Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Video Game Music Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    How about a rule like, use link instead of embedding? That way bandwidth usage in thread stays down, and people can still share their favorites.
    That might work.

But on the other hand...

You know what? I'll just scrap any restrictions whatsoever. Feel free to embed to your heart's content. If anyone's internet connections can't take that they can just change the forum settings so that it shows less posts per page.
    Last edited by JonathanL; 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Time for some nostalgia:

The Secret of Monkey Island - Main Theme

I still remember how I got this game. I think I was in primary school (can't remember which grade), and had just been to a friend where we had played one of the Ape Escape games on his playstation. For some reason I really liked the game, and wanted a copy for myself, so some days later, when I saw a Monkey Island game collection (with the three games that had been released so far), my confused brain made a connection with the words monkey and ape and I convinced my mom to buy the collection for me thinking it was the game I had played at my friends home earlier (disregard the fact that there has never been a PC release of any Ape Escape games so far).

I'm so glad my brain decided to go bonkers on me that day, or I would never have discovered this gem of a series.

Comment

This lady is awesome.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
        -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

If we're going for a 'best of," here's my recollections per system since I can actually remember all of these:

NES: almost anything from Sunsoft, particularly Journey to Silius.

Genesis: Shining Force II. Much of the game qualifies, but one very much in particular. Also deserves honorable mention for inspiring a Game Gear soundtrack that was almost as good.

SNES: In terms of best consistent quality and most persistent originality, Secret of Mana. Note that the composer later went on to become a director. One of the great exceptions to the rule that one with a degree in "Religious Studies, Philosophy, and Cultural Anthropology" is completely useless.

PSX: The entire Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack, obviously.

N64: Most of Rare's ouevre, to be honest.

PS2: At about this time the effective practical limitations on music in games were removed, so I'll just cheat and say Final Fantasy XII, given how astonishingly good the composer is. I'm already sensing a theme here: Square seems to have had a habit of dropping talented musicians like Microsoft tends to drop talented anything.

PC, circa 1990s: Jazz Jackrabbit. Later on, Tyrian, the bestest scrolling shooter ever, was released, and nothing of note has been released on the PC since then.

Comment

I've never played this game but I've heard this theme song before and think it's awesome:

"Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
            -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              If we're going for a 'best of," here's my recollections per system since I can actually remember all of these:

PC, circa 1990s: Jazz Jackrabbit. Later on, Tyrian, the bestest scrolling shooter ever, was released, and nothing of note has been released on the PC since then.
              While I don't agree with the latter sentiment, I'm totally doing a "OMG SOMEBODY ELSE LOVED THESE!" with your choice of games.

Especially the Jazz Jackrabbit Christmas edition, Holiday Hare.
              “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
              -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

Hoo boy... I've got a big list, and this isn't even all of it.

"Crocodile Cacophony" - Final Boss theme from Donkey Kong Country 2. Heck, the DKC games for the SNES has some crazy awesome soundtracks.

"The Betrayer" -Shovel Knight. The soundtrack in general is a fine example of 8-bit style music.

"Boss Theme" - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I'm a fan of Jake Kaufman's stuff, so it makes sense that some of his work would be on here.

"Izzy Glow's Stage" - Mega Man X5. Actually... just put every Mega Man Soundtrack ever here.

"Bowser's Castle" - Mario Kart 8. This is the kind of awesomeness that I expect from the BGM of the Big-Bad's-Castle-Turned-Race-Course.

"Eternity" - Blue Dragon Boss Theme. Yeah... the vocals are kind of cheesy, but at the same time it's the memorable kind of cheesy (the fact that they're sung by the lead vocalist of Deep Purple doesn't hurt).

"The Decisive Battle" - Final Fantasy 6. I've actually caught myself whistling this while I'm at work (alongside Christmas Carols and "Pop Goes the Weasel").
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

A couple of my favorites that come to mind.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy had really excellent music.

Whenever you hear this music in any Mario game, prepare for much frustration...

This one is one of my favorite pieces from that game. It captures the feeling of freedom as well as the beauty of the universe.
                    Last edited by T-Shirt Ninja; 01-19-2015, 11:02 PM.
                    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                    -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Ok, last one for tonight. I really loved the music from the Oil Ocean stage of Sonic 2.
                      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
                        While I don't agree with the latter sentiment,
                        Tongue may have been somewhat in cheek (looks at his somewhat formidable Steam library)

I'm totally doing a "OMG SOMEBODY ELSE LOVED THESE!" with your choice of games.

Especially the Jazz Jackrabbit Christmas edition, Holiday Hare.
                        Remember that there were TWO of them, one for 1994, one for 95.

Another highly honorable mention from the era: Skyroads. A racing game with fantastic music that finally seems to have gotten some people willing to iterate on the concept with the latest gen hardware-about 20-odd years later.

Finally, a big shout-out has to go to one particular company that brought their A game to both music and graphics for whatever genre they made, whether it was a miniature golf game (don't bring me these latecomers) or an Arkanoid clone that's far more polished and tactical than the original.

Remember, with the current "indie" scene, everything old is [s]plagirized[/s] new again. Though I'll admit that a game like Super Meat Boy most definitely gets the musical spirit of the time. The thing was, back then, the level of polish and musical virtuosity was so common and expected that it was being dropped on...mini golf games and arkanoid clones. (Playing it on home computers rather than cell hones probably contributed.)

Comment

Speaking of Mario Galaxy... I was glad to hear this tune again for the "Bowser" Stages:

I was glad to hear this song again. Mostly because when I heard it in Super Mario 64, I knew that they wouldn't be able to top it (seriously... it's been rattling around in my head for almost 20 years).
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                            I've never played this game but I've heard this theme song before and think it's awesome:

If you have a DS(or anything compatible), a PSP, PS3, PS4, Wii, or Wii U you can play it again. The DS one is best, because it has extra content. It gives more than just the extra endings as a reason to play after beating the main story.

Comment

Time for some more nostalgia. I remember playing this game on my amiga. I was so young then.

James Pond II: Robocod - Intro Theme

I think the theme is based on, or perhaps even copies the Robocop film music directly.

Comment

Definitely a take-off on it, maybe not quite a full copy (know that theme all too well )

If you're going back to the 80s(always a worthwhile activity,) don't forget Tim Follin, who seemed to have a knack for writing especially excellent chiptunes for games that were SO HARD YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR ANYTHING MORE THAN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS:

Sky Shark, at least, was playable, and difficult in a mostly good way. This man also did the NES Silver Surfer game, where the deaths came closer to the 5-second mark. Never has such thoroughly excellent musical talent been lavished on such unplayable trash.

Comment