Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Music Thread

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoetker View Post
    If we're going for a 'best of," here's my recollections per system since I can actually remember all of these:

PC, circa 1990s: Jazz Jackrabbit. Later on, Tyrian, the bestest scrolling shooter ever, was released, and nothing of note has been released on the PC since then.
    While I don't agree with the latter sentiment, I'm totally doing a "OMG SOMEBODY ELSE LOVED THESE!" with your choice of games.

Especially the Jazz Jackrabbit Christmas edition, Holiday Hare.
    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hoo boy... I've got a big list, and this isn't even all of it.

"Crocodile Cacophony" - Final Boss theme from Donkey Kong Country 2. Heck, the DKC games for the SNES has some crazy awesome soundtracks.

"The Betrayer" -Shovel Knight. The soundtrack in general is a fine example of 8-bit style music.

"Boss Theme" - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I'm a fan of Jake Kaufman's stuff, so it makes sense that some of his work would be on here.

"Izzy Glow's Stage" - Mega Man X5. Actually... just put every Mega Man Soundtrack ever here.

"Bowser's Castle" - Mario Kart 8. This is the kind of awesomeness that I expect from the BGM of the Big-Bad's-Castle-Turned-Race-Course.

"Eternity" - Blue Dragon Boss Theme. Yeah... the vocals are kind of cheesy, but at the same time it's the memorable kind of cheesy (the fact that they're sung by the lead vocalist of Deep Purple doesn't hurt).

"The Decisive Battle" - Final Fantasy 6. I've actually caught myself whistling this while I'm at work (alongside Christmas Carols and "Pop Goes the Weasel").
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A couple of my favorites that come to mind.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Super Mario Galaxy had really excellent music.

Whenever you hear this music in any Mario game, prepare for much frustration...

This one is one of my favorite pieces from that game. It captures the feeling of freedom as well as the beauty of the universe.
    Last edited by T-Shirt Ninja; 01-20-2015 at 04:02 AM.
    “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Ok, last one for tonight. I really loved the music from the Oil Ocean stage of Sonic 2.
    “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

6. Amen Chaotic Void amen'd this post.
    Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    While I don't agree with the latter sentiment,
    Tongue may have been somewhat in cheek (looks at his somewhat formidable Steam library)

I'm totally doing a "OMG SOMEBODY ELSE LOVED THESE!" with your choice of games.

Especially the Jazz Jackrabbit Christmas edition, Holiday Hare.
    Remember that there were TWO of them, one for 1994, one for 95.

Another highly honorable mention from the era: Skyroads. A racing game with fantastic music that finally seems to have gotten some people willing to iterate on the concept with the latest gen hardware-about 20-odd years later.

Finally, a big shout-out has to go to one particular company that brought their A game to both music and graphics for whatever genre they made, whether it was a miniature golf game (don't bring me these latecomers) or an Arkanoid clone that's far more polished and tactical than the original.

Remember, with the current "indie" scene, everything old is [s]plagirized[/s] new again. Though I'll admit that a game like Super Meat Boy most definitely gets the musical spirit of the time. The thing was, back then, the level of polish and musical virtuosity was so common and expected that it was being dropped on...mini golf games and arkanoid clones. (Playing it on home computers rather than cell hones probably contributed.)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Speaking of Mario Galaxy... I was glad to hear this tune again for the "Bowser" Stages:

I was glad to hear this song again. Mostly because when I heard it in Super Mario 64, I knew that they wouldn't be able to top it (seriously... it's been rattling around in my head for almost 20 years).
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    I've never played this game but I've heard this theme song before and think it's awesome:

If you have a DS(or anything compatible), a PSP, PS3, PS4, Wii, or Wii U you can play it again. The DS one is best, because it has extra content. It gives more than just the extra endings as a reason to play after beating the main story.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Time for some more nostalgia. I remember playing this game on my amiga. I was so young then.

James Pond II: Robocod - Intro Theme

I think the theme is based on, or perhaps even copies the Robocop film music directly.

Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Definitely a take-off on it, maybe not quite a full copy (know that theme all too well )

If you're going back to the 80s(always a worthwhile activity,) don't forget Tim Follin, who seemed to have a knack for writing especially excellent chiptunes for games that were SO HARD YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR ANYTHING MORE THAN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS:

Sky Shark, at least, was playable, and difficult in a mostly good way. This man also did the NES Silver Surfer game, where the deaths came closer to the 5-second mark. Never has such thoroughly excellent musical talent been lavished on such unplayable trash.