Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Raw almonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthseeker
    Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I will go that route. There is enough evidence that nuts are healthy and can be eaten, like anything else, in moderation.

If I find that I can't tolerate almonds in any form, then I will not eat them. But there are other nuts that I can eat without adverse reactions and I will then eat those.

I've had half a dozen today, not all at once, with very little oral reaction and no stomach reaction. I will try a few more tomorrow, and perhaps the key is to not eat a bunch at once, and at the very least soak the ones I do eat.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I will go that route. There is enough evidence that nuts are healthy and can be eaten, like anything else, in moderation.
      How moderate? Strychnine can be taken indefinitely in small enough doses. But why take it? But see below.

But there are other nuts that I can eat without adverse reactions and I will then eat those.
      To be sure, reasons can be found easily to justify eating nuts. However, if there's a food that doesn't have phytic acid and otherwise matches your nuts in goodness, it would make sense to choose the one food over the other.

I've had half a dozen today, not all at once, with very little oral reaction and no stomach reaction. I will try a few more tomorrow, and perhaps the key is to not eat a bunch at once, and at the very least soak the ones I do eat.
      I'm skeptical you can tell whether eating nuts, even as moderately as that, is not harming you at all.

Comment

Truthseeker, there are lots of things that we eat that that may be harmful in large enough doses.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Truthseeker, there are lots of things that we eat that that may be harmful in large enough doses.
          Never dark chocolate!!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Never dark chocolate!!
            Or bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
              2 things wrong with your post. First, nobody wants to eat the shells or hulls or husks. So, it doesn't matter how much phytic acid there is in them.

That WAS the point, TS. Since most of the phytic acid is in the hulls, it is doubtful that phytic acid is the problem since I seriously doubt mossy is eating almond husks.

Besides, soaking nuts that have not been unshelled won't do much to get rid of the acid in the meat--or may actually increase the acid content in the meat!
              derp.

Second, the acid itself may not be easy to assimilate, but the point is, it interferes with the uptake of nutrients and otherwise disrupts the functioning of the body.
              She is probably NOT having a problem with phytic acid in the first place. It seems to be almonds themselves. Phytic acid is found in beans, grains, raw vegetables (salads?) yet she hasn't mentioned having problems with them.

Mossy and her readers, I think you should give up nuts and seeds altogether. Some legumes such as peanuts, too.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                That WAS the point, TS. Since most of the phytic acid is in the hulls, it is doubtful that phytic acid is the problem since I seriously doubt mossy is eating almond husks.
                Good grief, you can't possibly know what harm Mossy may be getting from eating say the meat of walnuts.

She is probably NOT having a problem with phytic acid in the first place.
                That is possible, but . . .

It seems to be almonds themselves. Phytic acid is found in beans, grains, raw vegetables (salads?) yet she hasn't mentioned having problems with them.
                I remain skeptical she know exactly what's going on in her body and why.

Let's leave our dispute here.

Comment

Is popcorn ok?

Comment

Is popcorn ok?

Better with organic butter produced from grass-fed (pastured) mammals. Even so, is buttered popcorn healthy? My guess is, maybe in moderation. The corn could be GMO. If not, what about the lack of enzymes?

Comment

Comment

Well, I had 6 of my soaked almonds about an hour ago. Aside from a bit of mouth itchiness and a tiny bit of indigestion, certainly none of the extreme reactions from earlier this week.

I think I will have to toast them, because this is still too much reaction for my liking.

Comment

This evening I read a health-care article that recommends soaking nuts and seeds for 8-12 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                            This evening I read a health-care article that recommends soaking nuts and seeds for 8-12 hours.
                            Must... resist... mind... in... gutter....
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Comment

I am not sure I understand.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X