Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: God is Not Dead - Movie

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    God is not dead, so I am not really interested in seeing a movie about the topic.
    I think it's supposed to be about the faith and courage of a young man who stands up to his atheist college professor.
    Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us.
    Golda Meir

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    I did watch the trailer, it is more a matter - I suppose - of not being too much of a movie guy.

One of the Reds' responses to my comment about many internet atheists being jerkweeds:

"Yep - I have no patience with people who don't 'toe the line' when it comes to following logic and reason. If you are illogical and unreasonable, I'll belittle you."
    Coexistence between Christian and anti-theist for a long time is doomed to failure. Warfare between the two parties, sadly, may be inevitable.

I have a blog now, that I will update when I come up with an idea of what to review: http://dlabaoaqu.blogspot.com/

"Though what do I know. Im not a historian..." -- Markus River, August 5, 2014

Wife and I saw the movie last night. It was not as hokey as many "Christian films" we have seen, but does seem to have a lot of coincidences in it. I suppose you could say that was to show "God has a plan", but, imohbao, they overdid it just a tad. There's a "you can't handle the truth" moment, where I think the young college student overplays his part a bit, but it's for that (without trying to ruin the plot) climactic moment when the Professor... well... it's drama.

Over all, a pretty good movie for the average Christian / lost person, but the average atheist is probably going to discount it, and the hard core apologist is gonna be a bit disappointed.

It comes to a theater near you on 21 March.
    Golda Meir

Well, I personally cannot wait for this movie to come out. These are the kind of movies I go to theaters for. I barely do, so you know....
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

Thanks for the review CP.
    "Some of the most important things we want to say remain just a little beyond even our best words." - N.T. Wright, The Case for the Psalms: Why They Are Essential

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    It comes out on my birthday 3/21. Don't you need to have existed at some point in order to be dead? That's what I'd be asking the Professor...
    No one ever dies. Everyone lives forever.

I came across an interesting post today that was critical of the idea of the movie (though it doesn't seem like the writer has actually seen the movie): http://christandpopculture.com/gods-...this-trope-is/
    "Some of the most important things we want to say remain just a little beyond even our best words." - N.T. Wright, The Case for the Psalms: Why They Are Essential

Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I came across an interesting post today that was critical of the idea of the movie (though it doesn't seem like the writer has actually seen the movie): http://christandpopculture.com/gods-...this-trope-is/
    There's a lot of truth in what this review says. But the best lie is 99% true, so,

The movie is, indeed, a bit hokey, and to my knowledge, does not claim to be based on fact. There are, indeed, a lot of "circumstances" in the movie, but I've seen God do some amazing things that could easily be argued as "circumstances".

There are some interesting points and counterpoints in "the debate" between the professor and the student, but it does, at times, seem to be overly dramatic.

I think one of the best lessons could be that there are, indeed, situations on higher education where the Christian is attacked (I had one sociology class where the professor loved beating up on Christians) in an environment where tolerance is preached but not practiced.
    Golda Meir

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think one of the best lessons could be that there are, indeed, situations on higher education where the Christian is attacked (I had one sociology class where the professor loved beating up on Christians) in an environment where tolerance is preached but not practiced.
    That's a good lesson, and a lot of it is really subtle... I remember my biology professor teaching that Christians should believe in a flat earth if they are consistent with the Bible... I'm not saying we should turn college students into debating machines or anything, but they do need to know what they're going to face and to keep the company of other Christians on campus.