Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Matthew 12:40 an idiom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only claims that I have seen are based on the fact that an idiomatic usage of "three days" covers a term >24 hours (provided that the count has a full day in it) to <=72 hours. The bare assertion is then made that in idiomatic usage, "3 days and 3 nights" = "3 days"

Then you have the claim that the disciples, when they were speaking to Jesus, say "it is now three days since these things happened" and they count Friday, Saturday, Sunday: see, three days.

I'm still trying to track down which language says "1 day since something happened" meaning "it happened this same day"
    Last edited by tabibito; 08-23-2014, 06:11 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

. . . Nevertheless the Torah regularly counts partial days and years as full. . . .
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week may know of some writing.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
          Someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week may know of some writing.
          That is the common view held by the vast majority of Christians. One good argument, is the fact that 6th day of the week in Greek is to this day called, παρασκευή, for Friday. (John 19:14)

'. . . The time was about six o'clock in the morning on the Friday of the Passover festival. Pilate said to the Jews, "Look, here's your king!". . . ' GOD'S WORD® Translation.

[I personally hold the crucifixion was on the 15th of Nisan our Thursday in 30 AD. ". . . In the first [month], in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten. . . . And seven days of the feast he shall prepare a burnt offering to the LORD, seven bullocks and seven rams without blemish daily the seven days; and a kid of the goats daily [for] a sin offering. . . . " -- Ezekiel 45:21, 23.]
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

re: "...I personally hold the crucifixion was on the 15th of Nisan our Thursday..."

Since you are not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate, you probably don't know of any writing as asked for in the OP.

Comment

Someone new looking in may know of some writing.

Comment

I've never seen what you're asking for. However cited from the Jerusalem Talmud is that Eleazr ben Azariah wrote in 100 A.D., "A day and night are an Onah (period of time) and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it."

So does it mean that any portion also counts as a day and night? Or do you still need part of a day and part of a night? I don't know. If any portion it would obviously cover the 3 days Friday-Sunday.

Without more information it could be used to justify an idiom not requiring some part of all 3 days and all 3 nights.

Comment

One Bad Pig,

You have a question directed to you in post #5.

Comment

JohnnyP,

re: "Without more information it could be used to justify an idiom..."

Perhaps, but would it be a common idiom? If it were I'd think there would be some examples where it absolutely had to be the case.

Comment

One Bad Pig,

You have a question directed to you in post #5.
                      Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread since I"m not really interested in discussing the topic. In post #5, I was referring to you, not Geert. More specifically, I was referring to your "sixth day crucifixion" label.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

One Bad Pig,

re: "In post #5, I was referring to you, not Geert."

Since you didn't address your post to anyone I assumed it was meant for Geert because it came right after his post.

re: "More specifically, I was referring to your 'sixth day crucifixion' label.

OK, why do you think referring to the 6th day of the week as the sixth day of the week is "giving it a special name"? And how is referring to the 6th day of week as the sixth day of the week casting aspersions on the mainstream position?

re: "Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread since I"m not really interested in discussing the topic."

That's fine because for the purpose of this topic I'm not really interested is discussing anything. I simply am concerned with what is requested in the OP.

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Since it has again been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in - who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb and who thinks that Matthew 12:40 is using common Jewish idiomatic language - will know of some writing which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights being used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights.

Comment

rstrats, I believe you have a PM that needs attention.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

One Bad Pig,
                                re: "More specifically, I was referring to your 'sixth day crucifixion' label.

OK, why do you think referring to the 6th day of the week as the sixth day of the week is "giving it a special name"? And how is referring to the 6th day of week as the sixth day of the week casting aspersions on the mainstream position?
                                I don't think that. I think that trotting out the phrase "sixth day crucifixion folks" is an unduly awkward way to refer to the position of 99.9% (or thereabouts) of Christians. It's like referring to those who worship on Sunday as "first-day assemblers."

I'm not saying that your position is wrong because it's in the extreme minority, but indications are fairly good that it's rather less important than you think it is.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment