Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medication

Banned
    Faith
    disgusted
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I mean hands on therapy. I shouldn't really have said psychologists but modern psychology itself.

I'm taking fluvoxamine. I've been on and off it a number of times. I haven't took it for a couple of days now.
    Hand on therapy? Do you mean laying on of hands in a Christian context?

Be very careful, suddenly ceasing psychoactive medication is very dangerous.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know medication has helped people, and if somebody needs to take medication that's alright. I'm going to try to stop taking mine all together and try therapy, because I don't trust psychologists. Plus, I'm way worse when I'm off the medicine now than I was before I started taking it. I don't know if it's the medicine or if I just got worse. I'm hoping that therapy would help, when I start going, even though I'm afraid to do it. I don't know if that makes sense.
    You should probably talk to someone about other medication alternatives. There are usually several kinds, and dosages/types can make a big difference. It can be a trick to get all of that sorted out.
    I'm not here anymore.

3. Amen pancreasman, Catholicity amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancreasman View Post
    Hand on therapy? Do you mean laying on of hands in a Christian context?
    No way.

Banned
    Faith
    disgusted
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No way.
    Well then, I have no idea what you're talking about. What is 'hands on therapy' for OCD?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancreasman View Post
    Well then, I have no idea what you're talking about. What is 'hands on therapy' for OCD?
    The kind of therapy where they expose the person to the things that they think would contaminate them, or whatever it is that sets off their compulsions and not let them do what they usually do to relieve the stress.

Like say a person has contamination OCD and whenever they touch something that they think would contaminate them they wash vigorously. In therapy, the person would be made to touch whatever it is that they think is contaminated and then not be allowed to wash their hands or whatever.

They would have to go back to therapy a number of times because the OCD would most likely come back, or if they stop OCDing about the original thing that they were in therapy for, it would be about something else they would be OCDing about.

Yeah, you all are right though, I shouldn't go off my medicine right now until I talk to somebody about it.
    Last edited by Christy; 01-24-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Exposure therapy is good for OCD, but it doesn't deal with the thought pattern. I would recommend a Cognition therapist too OCD is likely to relapse especially if there are emotional background triggers or an underlying anxiety problem, which there typically is. But the two combined are really good.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

8. Amen Christy amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lazarus, come forth!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen Catholicity amen'd this post.