Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thoughts on the Connection between Gnosis and the book of Mormon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Connection between Gnosis and the book of Mormon

What are your thoughts on the following article?

www.gnosis.org/ahp.htm

I know that some Mormons actually encourage the study of the Nag Hammadi library, but they don't agree with the more extreme Gnostic interpretations of Genesis.
    It seems interesting to think that Smith might have been working with Gnostic concepts of the divine. In reading the book of Mormon, I have found so far that it is compatible with New Thought Principles, which are sometimes Gnostic.

-Heero

When I think of Gnostic aspects in a mormon belief system, I tend to think of theology revealed later than the publication of the Book of Mormon. For example, the Doctrine and Covenant sections on there being no immaterial matter, the pentacostal dedication of the Kirtland Temple, or, as the article mentions at the end, the King Follett Discourse.

otoh, the Book of Mormon connects of Isaiah's 'line up line, precept on precept' to continuing revelation. And would you say the concept of "opposition in all things" is a gnostic idea?

--Johnna

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X