Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medication

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Medication

So, I found a few Youtube videos were people were giving their testimony about being delivered from being gay and read comments below them saying the closing of Exodus or this or that organization or the fact that these big ex-gay people like the founder of Love Wins Out or that Stonewall Revisited guy gave in to their gay desires, proves that the person giving their testimony is going to go back and they look forward to them coming back to the LGBT community and and other snarky comments.

So the people saying these kinds of things usually cite psychology, which got me thinking these psychologists a that say gay people should give in to their desires and that people should get their reproductive organs removed and put on hormones or hormone blockers, to help with gender dysphoria are the same people who suggested I see a psychiatrist when I was 13 to put me medicine for my OCD. I can tell you now, I wish I never got on medicine and went to places for therapy instead. The medications never really help with my OCD, which is my fault too since I have it in the back of my mind that something bad would happen if I didn't have OCD.

Sites like the APA and Psychology Today seem to have a political agenda behind them. I'm thinking most psychologist today do too, which I know sounds like a nutty conspiracy theory, but what ever.

Banned
    Faith
    disgusted
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    So, I found a few Youtube videos were people were giving their testimony about being delivered from being gay and read comments below them saying the closing of Exodus or this or that organization or the fact that these big ex-gay people like the founder of Love Wins Out or that Stonewall Revisited guy gave in to their gay desires, proves that the person giving their testimony is going to go back and they look forward to them coming back to the LGBT community and and other snarky comments.

So the people saying these kinds of things usually cite psychology, which got me thinking these psychologists a that say gay people should give in to their desires and that people should get their reproductive organs removed and put on hormones or hormone blockers, to help with gender dysphoria are the same people who suggested I see a psychiatrist when I was 13 to put me medicine for my OCD. I can tell you now, I wish I never got on medicine and went to places for therapy instead. The medications never really help with my OCD, which is my fault too since I have it in the back of my mind that something bad would happen if I didn't have OCD.

Sites like the APA and Psychology Today seem to have a political agenda behind them. I'm thinking most psychologist today do too, which I know sounds like a nutty conspiracy theory, but what ever.
    We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can psychiatric medication be misused? Certainly. Do they help millions of people. Yes. Political agenda? I find it suspicious that the only people who say X is biased by a political agenda are those who have an ideological issue that makes them likely to oppose X. In other words, we see organisations as having a political agenda if its agenda conflicts with our own political agenda.

3. Amen Carrikature, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancreasman View Post
    We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can psychiatric medication be misused? Certainly. Do they help millions of people. Yes. Political agenda? I find it suspicious that the only people who say X is biased by a political agenda are those who have an ideological issue that makes them likely to oppose X. In other words, we see organisations as having a political agenda if its agenda conflicts with our own political agenda.
    Not to mention that medications don't have identical effects on every person.
    I'm not here anymore.

5. Amen pancreasman, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know medication has helped people, and if somebody needs to take medication that's alright. I'm going to try to stop taking mine all together and try therapy, because I don't trust psychologists. Plus, I'm way worse when I'm off the medicine now than I was before I started taking it. I don't know if it's the medicine or if I just got worse. I'm hoping that therapy would help, when I start going, even though I'm afraid to do it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Banned
    Faith
    disgusted
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I know medication has helped people, and if somebody needs to take medication that's alright. I'm going to try to stop taking mine all together and try therapy, because I don't trust psychologists. Plus, I'm way worse when I'm off the medicine now than I was before I started taking it. I don't know if it's the medicine or if I just got worse. I'm hoping that therapy would help, when I start going, even though I'm afraid to do it. I don't know if that makes sense.
    If you don't trust psychologists, who's giving you therapy? Personally, I don't trust butchers.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My entire medical regimen consists of one baby aspirin every morning, and I turned out alright!

(ok, maybe that's a bad example)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, Just a note, if your on psych meds, please come off under a physician or naturopath doctor's supervision, you need to taper off slowly, the correct physician can give you some natural alternatives that will help counter balance some of the more severe withdrawal symptoms.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also I am on some very necessary psych meds, that after years of off and on, we've discovered I absolutely am unable to cope without. Its a balance and a very tricky one. I also do natural supplementing and cautious eating. I still have some side effects, but I'll take them over the other stuff....
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

12. Amen pancreasman, Rushing Jaws, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Craig Blomberg's most recent book totally goes after Christians who are anti-psychology in one of the chapters. I think he's right.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

14. Amen pancreasman, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancreasman View Post
    If you don't trust psychologists, who's giving you therapy? Personally, I don't trust butchers.
    I mean hands on therapy. I shouldn't really have said psychologists but modern psychology itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Okay, Just a note, if your on psych meds, please come off under a physician or naturopath doctor's supervision, you need to taper off slowly, the correct physician can give you some natural alternatives that will help counter balance some of the more severe withdrawal symptoms.
    I'm taking fluvoxamine. I've been on and off it a number of times. I haven't took it for a couple of days now.