Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Video Game Music Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even when going back to 1982, I prefer to look at games that the designers actually finished:

This one stood out even then as a model for how games, and game music, were supposed to play, even on the oldest hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      I wasn't, but you're seriously considering Rogue Legacy as an indie side scroller that belongs on that list when Super Meat Boy is this thing that actually existed prior to Rogue Legacy. I know indies are supposed to be about not being able to afford polish for every element, but I strongly agree with the decision to let the music be the exception.
      I posted Rogue Legacy for the music but it's an excellent game all around. Certainly beats meatboy and is on par with (by now almost dead) older games where discovering the best ways to use the tools available to you was integral to the experience. A game like meatboy whose entire gameplay experience revolves around player reflexes just doesn't appeal to me.

Also, judging by how much you like the medieval-themed things, how do you put Starcraft on the list and not Warcraft 3?
      I like medieval-themed things, but I also like sci-fi things. Heroes had the benefit of having a lot of them in the series and I limited the list to 1 piece/game otherwise it would have been flooded with Emperor: Battle for Dune songs (another excellent game where the concept of "balance" never crossed any of the developers' minds). As to why I skipped Warcraft 3, I enjoyed the soundtrack but not the actual game, so it simply slipped my mind.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I was just thinking that this thread needed a bump when I realized w3sp had released yet another Monkey Island 2 cover.

Monkey Island 2 - Stan's previously used coffins (Piano Cover)

Comment

Pokémon Blue/Red - Pallet Town (Cover)

Nostalgia.

Comment

I always like the Pokecenter theme. In the newer games they have really done a good job updating the music IMO. I probably would play more, but I don't really know anyone who owns it. Well, one person, but said person lost the cartridge.

Comment

Final Fantasy VIII - Eyes On Me (piano cover)

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                I bought a cartridge of EVO a few years back. It's a fun game. I just wish I had a way to reliably play it. My SNES is old, and the laws concerning ROMs are confusing.
                Yeah, just for fun I checked what the price was on the cartridge of this game was. I bought it for $50 around years ago. It's now selling from $200 to $300(a few prices even higher).

Comment

Monkey Island 1 - Scumm Bar (piano cover)

Aye

Comment

Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 02-24-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Here are some pretty cool tracks:

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

For anyone who liked the Bionic Dues theme I posted earlier, the main guy behind that is here. Most of the stuff is instrumental, but I think some of it's really good. My favorite is still The Home We Once Knew which is the one I posted.

Comment

I forgot Okami.

I can't believe I forgot Okami.

Finally, while I never played Hotline Miami 2 (the series doesn't really interest me that much), I listened to this during a livestream of the game.

Comment

Though I haven't played the game in a while, I keep finding this one getting stuck in my head regularly. It's just that catchy.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Here's a piano rendition of Portal's "Still Alive" by Kyle Landry recorded during one of his Twitch streams.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X