Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Enduring Incarnation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    How would He only being the man hear those now millions of prayers all at once? Remember as the man He was always in heaven even when He walked this earth (John 3:13. ". . . [even] the Son of man who is in heaven.").
    Where did I EVER say he was "only being the man"? Did you miss the part where I said he was the GODMAN?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Where did I EVER say he was "only being the man"? Did you miss the part where I said he was the GODMAN?
      My comments were because you balked at calling Christ human.
      I dislike the term "human" in regards to Christ, only because it, by itself, discounts His deity....
      He was not just a GODMAN. He was not part God part man. He was fully God being the Son, and fully man in becoming human. One person both fully God and became fully man without ceasing being God. The importance of His deity was that He be a sinless man (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Psalm 14:3; Romans 3:10; Luke 18:19; Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 5:8. 9; Luke 22:42; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 7:25; Isaiah 53:6, 12).

We understand this. Those on the outside of the faith do not.
      Last edited by 37818; 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

My comments were because you balked at calling Christ human.
        No, I didn't. Read the comment IN CONTEXT.

He was not just a GODMAN.
        Nor did I say he was.

I'm really not understanding why you're being so cotton pickin pedantic. I don't remember you normally being like this. Are you just wanting to sound more spiritual?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He was not just a GODMAN. He was not part God part man.
          Might I kindly suggest, instead of arguing a point you don't seem to understand, you ask about it instead?

Source: Anselm of Canterbury, Cur Deus Homo, Chapter VII

"Therefore the God-man, whom we require to be of a nature both human and Divine, cannot be produced by a change from one into the other, nor by an imperfect commingling of both in a third; since these things cannot be, or, if they could be, would avail nothing to our purpose. Moreover, if these two complete natures are said to be joined somehow, in such a way that one may be Divine while the other is human, and yet that which is God not be the same with that which is man, it is impossible for both to do the work necessary to be accomplished. For God will not do it, because he has no debt to pay; and man will not do it, because he cannot. Therefore, in order that the God-man may perform this, it is necessary that the same being should perfect God and perfect man, in order to make this atonement. For he cannot and ought not to do it, unless he be very God and very man. Since, then, it is necessary that the God-man preserve the completeness of each nature, it is no less necessary that these two natures be united entire in one person, just as a body and a reasonable soul exist together in every human being; for otherwise it is impossible that the same being should be very God and very man.

© Copyright Original Source

He was fully God being the Son, and fully man in becoming human.
          Which is exactly what the "God-man" is.

Comment

Clarity. On the matter.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              No, I didn't. Read the comment IN CONTEXT.

Nor did I say he was.

I'm really not understanding why you're being so cotton pickin pedantic. I don't remember you normally being like this. Are you just wanting to sound more spiritual?
              Please accept my apology. It must be my misunderstanding not yours.

Comment

Please accept my apology. It must be my misunderstanding not yours.
                No problem -- I know you're not stupid, and I know you're not normally argumentative for the sake of argument.

The whole point of using the term "God-man" is that Christ was NOT "part God and part man", he was 100% both at the same time. Perhaps you weren't familiar with that term, or had seen it used in a different context?

Laughing --- I accidentally left out "not" in "I know you're not stupid" --- glad I went back and caught that!

Comment

Heard of it, a handful of times; appreciate the attraction of the passage from 1 Cor.15; but believe that the Incarnation is forever.

IOW, that the Incarnate Word rose again in the Sacred Humanity He had taken in being born of the Virgin Mother of God; that He ascended into Heaven Body & Soul in this same glorified Humanity; and that the union of the Divine & human natures in the unity of the Person of the Word Incarnate is not undone by His Glorification at the right hand of the Father, but is a permanent work of God.

I think it would be anti-climactic for the Incarnation to be undone by the Ascension. Apart from any other considerations, the Incarnation made a permanent change in the relation of creatures to God, so it seems strange to think of the Incarnation being "undone" by Christ, as though the Hypostatic Union were no more than permanent than a change of clothing is with us. The idea seems to suggest a Christology that does not take the Incarnation of "God-with-us" as man quite as thoroughly as it ought. A line like "Robed in flesh the Godhead see" doesn't help.

It ought perhaps to be emphasised that the Incarnation, though profoundly mysterious, does not imply any change at all in any of the Divine Persons. The Holy Trinity is not changed - there is change; not in God, but in the human nature that has been taken & elevated & Divinised by being made the instrument of God the Word. Maybe it is also worth recalling that the Incarnation does not involve a change of place, nor does it involve locomotion: the Word Who became "God-with-us" on earth, is also eternally God with the Father & the Holy Spirit "in Heaven". The Ascension was not a journey into space - it seems, instead, to be a conquering of the limitations of space, which our condition as human creatures damaged by sin has no way of reducing to concepts. Heaven is not a place in the sense that Chicago or Oceania or Aldebaran or Rigel are places. God is not spatially located.

Just my 2d.

Comment

Thank you for sharing.
                    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment