Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Evolution and science compared to religious belief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    what if there was proof ,
    what if you had proof that water was created from nothing......or hydrogen and oxygen atoms that did not exist popped into existance and afterwards, dissappeared into non existance,

then what?

IOW, what if Bible God left His mess, and said, "I want to make sure every human knows I did this"

how would that affect you
    If there was physical evidence of a grand scale miracle, then I would be more disposed to believe other stuff the Bible says.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      If there was physical evidence of a grand scale miracle, then I would be more disposed to believe other stuff the Bible says.
      ok, why not Just have God in the sky , and every time you looked He was looking right at you,

and to everybody He appeared to be looking right at them.
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

you dont need a talking snake to start a cult of the talking snake.

look, as far as atheists are concerned, you dont even need a God to start any religion
        And indeed, religions have been started and still thrive without gods. But statistically, it helps to have at least one god in any religion you start.

Comment

Hopefully, you'd not abandon your skepticism. Jeanne Dixon became famous for predicting JFK's assassination, but if you look at her record over the rest of the thousands of predictions, she did not better than one would expect from any informed person. Apprently she got lucky, not so much in guessing one right, but in being in position to leverage it.

So I would hope you wouldn't be more disposed to believe the other stuff, but rather less disposed to dismiss it out of hand. You could end up like the early geologists, who went out to gather evidence of Noah's Flood. And at first they found quite a bit of evidence that large quantities of water had shoved things around. Eventually, enough such evidence was compiled to learn about ice ages.

Comment

ok, why not Just have God in the sky , and every time you looked He was looking right at you,

Good question. Why not?

Comment

Good question. Why not?
              and yours was a better question.

well, if its ok with you, its ok with me.

........isn't that what ~The Christian~ wants ?

"The Return of Christ" ...the Son of God, Christ the Creator, Ruling the Earth
              To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

And let's have the God in the sky being Thoth, in the form of an ibis, with the serpent Apep coiled around his neck.

How would that affect you?

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  When I wrote “separate”, I was thinking about something Frank Schaeffer once said about carrying on the tradition of the Greek Orthodox Church until Christ comes. Jews and Muslims are also waiting for something. While there is always personal development, the church itself is static or separate from progress being made elsewhere because the revelation of God, in their terms, has ended.
                  Gotcha...

K54

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    And let's have the God in the sky being Thoth, in the form of an ibis, with the serpent Apep coiled around his neck.

Roy
                    you must be projecting atheist attributes.

I am a born again Christian, I am not one who "lacks belief"

I will never never never have to worry about Thoth or any other god than Bible God.

Born Agains are caused
                    .. to know the deal

We know Scripture is Direct From God , so we have confidence that there is

no other gods Isaiah 43

no other gods Isaiah 44

no other gods Isaiah 45

no other gods, no other salvation New Testament

.........I know..........
                    Last edited by jordanriver; 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I am a born again Christian, I am not one who "lacks belief"

I will never never never have to worry about Thoth or any other god than Bible God.

Born Agains are caused to know the deal

We know Scripture is Direct From God , so we have confidence that there is

no other gods Isaiah 43

no other gods Isaiah 44

no other gods Isaiah 45

no other gods, no other salvation New Testament

.........I know..........
                      Ah, so evidence means nothing to you. Just a vague sort of 'knowing'.

Comment

Ah, so evidence means nothing to you. Just a vague sort of 'knowing'.
                        what?
                        you have evidence of other gods?

Comment

what?
                          you have evidence of other gods?
                          I have no concrete evidence of any Gods at all. This doesn't mean they don't exist. But if someone makes particular claims of a God acting in the physical universe in a way that ought to 'leave a mark' and no signs of that mark exist, it is reasonable to conclude that their claim is most likely wrong.

Comment

I have no concrete evidence of any Gods at all. This doesn't mean they don't exist. But if someone makes particular claims of a God acting in the physical universe in a way that ought to 'leave a mark' and no signs of that mark exist, it is reasonable to conclude that their claim is most likely wrong.
                            yes, you are justified.

I (speaking only for myself and my interpretation of Scripture, and NOT speaking for any other Christian), cannot think of any reason you should believe what it says in The Bible

Comment

yes, you are justified.

I (speaking only for myself and my interpretation of Scripture, and NOT speaking for any other Christian), cannot think of any reason you should believe what it says in The Bible
                              That's an interesting thing to say. Many Christians at this point cite Romans and say I 'really' know God exists and I am either lying or deluded. I thank you for not going in that direction.

Comment

No, just exposing you (again) as a cowardly hypocrite.

You're constantly asking others how they would react if your religion was proven correct, but you always evade similar questions asked of you.

Roy
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment