Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

[Some other forum] and SJ Gould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Some other forum] and SJ Gould

Yay! It's so good to be back among knowledgeable, humorous and intelligent people again. Now I don't have to feed my addiction by strafing the parrotting imbeciles inhabiting the cesspit of [censored].

Unfortunately I have a couple of small pieces of unfinished business there which I hope one of my old inadversaries here might be able to assist with. Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
    Last edited by Roy; 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

You spent time on another forum???

You sir, are a forum tart!

Comment

Had to get my fix somehow...
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Yay! It's so good to be back among knowledgeable, humorous and intelligent people again. Now I don't have to feed my addiction by strafing the parrotting imbeciles inhabiting the cesspit of [censored].

Unfortunately I have a couple of small pieces of unfinished business there which I hope one of my old inadversaries here might be able to assist with. Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
        A preview is available online

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks rogue, but it doesn't contain the article I'm after

Roy

Comment

Would any of you happen to have a copy of SJ Gould's "Panda's Thumb" handy? Mine has gone missing

Roy
            I have my copy right here. What info from it do you seek?

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
              I have my copy right here. What info from it do you seek?
              You are a :star:. I'm after the exact text of the section in 'The return of hopeful monsters' that starts:
              All paleontologists know that the fossil record contains ...
              Many thanks,

Roy
              Last edited by Roy; 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Just checked my library. I have eleven of Gould's books, but not that one.

Comment

You are a :star:. I'm after the exact text of the section in 'The return of hopeful monsters' that starts:

Many thanks,

Roy
                  "All paleontologists know that the fossil record contains precious little in the way of intermediate forms; transitions between major groups are characteristically abrupt. Gradualists usually extract themselves from this dilemma by invoking the extreme imperfection of the fossil record. Although I reject this argument (for reasons discussed in essay 17), let us grant the traditional escape and ask a different question. Even though we have no direct evidence for smooth transitions, can we invent a reasonable sequence of intermediate forms -- that is, viable, functioning organisms -- between ancestors and descendants in major structural transitions? Of what possible use are the imperfect incipient stages of useful structures? What good is half a jaw or half a wing? The concept of preadaptation provides the conventional answer by permitting us to argue that incipient stages performed different functions. The half jaw worked perfectly well as a series of gill-supporting bones; the half wing may have trapped prey or controlled body temperature. I regard preadaptation as an important, even an indispensable, concept. But a plausible story is not necessarily true. I do not doubt that preadaptation can save gradualism in some cases, but does it permit us to invent a tale of continuity in most or all cases? I submit, although it may only reflect my lack of imagination, that the answer is no, and I invoke two recently supported cases of discontinuous change in my defense."

HTH.

Comment

Many thanks - you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Roy

Comment