Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Acid Test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
    Salvation is not something that comes and goes each time you sin and are forgiven, but rather it depends on whether you name is in the Lamb's Book of Life.
    Well, not all those who hold the Arminianism view would agree. I for one, believe by virtue of Christ dying for all, everyone's name starts out in the book of life. (Not that everyone is going to be saved.) My understand, one has to overcome the world, through faith in God's Christ, to seal one's name in His book. My understanding, my view.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Yes, one can understand it that way. I do not see it that way, as being contradictory. I'm looking at it from the view of possessing eternal life so to go into heaven (2 Corinthians 5:8) after leaving the body, as opposed to going to the nether world, the realm of the dead, sheol, even in its upper compartment (Psalm 86:13; Luke 16:19-31 as being an actual event, Deuteronomy 32:22, the upper compartment then where paradise was Luke 23:43 where Jesus also went in those three days).
      Ah I thought you had denied that the OT Saints eventually went to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        That would be very problematic, given Hebrews 11.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          I would say no, but I take the author's point that holy living and living out holiness is vital for Christians, we are set apart and should look it.
          I do believe without holiness no one will see God (Hebrews 12:14). So we need salvation which only Christ can give us (2 Corinthians 5:17,,21). And then how can we persuade those yet outside the faith?
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhart
            This suffices to obtain the graces that would ordinarily only have been available to them in the yearly Passover sacrifice, or the Sacrament of Penance available now.
            The Passover did not generate spiritual salvation for people.

Hebrews 10:4
            For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Comment

I believe after Jesus. ascended to heaven, after those 40 days after the resurrection, all the OT believers, where at that time taken to heaven to be with Christ (Ephesians 4:8-10). And 10 days latter poured out the Holy Spirit upon His church He is building (Acts 2:, Matthew 16:18).

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                The Passover did not generate spiritual salvation for people.

Hebrews 10:4
                For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
                I agree, that their sacrifices did not in any way redeem the sins of Israel. They were forgiven by the grace obtained by Christ on the Cross, but the way they got access to this grace, was during the renewing of the Covenant at the Passover Feast, which had its peak in a sacrifice and the high priest entering the Holiest of Holies to pray on the people of Israel. That's as much as how I understand how the Hebrew got redeemed.
                Last edited by Leonhard; 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Paul specifically teaches that David was saved apart from the law, so this theory cannot work.

Romans 4
                  6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. 9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

The only way it could work would be if you said that David got saved by keeping the Passover, regardless of whether he was circumcised. That itself would be dubious. But it is especially dubious because only circumcised people were allowed to keep the Passover.

Exodus 12:48
                  And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.

So David was not saved by circumcision or the Passover (God's laws). And people today are not saved by penance or confession (Rome's laws).

Comment

Not that I agree. Pentance (repentance) and confession in the RCC are for the Catholic Christian. Not the non-Christian. Not in order to become a Christian.

In my view repentance precedes the faith (Mark 1;15).
                    Last edited by 37818; 01-03-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                      The only way it could work would be if you said that David got saved by keeping the Passover
                      This would be a false presumption, I didn't say that David got saved by keeping the Passover, but by having perfect contrition.

Also I as a Catholic do not believe that the initial act of Justification is achieved by the works of men, but is always a gift of grace by God. It leads ultimately to repentance and baptism, or repentance and the desire for baptism (in as much as the person knows that they must have it). Its not alone though, as its also clear that baptized, believing Christians don't necessarily get to Heaven, but must display acts of work, otherwise their faith is dead in them.

And people today are not saved by penance or confession (Rome's laws).
                      Just a small correction, confession is just one means to the Sacrament of Penance, which can be bestowed by a priest in other circumstances. Its just that private confession is the ordinary means of obtaining the sacrament.

Comment

Just a small correction, confession is just one means to the Sacrament of Penance, which can be bestowed by a priest in other circumstances. Its just that private confession is the ordinary means of obtaining the sacrament.
                        I don't think we need "priests" like the Catholic church uses. There is one God, and one mediator between God and man, and that's Christ Jesus.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I don't think we need "priests" like the Catholic church uses. There is one God, and one mediator between God and man, and that's Christ Jesus.
                          And yet 1 Timothy 2:1-3 Paul asks Christians to intercede in prayer on behalf of the civil authorities, saying that this is very pleasing in the eyes of God. The Catholic Church in no way disputes that its Christ's work alone that reconciles the world to the Father. The question isn't about that, the question is a matter of the authority that Christ has bestowed on the Church to carry out His mission, how we participate in God's graces and the sacraments that have been instated.

The Apostles were clearly given the power to forgive sins. When they pronounced someone forgiven, that would be loosed in Heaven. And whatever they bound believers to, would be similarly bound in Heaven; The authority to forgive, and the authority to teach.

You'll be hardpressed to find a Church Father who did not believe that this authority was passed down to the bishops.

The rituals surrounding these sacraments eventually became what you see today, containing neither more nor less than what is needed. You approach the priest (who by the bishop, in succession with Apostles has granted to the priest the authority to forgive sins). You're blessed, you tell what mortal sins you have committed, showing the appropriate contrition, he judges whether your contrition is sufficient, gives you a penance for your sins and absolves you. In the act of absolving you, its Christ who forgives you. The priest acts merely as an instrument in the role of the sacrament, making visible something that would otherwise be invisible and internal.

Christ chose it to be this way.
                          Last edited by Leonhard; 01-03-2015, 07:18 PM. Reason: capitalized 'his'

Comment

The wording of poll is a bit odd, because if you mean whether he lost his salvation the answer is no... ultimately he was saved. If you mean "If David died immediately after the crimes he committed would he be damned?" I think the answer is undeniably, yes.
                            Last edited by Leonhard; 01-03-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

This would be a false presumption, I didn't say that David got saved by keeping the Passover, but by having perfect contrition.

Also I as a Catholic do not believe that the initial act of Justification is achieved by the works of men, but is always a gift of grace by God. It leads ultimately to repentance and baptism, or repentance and the desire for baptism (in as much as the person knows that they must have it). Its not alone though, as its also clear that baptized, believing Christians don't necessarily get to Heaven, but must display acts of work, otherwise their faith is dead in them.

". . . Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. . . ." -- Romans 4:6, 7.

The Protestant - Catholic understanding on this is different.

Comment

The wording of poll is a bit odd, because if you mean whether he lost his salvation the answer is no... ultimately he was saved. If you mean "If David died immediately after the crimes he committed would he be damned?" I think the answer is undeniably, yes.
                                The full question is in the first post. The poll app would not allow the full question length.

Comment