Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Music Thread

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
    Ah, this brings me back.

At one point I could play some of these songs on a real ocarina.
    I had the fairy one though, because I wasn't a fan of blue. It had less holes to memorize too. I also eventually learned "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Eh, since everyone seems to be ignoring my request to wait a few posts before embedding another video I'll just scrap the rule altogether. I guess I should have expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post

If ya'll haven't discovered this guy yet, he's got wall-to-wall amazing covers of some of the best video game music of all time on his channel.
    I'm subscribed to this guy.

There's also Kyle Landry, one of the more talented pianists on YT, who's working as the lead composer for the yet-to-be-released Bacon Man game (with a title like that you just know that it'll be an awesome game ). Here's his piano rendition of the World One Theme for the game:

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I only embedded one video, though I did quote somebody. Oops.

Another set of good themes. Star Ocean: First Departure, and Star Ocean:Second Evolution. Oh, and a game available on some mobile platforms "Eve of the Genesis". Surprised that a mobile game had that good of quality for an opening theme. Weird game though.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I only embedded one video, though I did quote somebody. Oops.
    Perhaps people have trouble understanding what I meant by the rule? It wasn't that you had to write 2 posts before you're allowed to embed another video, but rather that after anyone has embedded a video, you have to wait for 2 posts (regardless of who does the posting) before anyone can embed another video again. So after someone has embedded a video you need to wait two posts before you're allowed to embed another video.

Which would mean that the poster after me would be allowed to embed a video. But as I wrote before, I might just scrap the rule since people either seem to ignore it, or misunderstand it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Perhaps people have trouble understanding what I meant by the rule? It wasn't that you had to write 2 posts before you're allowed to embed another video, but rather that after anyone has embedded a video, you have to wait for 2 posts (regardless of who does the posting) before anyone can embed another video again. So after someone has embedded a video you need to wait two posts before you're allowed to embed another video.

Which would mean that the poster after me would be allowed to embed a video. But as I wrote before, I might just scrap the rule since people either seem to ignore it, or misunderstand it.
    How about a rule like, use link instead of embedding? That way bandwidth usage in thread stays down, and people can still share their favorites.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    How about a rule like, use link instead of embedding? That way bandwidth usage in thread stays down, and people can still share their favorites.
    That might work.

But on the other hand...

You know what? I'll just scrap any restrictions whatsoever. Feel free to embed to your heart's content. If anyone's internet connections can't take that they can just change the forum settings so that it shows less posts per page.
    Last edited by Chrawnus; 01-19-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Time for some nostalgia:

The Secret of Monkey Island - Main Theme

I still remember how I got this game. I think I was in primary school (can't remember which grade), and had just been to a friend where we had played one of the Ape Escape games on his playstation. For some reason I really liked the game, and wanted a copy for myself, so some days later, when I saw a Monkey Island game collection (with the three games that had been released so far), my confused brain made a connection with the words monkey and ape and I convinced my mom to buy the collection for me thinking it was the game I had played at my friends home earlier (disregard the fact that there has never been a PC release of any Ape Escape games so far).

I'm so glad my brain decided to go bonkers on me that day, or I would never have discovered this gem of a series.

8. Amen Buzzword, T-Shirt Ninja amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This lady is awesome.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

10. Amen T-Shirt Ninja, Soyeong amen'd this post.
    Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If we're going for a 'best of," here's my recollections per system since I can actually remember all of these:

NES: almost anything from Sunsoft, particularly Journey to Silius.

Genesis: Shining Force II. Much of the game qualifies, but one very much in particular. Also deserves honorable mention for inspiring a Game Gear soundtrack that was almost as good.

SNES: In terms of best consistent quality and most persistent originality, Secret of Mana. Note that the composer later went on to become a director. One of the great exceptions to the rule that one with a degree in "Religious Studies, Philosophy, and Cultural Anthropology" is completely useless.

PSX: The entire Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack, obviously.

N64: Most of Rare's ouevre, to be honest.

PS2: At about this time the effective practical limitations on music in games were removed, so I'll just cheat and say Final Fantasy XII, given how astonishingly good the composer is. I'm already sensing a theme here: Square seems to have had a habit of dropping talented musicians like Microsoft tends to drop talented anything.

PC, circa 1990s: Jazz Jackrabbit. Later on, Tyrian, the bestest scrolling shooter ever, was released, and nothing of note has been released on the PC since then.

Faith
    Agnostic Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've never played this game but I've heard this theme song before and think it's awesome:

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

13. Amen The Melody Maker, Cerebrum123, Soyeong amen'd this post.