Thread: [Some other forum] and SJ Gould

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

[Some other forum] and SJ Gould

Yay! It's so good to be back among knowledgeable, humorous and intelligent people again. Now I don't have to feed my addiction by strafing the parrotting imbeciles inhabiting the cesspit of [censored].

Unfortunately I have a couple of small pieces of unfinished business there which I hope one of my old inadversaries here might be able to assist with. Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
    Last edited by Roy; 01-31-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You spent time on another forum???

You sir, are a forum tart!

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Had to get my fix somehow...
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Yay! It's so good to be back among knowledgeable, humorous and intelligent people again. Now I don't have to feed my addiction by strafing the parrotting imbeciles inhabiting the cesspit of [censored].

Unfortunately I have a couple of small pieces of unfinished business there which I hope one of my old inadversaries here might be able to assist with. Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
    A preview is available online

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks rogue, but it doesn't contain the article I'm after

Roy

Faith
    Thinking
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
    I have my copy right here. What info from it do you seek?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    I have my copy right here. What info from it do you seek?
    You are a :star:. I'm after the exact text of the section in 'The return of hopeful monsters' that starts:
    All paleontologists know that the fossil record contains ...
    Many thanks,

Roy
    Last edited by Roy; 01-31-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just checked my library. I have eleven of Gould's books, but not that one.

Faith
    Thinking
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You are a :star:. I'm after the exact text of the section in 'The return of hopeful monsters' that starts:

Many thanks,

Roy
    "All paleontologists know that the fossil record contains precious little in the way of intermediate forms; transitions between major groups are characteristically abrupt. Gradualists usually extract themselves from this dilemma by invoking the extreme imperfection of the fossil record. Although I reject this argument (for reasons discussed in essay 17), let us grant the traditional escape and ask a different question. Even though we have no direct evidence for smooth transitions, can we invent a reasonable sequence of intermediate forms -- that is, viable, functioning organisms -- between ancestors and descendants in major structural transitions? Of what possible use are the imperfect incipient stages of useful structures? What good is half a jaw or half a wing? The concept of preadaptation provides the conventional answer by permitting us to argue that incipient stages performed different functions. The half jaw worked perfectly well as a series of gill-supporting bones; the half wing may have trapped prey or controlled body temperature. I regard preadaptation as an important, even an indispensable, concept. But a plausible story is not necessarily true. I do not doubt that preadaptation can save gradualism in some cases, but does it permit us to invent a tale of continuity in most or all cases? I submit, although it may only reflect my lack of imagination, that the answer is no, and I invoke two recently supported cases of discontinuous change in my defense."

HTH.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Many thanks - you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Roy