoky than dirty...

Comment

Why are people discussing whiskey in a whisky thread? Not that there's anything wrong with it. ... I don't have anything against Bourbon, but it is whiskey, not whisky.
                          Mostly because bourbon's better. And, technically, Maker's Mark is spelled "whisky". Though it's the only Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisk(e)y to spell it that way, so far as I know.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            Ok, I'm going to try to find the Laphroaig quarter cask. I too like the smoky peaty flavor...but I think I like it more smoky than dirty...
                            You won't regret it. It's got a smokey oak taste at the forefront (not overpowering), with a nice sweetness to go along. It's a lot smoother than I thought it would be. Initially, I was expecting one of the Ladies From Hell to hop out of the shotglass and kick me in the teeth as I was taking my first sip.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                              Mostly because bourbon's better. And, technically, Maker's Mark is spelled "whisky". Though it's the only Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisk(e)y to spell it that way, so far as I know.
                              Oh yeah, I vaguely recall something about that now. OK, you get a pass, but not the people talking about Bourbon.

Comment

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall something about that now. OK, you get a pass, but not the people talking about Bourbon.
                                I knew there was a distinction between whiskey and whisky, but I also thought that whisky could be used as an umbrella term for all of it. Am I wrong?

And although I like Bourbon, I definitely prefer Scotch.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X