Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Serious topic - PLEASE don't derail....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't expect Christian forgiveness and healing from a secular justice system, now can we? Some of the parts of that story really disgust me, but I'm glad some of those people have risen above what the world tells them.

Comment

Everyone in every church is struggling with some sort of sin. Should a doctor only treat the slightly sick? I wouldn't put him in children's ministry, but as long as he's not using the church as a hunting ground, IMO Pastor should try to help him.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Everyone in every church is struggling with some sort of sin. Should a doctor only treat the slightly sick? I wouldn't put him in children's ministry, but as long as he's not using the church as a hunting ground, IMO Pastor should try to help him.
        First I'd assign an accountability partner to keep an eye on him when he does attend church functions, as Catholicity said, as well as to check in on him outside of church.

The church I go to (Twin Lakes Church) has some recovery ministries:

Our 12-step recovery meetings are a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other, in hopes that, with God’s help, we may solve our common problem and help each other to recover from our addictions and compulsive behaviors. The only requirement for attending is a desire to stop our self-destructive patterns.
        If you don't have one I'd start something like that, and require him to attend and be open and honest about his problems. If your church can't do that, I'd require him to go to Sex Addicts Anonymous, counseling, therapy, or additional help along with one-on-one ministry.

If he's not willing to do any of that I'd probably consider it a case of protecting the flock from the wolves and tell him he's not welcome to attend church functions. Sick people deserve help, but they have to want it, and demonstrate that in order to protect other members.

Comment

Hadn't updated this in a while --

I HAD, however, contacted this man, and he came to Church last Sunday. I met with him briefly after Church, explaining that I really wanted to have a "sit down" with him, but have been really busy with my wife's cancer situation. He was very appreciative, and said he is looking forward to the talk.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I HAD, however, contacted this man, and he came to Church last Sunday. I met with him briefly after Church, explaining that I really wanted to have a "sit down" with him, but have been really busy with my wife's cancer situation. He was very appreciative, and said he is looking forward to the talk.
            Thanks for the update. I was wondering how it turned out the other day.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Cow Poke: Did you ever meet the man for lunch, if so how did it go? Also any additional updates rewarding the OP.
              Last edited by Premo316; 04-08-2014, 05:17 PM. Reason: elaborated on question

Comment

Originally posted by Premo316 View Post
                Cow Poke: Did you ever meet the man for lunch, if so how did it go? Also any additional updates rewarding the OP.
                Not yet, Premo --- our world was kinda turned upside down when we discovered my wife has cancer. Just had a mastectomy, and we're going through followup surgery and doctor visits. The man knows I want to talk to him, and seems to be purposely "behaving" --- NOT being around children, ONLY being around places where there are multiple adults, etc. He's even coming to morning Bible Study before our Sunday Morning worship.

But thanks for asking -- I do need to get back to this.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X