Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I knew there was a distinction between whiskey and whisky, but I also thought that whisky could be used as an umbrella term for all of it. Am I wrong?
    No, it's just a matter of convention. Some people are more persnickety than others.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    And although I like Bourbon, I definitely prefer Scotch.
    Good man. My Dad was from Kentucky and he drank Bourbon, as does my older brother still. I rarely drink Bourbon, except for when I'm with my brother. It just seems fun to drink Bourbon when I'm with him. Sort of brings back memories and a sense of family. And I like buying him a bottle of the good stuff.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      You won't regret it. It's got a smokey oak taste at the forefront (not overpowering), with a nice sweetness to go along. It's a lot smoother than I thought it would be. Initially, I was expecting one of the Ladies From Hell to hop out of the shotglass and kick me in the teeth as I was taking my first sip.
      Ok, just picked it up...had to walk around the store for about 10 minutes to talk myself into spending that much..$63 US for 750ml bottle... That's ALOT for a working stiff like me.

First sip, NIIIIIICE!!!! LOVE the smokiness. At that price, it's going to be my special occasion bottle. It'll have to last a while but I likey very much! Thanks for he recommendation Robrecht and CV!
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Ok, just picked it up...had to walk around the store for about 10 minutes to talk myself into spending that much..$63 US for 750ml bottle... That's ALOT for a working stiff like me.

First sip, NIIIIIICE!!!! LOVE the smokiness. At that price, it's going to be my special occasion bottle. It'll have to last a while but I likey very much! Thanks for he recommendation Robrecht and CV!
        Glad I could be of service.

It's $70 up here in Saskatchewan, so it's definitely one of my 'Special Occasion' bottles as well (and it's lasting me a good long time... partially because it's not my only bottle of whisk[e]y on-hand, but also because I find it so luxurious that I want it to last a while).
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• I'm going to discuss bourbon anyway since no rule was made in the OP against it.

I picked up Four Roses Small Batch the other day. Really good stuff. I think it's exactly what bourbon should be. I also tried Woodford Reserve at a bar. I really liked the chocolate notes I picked up in it.
          "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
          -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
            I'm going to discuss bourbon anyway since no rule was made in the OP against it.

I picked up Four Roses Small Batch the other day. Really good stuff. I think it's exactly what bourbon should be. I also tried Woodford Reserve at a bar. I really liked the chocolate notes I picked up in it.
            Woodford is pretty good. A lot of people don't like it because they pick up a 'bite' at the end, but I think that's all part of the enjoyment. I just wish my provincial liquor store had a better selection of bourbon... I mean, I could special order some, but I'd have to get it by the case, and that's just EXPENSIVE.

That being said, I picked up some Johnnie Walker Black Label today. It's delicious, for a blended scotch... Smoky and Fruity, without being harsh.

Comment

Woodford is pretty good. A lot of people don't like it because they pick up a 'bite' at the end, but I think that's all part of the enjoyment. I just wish my provincial liquor store had a better selection of bourbon... I mean, I could special order some, but I'd have to get it by the case, and that's just EXPENSIVE.
              By the case?
              That being said, I picked up some Johnnie Walker Black Label today. It's delicious, for a blended scotch... Smoky and Fruity, without being harsh.
              I think I like the Black Label better than the Green Label and Gold Label. They should just not make Red Label - it isn't aged long enough to smooth it out.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                By the case?

I think I like the Black Label better than the Green Label and Gold Label. They should just not make Red Label - it isn't aged long enough to smooth it out.
                My favorite Scotch, Bruicladdich Octomore, is only aged 5 years. Smooth whisky is for sissies.

Comment

• While visiting a good friend (who introduced me to Scotch in the first place), he had me try an Old Fashioned for the first time. I was sold instantly. Really good cocktail.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    My favorite Scotch, Bruicladdich Octomore, is only aged 5 years. Smooth whisky is for sissies.
                    When it comes to the burn, I go with the same rule I do with hot sauce: if there's no flavor to go along with it, then it ain't worth my time.

Comment

• I found a humorous article about whiskey snobs:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2015/...outsiders.html
                      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I found a humorous article about whiskey snobs:

LOL, that's funny. ... Good thing I'm not a whiskey snob.

Comment

I found a humorous article about whiskey snobs:

I wouldn't call myself a snob... but I'll concede that I get annoyed with people who go on about how some el-cheapo whisk(e)y is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong... there are some inexpensive gems out there, but they aren't usually what people are talking about.

Comment

I wouldn't call myself a snob... but I'll concede that I get annoyed with people who go on about how some el-cheapo whisk(e)y is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong... there are some inexpensive gems out there, but they aren't usually what people are talking about.
                            Whatchya got against Black Booster just cause it comes in a plastic jug?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Islay Scotches tend to be more peaty/smokey, but certainly not all of them. I like the smokiness, which some of us distinguish from peatiness, but the two tend to go together, 'though some whiskies can be peaty without being smokey. Of the three you mention, I highly recommend the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I've had the other two [including the Laphroaig 10-year-old], and they're decent, but I don't drink very much so I only drink what I really like. (In fact, I recently started a fitness regime and diet and do not plan on drinking anything until I reach my target goal.)
                              I have to revise these remarks slightly. As I said before, the normal Laphroaig 10-year-old is not bad but certainly not as good or smokey as is often claimed, but I learned tonight that there is also a Laphroaig 10-year-old full cask strength version and it is remarkable. Not as good as cask-strength Bruichladdich Octomore, but at about half the price, it is definitely something worthy of consideration. I am enjoying it and will miss it when its gone.

Comment

I have to revise these remarks slightly. As I said before, the normal Laphroaig 10-year-old is not bad but certainly not as good or smokey as is often claimed, but I learned tonight that there is also a Laphroaig 10-year-old full cask strength version and it is remarkable. Not as good as cask-strength Bruichladdich Octomore, but at about half the price, it is definitely something worthy of consideration. I am enjoying it and will miss it when its gone.
                                Ooh, that sounds good. I'll be looking for that next time I buy whisky.

...whenever that is. I'm reasonably well-stocked right now.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X