Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity and the Origin of Sanskrit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
    Buddhas, its original name, would have to be stamped on Bronze or Iron, and may pre-Byzantine Greek building are mistaken for old Hellenic buildings. You certainly can't press Buddhas with anything that would be in undiscovered Gold. And I don't place much faith in the dates that are on any coin. There is still a chance that it is the buddhas mentioned by pre-byzantine or byzantine writer.

Also let us not forget how recent those Buddhist scrolls were, and that the Buddha is mentioned much later, if I recall correctly.

How much Bronze was a days worth of pay BTW? How big was the Drachma. It could be bigger than the hand.
    I wanted to make it clear that there is at present no evidence for a significant influence of Christianity on Buddhism, nor Buddhism on Christianity.

The Roman records are clear and specific, not forgeries, there were Buddhist Ambassadors in Alexandria around the time of Christ.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      No sources cited here just conjecture.
      Coins are nothing but conjecture, and are easily forged. You have failed to respond about "New Testament Anti-Semitism" as well.

And the term Jew is not synonymous with the word Israelite in the New Testament.
      Last edited by Omniskeptical; 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

The Roman records are clear and specific, not forgeries, there were Buddhist Ambassadors in Alexandria around the time of Christ.
        There isn't one Israelite building which survives from the time of Christ. Not even the only stone one, the temple to God.

Comment

There isn't one Israelite building which survives from the time of Christ. Not even the only stone one, the temple to God.
          At one time in the past you made sense and we dialogued frequently on a number of issues, and of course we did not agree, but recently you don't make any sense at all. Here your changing the subject, and really bouncing off the wall.

There are in reality a number of the foundations and parts structures found in Israel dating from the time of Christ. Considering the destruction over the centuries it is normal that buildings do not exist, but that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

The Roman records exist and there is no reason to believe they are forgeries. Buddhist ambassadors were indeed in the Rome and in Alexandria. There is also a great deal of evidence of trade between the Orient, Rome and Europe, and Buddhists involved with this trade. You need to provide references to back up your claims and stay on subject.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Coins are nothing but conjecture, and are easily forged. You have failed to respond about "New Testament Anti-Semitism" as well.

And the term Jew is not synonymous with the word Israelite in the New Testament.
            You are not making sense in either thread.

I responded in the other thread and off topic. There Roman records of Buddhist ambassadors in Rome at the time, and no evidence of forgeries of the coins and Roman records, and no reason to forge such things. They are simply archeological finds from known sites. Conjecture is not evidence, need references, still waiting.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM.

Frank

Comment

At one time in the past you made sense and we dialogued frequently on a number of issues, and of course we did not agree, but recently you don't make any sense at all. Here your changing the subject, and really bouncing off the wall.

There are in reality a number of the foundations and parts structures found in Israel dating from the time of Christ. Considering the destruction over the centuries it is normal that buildings do not exist, but that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

The Roman records exist and there is no reason to believe they are forgeries. Buddhist ambassadors were indeed in the Rome and in Alexandria. There is also a great deal of evidence of trade between the Orient, Rome and Europe, and Buddhists involved with this trade. You need to provide references to back up your claims and stay on subject.
              The many stone buldings require Iron Age tools; and Israel was only in the bronze age. Syro-Phonecia or Parthenian Persia was the first to develop such metallurgy.

Comment

The many stone buldings require Iron Age tools; and Israel was only in the bronze age. Syro-Phonecia or Parthenian Persia was the first to develop such metallurgy.
                I do not consider this relevant either to the question of Buddhists being present in Rome before and during the time of Christ. As far as I know there is not claim of forgery or misrepresentation of Roman records.

Just the history of earthquakes in the region precludes the existence of any buildings from Turkey to Iran/Iraq. In Rome buildings were beginning to be built with concrete, which led to some structures surviving over time. Wars took out most others.

Frank

Comment

Why? Stone structures were built with bronze age tools. Or are you saying these specific structures required iron tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuttlebones View Post
                    Why? Stone structures were built with bronze age tools. Or are you saying these specific structures required iron tools?
                    In Neolithic, Bronze Age and even into the Iron Age. Stone tools, wedging, abrading, stone drills, and other methods with stone on stone were used form stones for buildings.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Cuttlebones View Post
                      Iron works better. It tends to defile bronze. Stone buildings definitely require metallurgy.

Comment

Iron works better. It tends to defile bronze. Stone buildings definitely require metallurgy.
                        No, many Neolithic to Chalcolithic cultures built very large stone buildings with stone tools, and other methods without Bronze nor iron. Egypt (used stone and copper), Incas, Aztecs, Chinese built stone structures prior to the Bronze and Iron Age.

Frank

Comment

No, many Neolithic to Chalcolithic cultures built very large stone buildings with stone tools, and other methods without Bronze nor iron. Egypt (used stone and copper), Incas, Aztecs, Chinese built stone structures prior to the Bronze and Iron Age.
                          Try building it with metal tools first, before you say a stupid thing such as that. We can prove they did without tools, and it is much easier too use tools. You imply the Chinese and the Egyptians did not have those tools. That was also lame. Because Aztec and Incan metal tools have not been found, thou assumes wrongly that they didn't have them.

Thus two of thy examples are wrong. Two of them are ambiguous. Thou isn't being totally honest. But we all already know thec to be a poser.
                          Last edited by Omniskeptical; 04-09-2015, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Try building it with metal tools first, before you say a stupid thing such as that. We can prove they did without tools, and it is much easier too use tools. You imply the Chinese and the Egyptians did not have those tools. That was also lame. Because Aztec and Incan metal tools have not been found, thou assumes wrongly that they didn't have them.

Thus two of thy examples are wrong. Two of them are ambiguous. Thou isn't being totally honest. But we all already know thec to be a poser.
                            Egyptians had copper tools, not bronze nor iron.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques

There have been many hypotheses about the Egyptian pyramid construction techniques. These techniques seem to have developed over time; later pyramids were not built the same way as earlier ones. Most of the construction hypotheses are based on the idea that huge stones were carved with copper chisels from stone quarries, and these blocks were then dragged and lifted into position. Disagreements chiefly concern the methods used to move and place the stones. There is also another hypothesis that they were built out of geopolymer cement, otherwise known as cast stone.

© Copyright Original Source

They have found the quarries, stone tools, and partially worked stones in both Aztec and Inca constructions clearly detailing the construction methods. They were distinctly Neolithic cultures. Absolutely not bronze or iron tools nor weapons have been found in any Native (North, Central nor South) American culture prior to the arrival of the Europeans in the 15th century.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_architecture

Neolithic architecture refers to structures encompassing housing and shelter from approximately 10,000 to 2,000 BC, the Neolithic period. In southwest Asia, Neolithic cultures appear soon after 10,000 BC, initially in the Levant (Pre-Pottery Neolithic A and Pre-Pottery Neolithic B) and from there into the east and west. Early Neolithic structures can be found in southeast Anatolia, Syria, and Iraq by 8,000 BC, with food-producing societies first appearing in southeast Europe by 7,000 BC, and central Europe by ca. 5,500 BC (of which the earliest cultural complexes include the Starčevo-Koros (Cris), Linearbandkeramic, and Vinča.[citation needed] The people of the Americas and the Pacific remained at the Neolithic level of technology up until the time of European contact, including very small exceptions (a few copper hatchets and spear heads in the Great Lakes region).

At best these Neolithic and Chalcolithic Cultures had some copper tools
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-09-2015, 11:49 AM.

Frank

Comment

Egyptians had copper tools, not bronze nor iron.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques

There have been many hypotheses about the Egyptian pyramid construction techniques. These techniques seem to have developed over time; later pyramids were not built the same way as earlier ones. Most of the construction hypotheses are based on the idea that huge stones were carved with copper chisels from stone quarries, and these blocks were then dragged and lifted into position. Disagreements chiefly concern the methods used to move and place the stones. There is also another hypothesis that they were built out of geopolymer cement, otherwise known as cast stone.

They have found the quarries, stone tools, and partially worked stones in both Aztec and Inca constructions clearly detailing the construction methods. They were distinctly Neolithic cultures. Absolutely not bronze or iron tools nor weapons have been found in any Native (North, Central nor South) American culture prior to the arrival of the Europeans in the 15th century.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_architecture

Neolithic architecture refers to structures encompassing housing and shelter from approximately 10,000 to 2,000 BC, the Neolithic period. In southwest Asia, Neolithic cultures appear soon after 10,000 BC, initially in the Levant (Pre-Pottery Neolithic A and Pre-Pottery Neolithic B) and from there into the east and west. Early Neolithic structures can be found in southeast Anatolia, Syria, and Iraq by 8,000 BC, with food-producing societies first appearing in southeast Europe by 7,000 BC, and central Europe by ca. 5,500 BC (of which the earliest cultural complexes include the Starčevo-Koros (Cris), Linearbandkeramic, and Vinča.[citation needed] The people of the Americas and the Pacific remained at the Neolithic level of technology up until the time of European contact, including very small exceptions (a few copper hatchets and spear heads in the Great Lakes region).

At best these Neolithic and Chalcolithic Cultures had some copper tools
                              You only believe these things, because you are a poser.

Comment

You only believe these things, because you are a poser.
                                In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

Frank

Comment