Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Video Game Music Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Video Game Music Thread

Right, time for a thread about my second favorite thing after anime/manga, namely video game music. This will mainly be a thread where we discuss and post clips about video game soundtracks we've enjoyed. Not much else needs to be said.

Except one thing. I'm making a simple rule here that shouldn't be hard to follow. In order not to make this thread a bandwidth hog for people with slow internet connections I'd appreciate it if people kept the embedding to a maximum of once per 5 posts. I.e you have to wait 4 posts after the latest embedded video before you can embed another video into your post.*

So, without further ado here's a piano cover from a talented youtube musician of the Woodtick theme from the point&click adventure game Monkey Island 2. I still remember hardly progressing at all in the game because I was so caught up in enjoying the soundtrack that I didn't have time actually play the game.

*This is mainly to keep my own bad habit of embedding a video in every single post whenever I make threads like this in check.

I'm sure mossy doesn't know most video game tunes, but I think she'll remember this one.

[Edit: This must be the PS1 version, because it sounds much nicer than the PC version I'm used to hearing. ^_^ ]
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

This epic piece that never got used in S-Chaos, but was used in Triple Trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Except one thing. I'm making a simple rule here that shouldn't be hard to follow. In order not to make this thread a bandwidth hog for people with slow internet connections I'd appreciate it if people kept the embedding to a maximum of once per 5 posts. I.e you have to wait 4 posts after the latest embedded video before you can embed another video into your post.
        Just a quick clarification regarding this rule. What I meant by this rule was that you're required to wait for 4 posts in general before embedding a video in your post, not that you have to write 4 posts before you're allowed to embed another video again. I.e only every 5th post (maximum) in this thread should have a video embedded in it. It seems like The Melody Maker and DLAbaoaqu misinterpreted the rule in the latter sense. Or maybe they just didn't read it.

But now that I think about it, waiting 4 posts might actually be too much. I'm changing the count to every 3rd post. In other words, given that DLAbaoaqu has embedded a video in the post above this one, someone needs to post one more reply in addition to this post before anyone is allowed to embed another video into their post.

Comment

Here's a few of my favorites. I'll leave them as links instead of embedding them:

Annul from the Half-life 2 mod Neo-Tokyo

A Despair-Filled Farewell from Shadow of the Colossus

Shy Guy Beach from Mariokart Wii

Fuse Box from Payday 2

Rising Sun from Okami

Arnhem Knights from Medal of Honor: Frontline

Hydrocity - Act 2 from Sonic the Hedgehog 3
          Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Ah, this brings me back.

-The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
            Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
            Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Okay, anything from Chrono Trigger(especially Frog's Theme, and the Main Theme), both Kingdom Hearts themes, and much of the Zelda music. Kingdom Hearts is probably the best though.

Comment

If ya'll haven't discovered this guy yet, he's got wall-to-wall amazing covers of some of the best video game music of all time on his channel.
                “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
                -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

Oh, and this opening theme is great.

Comment

Another awesome channel for videogame music.

This medley leaves me choked up every time.
                    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
                    -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                      Ah, this brings me back.

At one point I could play some of these songs on a real ocarina.
                      I had the fairy one though, because I wasn't a fan of blue. It had less holes to memorize too. I also eventually learned "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Comment

Eh, since everyone seems to be ignoring my request to wait a few posts before embedding another video I'll just scrap the rule altogether. I guess I should have expected this.

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post

If ya'll haven't discovered this guy yet, he's got wall-to-wall amazing covers of some of the best video game music of all time on his channel.
                        I'm subscribed to this guy.

There's also Kyle Landry, one of the more talented pianists on YT, who's working as the lead composer for the yet-to-be-released Bacon Man game (with a title like that you just know that it'll be an awesome game ). Here's his piano rendition of the World One Theme for the game:

Comment

I only embedded one video, though I did quote somebody. Oops.

Another set of good themes. Star Ocean: First Departure, and Star Ocean:Second Evolution. Oh, and a game available on some mobile platforms "Eve of the Genesis". Surprised that a mobile game had that good of quality for an opening theme. Weird game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            I only embedded one video, though I did quote somebody. Oops.
                            Perhaps people have trouble understanding what I meant by the rule? It wasn't that you had to write 2 posts before you're allowed to embed another video, but rather that after anyone has embedded a video, you have to wait for 2 posts (regardless of who does the posting) before anyone can embed another video again. So after someone has embedded a video you need to wait two posts before you're allowed to embed another video.

Which would mean that the poster after me would be allowed to embed a video. But as I wrote before, I might just scrap the rule since people either seem to ignore it, or misunderstand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              Perhaps people have trouble understanding what I meant by the rule? It wasn't that you had to write 2 posts before you're allowed to embed another video, but rather that after anyone has embedded a video, you have to wait for 2 posts (regardless of who does the posting) before anyone can embed another video again. So after someone has embedded a video you need to wait two posts before you're allowed to embed another video.

Which would mean that the poster after me would be allowed to embed a video. But as I wrote before, I might just scrap the rule since people either seem to ignore it, or misunderstand it.
                              How about a rule like, use link instead of embedding? That way bandwidth usage in thread stays down, and people can still share their favorites.

Comment