Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Raw almonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So I've been told.
    Or you could invent her a potato peeler at rogue tech.

Like:

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Or you could invent her a potato peeler at rogue tech.

Like:
      Naw. Just put CP on KP.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If I eat very many raw walnuts I get some unpleasantness in my mouth. Not exactly itching just uncomfortable. I can handle a few, but not many. No other raw nuts or other foods trouble me like that.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I just ate one almond that I have soaked for 3 hours, and it still makes my mouth itchy........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Soaking nuts in water is supposed to draw out phytic acid. That is a nasty customer http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...h-phytic-acid/

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
              Soaking nuts in water is supposed to draw out phytic acid. That is a nasty customer http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...h-phytic-acid/
              Interesting read! Thanks!
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Mossy be very careful that you are not eating something you are actually allergic to. The nausea and stomach ache from the almonds and the oral reactions to foods can signal allergies which at some point can turn anaphylactic. This happened to a teen I know with peanuts his nausea turned anaphylactic and me with black pepper only it was oral. I also have a violent oral reaction to peach skin. I peel them. FYI please take any concerns to an allergist.
                Last edited by Catholicity; 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Interesting read! Thanks!
                  Thank you, and you're welcome. Perhaps I should add that nuts and seeds are also high in polyunsaturated fats, which are bad for the thyroid system (several hormones in that). I don't think soaking nut or seed for a day or so would really make them healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Raw potatoes make my hands itch when I peel them. I don't eat them raw (although did as a kid), but the itching on my hands is worse than the itch in my mouth from eating cherries.

We don't have peeled potatoes very often, needless to say. Sometimes if the skin is thin I even mash them with the skin on.
                    Ha, I never peel them. It's where the vitamins are, I say!

Comment

Originally posted by just Johnna View Post
                      Ha, I never peel them. It's where the vitamins are, I say!
                      True. And I don't peel them often.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

From what I just read, phytic acid is found in the hulls of nuts, not the meat so I doubt that is the problem. And basically it is just indigestible, not irritating. So you might get diarrhea if you eat too many, it doesn't explain the itching.

I think you just might be allergic to raw almonds.

Comment

Just ate an almond that I soaked yesterday.

Still a tiny bit of oral reaction, but nothing as per usual.

Will try a few more later on.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Just ate an almond that I soaked yesterday.

Still a tiny bit of oral reaction, but nothing as per usual.

Will try a few more later on.
                            Why don't you just roast them?

Comment

Why don't you just roast them?
                              I might do that.

Comment

From what I just read, phytic acid is found in the hulls of nuts, not the meat so I doubt that is the problem.
                                2 things wrong with your post. First, nobody wants to eat the shells or hulls or husks. So, it doesn't matter how much phytic acid there is in them. Besides, soaking nuts that have not been unshelled won't do much to get rid of the acid in the meat--or may actually increase the acid content in the meat!

And basically it is just indigestible, not irritating. So you might get diarrhea if you eat too many, it doesn't explain the itching.
                                Second, the acid itself may not be easy to assimilate, but the point is, it interferes with the uptake of nutrients and otherwise disrupts the functioning of the body.

I think you just might be allergic to raw almonds.
                                Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X