Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering

(Please don't turn this into a joke thread - this is a very serious subject for me)

I was a profound stutterer as a kid.

I seem to have "grown out of it" in high school, to the amazement of my speech therapist. Most people who know me today have a hard time believing I ever stuttered.

There are still some things I can't say -- like Grand Ole Opry. But I learned to get around it by NOT trying to say "Grand Ole Opry", and saying "Grando Loppry" instead. It sounds just the same, but is a "work around". There are other things I say "instead" of what I know I can't say.

I still can't say (slowing down typing for this) "salt and pepper shaker". (It usually comes out "salt and shekker paper", and if I try harder, it gets embarrassingly worse.) I haven't come up with a work around for that, so I never ask for them at the same time. "please pass the salt".... "and the pepper".

I never stutter when I preach or sing. Ever. (OK, if I'm REALLY tired, or I get flustered, I'll slip up occasionally)

But we had a lady in our church (the wife of my Deacon Chairman) who was a stutterer, and any time I got around her, I stuttered like a fool. I used to avoid her like crazy, til one day I had to explain why I never talk to her. It was a bit embarrassing, but she understood.

Anybody else stutter, or have trouble speaking?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Growing up I had a speech impediment including so my "r"s came out bad and my first name is Robert. It got to the point where I worked so hard to sound "proper" folk would ask me if I was from England. (Mind you I was born and raised in California). I eventually taught myself to speak like my peers including a regionalism where our "or" sounds come out as "er" sounds if we aren't trying to talk right. So the words "for sure" rhyme but as "fur shur." I stutter and slip more than most people and I usually have to give up after a few tries, but most people seem to think nothing of it.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Stuttering is a neurological defect. Its a misfiring of the auditory/speech function. When you hear yourself speaking, you hear something incorrect so the brain overcompensates by stuttering. While many times as you grow the nerve grows and "out grows" the stuttering, some of it remains, and if you are around people who stutter a bit, it tends to make a comeback. I don't stutter, but I learned a little regarding the science of it. At least some of it.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have a hard time saying "I edited it" (I do video and audio editing)

Too many "it"s in a row. It's like I get tongue tied or sometimes I just keep going "Edited it it"

Didn't used the have that problem.

But my diabetes has caused some liver problems (don't want to do into details) and because of that I get some speech slurring/stuttering occasionally and sometimes my fingers tremble. I am on some medication that helps but it still happens once in a while.

Comment

I have a lisp. My daughter also has it. When I was in 4th grade, I had to go to speech therapy and read "The Silly Sea Serpent Slithered in the Sea". I eventually learned to minimize it, but it is still noticeable if you are really listening. I still lisp pretty bad when I am tired.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have a hard time saying "I edited it" (I do video and audio editing)

Too many "it"s in a row. It's like I get tongue tied or sometimes I just keep going "Edited it it"
            I don't even TRY to say "edited it".... "It needed editing, so I took care of it". There are SOME words I won't even try to say.

Didn't used the have that problem.

But my diabetes has caused some liver problems (don't want to do into details) and because of that I get some speech slurring/stuttering occasionally and sometimes my fingers tremble. I am on some medication that helps but it still happens once in a while.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I have a lisp. My daughter also has it. When I was in 4th grade, I had to go to speech therapy and read "The Silly Sea Serpent Slithered in the Sea". I eventually learned to minimize it, but it is still noticeable if you are really listening. I still lisp pretty bad when I am tired.
              The "tired" seems to be a universal aggravating factor.

Comment

I have issues with saying out loud words like processing, accessing, etc. It seems words like that never sound right to me and I end up saying them two or three times listening to them because they sound wrong. Also, I have a huge problem with right and left commands. If you tell me turn right I turn left and vice versa. It's better now as I have learned to compensate by actually holding up the correct hand when someone says a right or left direction. Weirdly, my dad has the same issue. I used to think it was because I broke my right arm in the 4th grade...twice in a row, and had to learn to do many things with my left hand. (I still deal cards left handed)
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I remembered my biggest issue, the "ou" or "oo" like would, could, and wood. I can't say any of those.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X