Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

10 Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Books

Dear AP,

Here are ten books I would enjoy seeing you read and review in the coming year:

1. Raw Revelation The Bible they Never Tell You About (all profits go to Christian charities)

2. Is God a Moral Compromiser? A Response to Paul Copan Second Edition (completely and legally free)

3. Why I Believed? Reflections of a Former Missionary (Completely and Legally Free but all profits go to charity if you buy)

4. Who Was Jesus? Fingerprints of the Christ (pdf online but not legally free)

5. Randi's Prize What Skeptics Say about the Paranormal, Why they're Wrong and Why It Matters

6. 50 Simple Questions for Every Christian

7. We The Living / or Anthem (Anthem is free on the noblesoul website and elsewhere)

8. Oahspe: A New Bible in the Words of Jehovih and his Angel Ambassadors (probably not the whole book)

9. The Afterlife of Billy Fingers / or Life after Life

10. You the Healer

And for "Extra Fun" as Pavel Tsatouline might say:

11. (sort of) The Rejection of Pascal's Wager (completely free)

12. Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

13. Cutting Jesus Down to Size What Higher Criticism has Achieved and where it leaves Christianity

14. A Farewell to God

I would actually enjoy reviewing these books with you if you wanted. I haven't read any of them all the way through.

Since several are anti-modern-Christian books and some that are just anti-christian, I thought you might make ten suggestions in apologetics I could read (and review with you or by myself)

Here are two I have considered:

1. Cold Case Christianity

2. A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith

3. I Don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist

4. The Jesus Inquest

5. The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographic Approach

6. The Resurrection of the Son of God

7. The Case for Faith

8. Is God a Moral Monster / or God Behaving Badly

9. The Henry Morris Study Bible

10. fatimamovement.org

And for "Extra Fun" as Pavel Tsatouline might say:

9. The Entire Miller/Till/Holding Amalykite-Canannite-(It isn't really)Genocide-Why-I-Lost-My-Mind Debate-a-Paloza, Two hundred plus pages of loving friendships and respectful disagreements scattered across three websites :D

9. Every Chick Tract, ever (to finish me off) Ha ha ha ha hahahahhahahahhahahahaha (laughs maniacally)

1. Cold Case Christianity (again, because you know)

Other Suggestions:

1. Numbers in Scripture

2. Quran: A Reformist Translation / or An Exposition of the Holy Quran

3. Think and Grow Rich

4. The Principles of New Thought Tracing Spiritual Truth from Source to Soul

5. The Gospel of the Beloved Companion, The Complete Gospel of Mary Magdeline

6. God's Not Dead

Comment

Sometimes it's best to read the Bible more thoroughly, instead of books about the Bible. Especially if, as you stated, "I haven't read any of them all the way through."

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        Sometimes it's best to read the Bible more thoroughly, instead of books about the Bible. Especially if, as you stated, "I haven't read any of them all the way through."
        Yes, I would agree, but that is kind of twisting what I said. AP generally doesn't "review" the bible, at least not in the same way he does other books.

"I haven't read any of them all the way through,"

I wasn't talking about the Bible, which I am currently trying to read all the way through (again). I do think that at least some of the books I posted are worthy of review, and it would be interesting to have two perspectives reviewing them.

Thank you Scrawly for your comments,

-Heero

Comment

I'll have to look at this more later, but some of this reading might depend on what I have to do for my Master's program. I do already have the book by Acharya as I purchased it recently for Kindle. Books for school and that others send me to review and that my wife gave me for Christmas come first.

I'll look at the ten books to be recommended for you, though JPH might have some in mind as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            I'll have to look at this more later, but some of this reading might depend on what I have to do for my Master's program. I do already have the book by Acharya as I purchased it recently for Kindle. Books for school and that others send me to review and that my wife gave me for Christmas come first.

I'll look at the ten books to be recommended for you, though JPH might have some in mind as well.
            Yea, I know. I just thought it would be cool to look at them at the same time.

If you decide to read the Acharya one, let me know. I haven't read it yet.

-Heero

Comment

The first three are really the most important ones, though the others would be good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Heero Yuy View Post
                Yea, I know. I just thought it would be cool to look at them at the same time.

If you decide to read the Acharya one, let me know. I haven't read it yet.

-Heero
                It all depends on time and money and schooling.

I am visiting my in-laws for Christmas and Mike had a copy of The Christ Conspiracy on his bookshelf. He's letting me borrow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  It all depends on time and money and schooling.

I am visiting my in-laws for Christmas and Mike had a copy of The Christ Conspiracy on his bookshelf. He's letting me borrow it.
                  She's coming out with a new edition late 2015. Which is completely different than, "Who Was Jesus," CC is her first work, and it had the most problems, according to Price.

Also, two of the three books are free.

Mike... Lincona, sorry I didn't get that for a minute. I know he did well against Acharya in their debates, but it was tough because I wasn't always sure of why the scholars he talked to rejected this or that point. It's been awhile though since I read their exchange. I don't remember if he reproduced the emails he sent to the scholars he talked to.

I would enjoy talking to him. I suspect he is even more busy than you though.

-Heero
                  Last edited by Heero Yuy; 12-27-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment