Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Matthew 12:40 an idiom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abigail,
    re: "Personally, I like the interpretation that the crucifixion took place on a Thursday daytime, that 'heart of the earth' does refer to the tomb and the days and nights are counted Day 1, Night 1, Day 2, Night 2, Day 3, Night 3 ie that Jesus rose sometime between sunset Saturday and sunrise Sunday."

Agree; so why are you giving me grief for directing my question to those who think the heart of the earth is referring to the tomb?

Comment

I came across this:
      Source: The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection

Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, tenth in the descent from Ezra was very specific: "A day and a night are an Onah ['a portion of time'] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it" [J.Talmud, Shabbath 9.3 and b.Talmud, Pesachim 4a]

© Copyright Original Source

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just Passing Through,

This topic is essentially directed to those folks who say that it was common at the time to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have taken place. A 6th day crucifixion/first day resurrection would be one example. I'm simply looking for other examples to support it's commonality.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
              Just Passing Through,

This topic is essentially directed to those folks who say that it was common at the time to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have taken place. A 6th day crucifixion/first day resurrection would be one example. I'm simply looking for other examples to support it's commonality.

Plague of Darkness -
              Bo 5772-2012

Comment

Marta,

Do you believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week?

Comment

Marta,

Do you believe the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week?

Sometimes I think it does - ???

All four Gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on a Friday afternoon, that the women rested on a Saturday, and that the empty tomb was discovered early on a Sunday morning. However, the Gospels differ as to whether the Feast of Passover was on Friday or on Saturday in the year Jesus was killed; thus they provide conflicting evidence as to exactly which calendar year it could have been. According to astronomical calculations, the 15th of Nisan in the Jewish lunar calendar fell on a Thursday evening / Friday in AD 27, while it fell on a Friday evening / Saturday in AD 30 and AD 33. The Death of Jesus in Mark vs. John
                  by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.
                  The end of the week accordingly was on Saturday and the first day of the week was considered to be on Sunday. However, and looking at the day in a different way - the cock crows (or rooster crows) - Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me." So, "Cock's crow" is a technical term in Jewish law: kri'at hagever (קריאת הגבר). It is a time of day prior to dawn that marks the end of night. It was used of a type of town crier who would make three announcements on the 14th of Nisan in the morning. (Passover Eve) Another thought was this, the priest who was in charge of locking the Temple doors at night and then unlocking the doors each morning just before dawn.

Interestingly, he would place the key each night in an opening in the stone floor in one of the many side rooms of the Temple, then place a flat stone over the opening and put his sleeping mat over the stone so that he was actually sleeping on top of the key to the Temple. TWhat is the 'cock's crow'?:
                  This is a good question because the Mishnah (m.Bava Kamma 7:7) states that:

אין מגדלין תרנגולים בירושלים.

We may not raise chickens in Jerusalem.

The reason for this is not the dung directly (dung is not actually ritually unclean). But there is a concern that the chickens may contaminate the sacrifices with the unclean creatures they might drag out of the dungheaps. (Remember, some sacrifices were eaten anywhere in Jerusalem, not just the Temple courts.)

In the Gemara (b.Yoma 20b) there is a disagreement as to whether the term kri'at hagever literally means "call of the man" or "call of the rooster":

מאי קריאת הגבר? רב אמר קרא גברא, רבי שילא אמר: קרא תרנגולא.

What is kri'at hagever? Rav said, "Call of the man." Rabbi Shila said, "Call of the rooster."

The Gemara continues by explaining that they are both right. In the Temple precinct, there was a Temple crier who called out to begin the service. Everywhere else, the time would be determined by an actual rooster crowing.

The Priests' Trumpet Blasts

http://whitefeatherministries.com/th...er-or-rooster/

Comment

Marta,
                    re: " Sometimes I think it does - ???"

What is "it" and what do you sometimes think that it does?

BTW, you have a question directed to you in post #82?

Comment

Marta,
                      re: " Sometimes I think it does - ???"

What is "it" and what do you sometimes think that it does?

BTW, you have a question directed to you in post #82?
                      Darkness was over the land for the last three hours Jesus was on the cross (Matt. 27:45) His body was then removed before sunset, just before Passover began in accordance with Jewish law. ( You have a message - read my notes on the Plague of Darkness ) Then also consider a halachic hour is thus known as a sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, and varies by the season and even by the day. Hours

Comment

Marta,
                        re: "Answered. Sometimes I think it does fall on the 6th..."

It seems odd, but that means that you're saying that sometimes you think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and at other times you think that it took place on some other day of the week. So on the times that you think it took place on the 6th day of the week how do you account for the missing night time of Matthew 12:40?

re: "What do you consider it to be?"

I think scripture most likely indicates that the crucifixion occurred on the 5th day of the week.

Comment

Marta,
                          re: "Answered. Sometimes I think it does fall on the 6th..."

It seems odd, but that means that you're saying that sometimes you think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and at other times you think that it took place on some other day of the week. So on the times that you think it took place on the 6th day of the week how do you account for the missing night time of Matthew 12:40?

re: "What do you consider it to be?"

I think scripture most likely indicates that the crucifixion occurred on the 5th day of the week.
                          all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

1.Friday, April 10, 2009
                          Did a "cock" really "crow"?

2.TEMPLE, ADMINISTRATION AND SERVICE OF:

3. Cock/ Rooster Crowing
                          Last edited by Marta; 03-19-2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Marta,

You have a question directed to you in post #86.

Comment

Marta,

Comment

Marta,

The answer is above. Hallel on Pesach Night

Jesus death was reported at 3:00 pm - that may not be accurate. (correction)
                                Last edited by Marta; 03-20-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment