Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God is Not Dead - Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the review CP.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
      It comes out on my birthday 3/21. Don't you need to have existed at some point in order to be dead? That's what I'd be asking the Professor...
      No one ever dies. Everyone lives forever.
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I came across an interesting post today that was critical of the idea of the movie (though it doesn't seem like the writer has actually seen the movie): http://christandpopculture.com/gods-...this-trope-is/
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I came across an interesting post today that was critical of the idea of the movie (though it doesn't seem like the writer has actually seen the movie): http://christandpopculture.com/gods-...this-trope-is/
          There's a lot of truth in what this review says. But the best lie is 99% true, so,

The movie is, indeed, a bit hokey, and to my knowledge, does not claim to be based on fact. There are, indeed, a lot of "circumstances" in the movie, but I've seen God do some amazing things that could easily be argued as "circumstances".

There are some interesting points and counterpoints in "the debate" between the professor and the student, but it does, at times, seem to be overly dramatic.

I think one of the best lessons could be that there are, indeed, situations on higher education where the Christian is attacked (I had one sociology class where the professor loved beating up on Christians) in an environment where tolerance is preached but not practiced.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think one of the best lessons could be that there are, indeed, situations on higher education where the Christian is attacked (I had one sociology class where the professor loved beating up on Christians) in an environment where tolerance is preached but not practiced.
            That's a good lesson, and a lot of it is really subtle... I remember my biology professor teaching that Christians should believe in a flat earth if they are consistent with the Bible... I'm not saying we should turn college students into debating machines or anything, but they do need to know what they're going to face and to keep the company of other Christians on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              That's a good lesson, and a lot of it is really subtle... I remember my biology professor teaching that Christians should believe in a flat earth if they are consistent with the Bible... I'm not saying we should turn college students into debating machines or anything, but they do need to know what they're going to face and to keep the company of other Christians on campus.
              Yeah, I was pretty young when I took that sociology class, and had been taught to respect those in authority over me. Looking back, I remember I was quite devastated for a while, that this man "in authority" would attack me so directly for no other reason that I was a Christian. I wasn't prepared for that at all.

I was attending the Baptist Student Union at the time, and I mentioned this to the Director of the BSU. He knew the professor, and explained that he thinks this guy just does that because it makes him look tough.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I honestly am starting to get the idea that the majority of Christians shouldn't even go to college. It seems like all it does is promote sin, sex, alcoholism, and impractical courses of study. If you had enough discipline, just think of how much you could learn through self-study, in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                  I honestly am starting to get the idea that the majority of Christians shouldn't even go to college. It seems like all it does is promote sin, sex, alcoholism, and impractical courses of study. If you had enough discipline, just think of how much you could learn through self-study, in comparison.
                  We homeschooled our children. They were FAR more equipped to go to college than I was. I was able to help them understand what they were up against, and prepare them for the onslaught.

Even more importantly, since they homeschooled through high school, they were fully capable of doing their own research, writing their own papers, using the library to full advantage --- things my high school did not prepare me to do. I was pretty "lost" my first couple years of college because I did NOT have the discipline that my daughters were taught.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                    Don't you need to have existed at some point in order to be dead? That's what I'd be asking the Professor...

The phrase comes from Nietzsche, and it's a deeper philosophical point about metaphysics in general. I am actually pleasantly surprised that the movie is using some great lines like "God is dead" or "sound and fury signifying nothing" - these phrases appear in the writings of the great Atheist existentialist philosophers.

Comment

That would be a more accurate description of high school. In college you have more freedom to do your own thing without as much peer pressure. I wouldnt say that college promotes "impractical courses of study" because a college degree might be required to get a career, depending on what field(s) you embark in. Self-study just doesn't work in some fields, such as the sciences, unless you somehow have that kind of a laboratory at home. College is also where you learn how to write essays and reports, etc.

Comment

I actually didn't become a serious Christian until I went to college, and I earned a diploma I couldn't have earned through self study.

Comment

Degree Envy?
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The majority of Christians don't even go to grade school.

Comment

In the context of spirituality (whether they should attend for reasons outside of that is whole other issue), I agree if they aren't well established in their Christian faith. If they're uncertain, then it's almost a certainty that they'll fall away to the influences of secular thinking (which has a bias of its own). But what you said here is blasphemy. You'll get a lot of flak here for that.

Comment

I do think it is a recipe for disaster to send a kid off to university without a grounding in what they belief in their faith or opportunities for fellowship.

Comment