Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we discuss this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    That's your opinion. I'm sure Cat Lady is a nice person.

But...

If a person is that incredulous about mathematics (with little apparent knowledge of the subject), it is not surprising that person is incredulous about age, history, and evolution (again with little apparent knowledge of the subjects).

"Incredible".

K54

P.S. This is no worse than I would be treated in a Fundy Christian church on "evilution", even though I'm not ignorant of their theology.

Just once could you accurately portray a conversation? I am not 'incredulous about mathematics' - I just have a question, of my own, about the nature of repeating decimals - so freaking what? I didn't see you offering squat in the actual math department - unlike Sylas, Leo and Taoist, all of whom I will defer to on the subject since they all demonstrate actual knowledge, - you just snipe at whatever victim you think might be weak enough. BP did a good job arguing and caught my actual error - you just throw peanuts from the gallery.

Those who can't do, toss the chess board. I've never seen you so much as move a pawn - you just toss them at people. You're a mean spirited ignorant little troll - we already know, you can stop trying to prove it now.

If you refer to me as a YEC again I will be calling you a liar - which is perfectly within Decorum since it will be a substantiated charge. I do NOT hold any of the traditional positions on that debate and you will not find any post of mine in the last five years or so that even approximates one. DO NOT REPEAT THAT CLAIM AGAIN WITHOUT SUBSTANTIATION - DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I'm tired of that nonsense and your moronic sniping. Grow up, grow a brain or leave me out of your delusions, pick one.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• "There's nothing stupid about asking questions, that's how you stop being stupid." Ray, Steamboy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Advanced calculators and modern computers, if they don't outright return a specific error code, should return NaN (Not a Number).
        Infinity like 0 is not a number. Zero we understand. It is not a number it is zero. We use zero's as a place holder in numbers. And it is "the number" between -1 and 1. But it is not a number, it is 0.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Infinity like 0 is not a number. Zero we understand. It is not a number it is zero. We use zero's as a place holder in numbers. And it is "the number" between -1 and 1. But it is not a number, it is 0.
          Actually 0 is a number, its defined to be the only number with the property that for all numbers, when multiplied by 0, equals 0. That's why you can't divide by zero, because in order to divide 1 by a number, you must find another number so that when the two are multiplied together, you get 1. Since this directly contradicts the definition of 0, you can't find a number to multiply 0 by in order to turn it into 1.

1/0 is not an aleph_n cardinal number: You can't divide by 0.

0 is a number.

Infinity is not a number, its a limit.

Comment

Advanced calculators and modern computers, if they don't outright return a specific error code, should return NaN (Not a Number).
            [second reply]

My first computer I got some time in around 1963 or there about. As for the Android default calculator. Return your android device. Get an iPhone or an iPad.

I'm fine with 1/0 equaling infinity. But then . . .
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I'm fine with 1/0 equaling infinity. But then . . .
              1/0 does not equal infinity, it has no defined value. If it has one it should be "Error: Can't divide by zero."

Comment

Actually 0 is a number, its defined to be the only number with the property that for all numbers, when multiplied by 0, equals 0. That's why you can't divide by zero, because in order to divide 1 by a number, you must find another number so that when the two are multiplied together, you get 1. Since this directly contradicts the definition of 0, you can't find a number to multiply 0 by in order to turn it into 1.

1/0 is not an aleph_n cardinal number: You can't divide by 0.

0 is a number.

Infinity is not a number, its a limit.
                I'm not the one making the math rules, as to how it is to be denoted. They are right, I am just wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Grow up, grow a brain or leave me out of your delusions, pick one.
                  Age of the Earth Apathetic?

I seem to remember a thread ...

Comment

I'm not the one making the math rules, as to how it is to be denoted. They are right, I am just wrong.
                    Actually I've asked you a couple of times to give me a number, which when multipled 0, equals 1. If you know of one, I'll concede that you can divide by zero. The problem is, finding such a number will be impossible, due to the fact that 0 was defined to be the one number where multiplying it with anything, returns 0.

If you have another set of rules, give them, or give up.

Its okay, you don't have to be a contrarian about everything. Trust me, it doesn't work out in the long run.
                    Last edited by Leonhard; 02-01-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      Age of the Earth Apathetic?

I seem to remember a thread ...
                      Close...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

1/0 does not equal infinity, it has no defined value. If it has one it should be "Error: Can't divide by zero."
                        Well, the creators of the Android default calculator, it outputs, ∞
                        I suggest stop using Google devices.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero

In computing, a program error may result from an attempt to divide by zero. Depending on the programming environment and the type of number (e.g. floating point, integer) being divided by zero, it may generate positive or negative infinity by the IEEE 754 floating point standard, generate an exception, generate an error message, cause the program to terminate, or result in a special not-a-number value.

© Copyright Original Source

Division_by_zero_on_android_2.2.1_calculator.jpg

Comment

In computing, a program error may result from an attempt to divide by zero. Depending on the programming environment and the type of number (e.g. floating point, integer) being divided by zero, it may generate positive or negative infinity by the IEEE 754 floating point standard, generate an exception, generate an error message, cause the program to terminate, or result in a special not-a-number value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3790[/ATTACH]
                          Infinity is NOT a number.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3790[/ATTACH]
                            Its not that bad, it just means that there's some lazy programmers somewhere who opted for an easy way out on an expression like that. There's a special value for floating point numbers which pretty much indicate that the result can't be computed because its undefined, that's the NaN value. Instead they let it be set to the infinite value, or perhaps they fail to distinguish between that and the special NaN value.

Which means by reading this thread you've learned something those programmers didn't know.

Comment

• There's an extra "e" in the title. Vowels cost money!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually I've asked you a couple of times to give me a number, which when multipled 0, equals 1. If you know of one, I'll concede that you can divide by zero. The problem is, finding such a number will be impossible, due to the fact that 0 was defined to be the one number where multiplying it with anything, returns 0.
                                In an equation where the indeterminate 0 x ∞ occurs, and its value must be equal to one for equality in the equation for that equation to be equal. ∞ is either a value of an unknown or 1/0.

If you have another set of rules, give them, or give up.
                                I had stated two of them. Indeterminate form in an equation is equal to what ever the value is to be that makes that equation equal. Division by zero is infinity.

Canceling out an indeterminate with another like indeterminate in an equation resulting in an inequality is against the equation equality rule. The operation is improper. Just as arbitrarily introducing 0, infinity or an indeterminate into an equation is not to be done. Do you know of an exception?

In solving an equation. Canceling out the last variable which makes the equation equal is against the rule.

x/(x + 1) = 1 for example.
                                (multiply both sides by (x + 1))
                                x = x + 1
                                (divided both sides by x)
                                x/x = x/x + 1/x
                                1 = 1 + 1/x
                                (subtract one from both sides)
                                0 = 1/x
                                (1/∞ = 0)
                                x = ∞

Its okay, you don't have to be a contrarian about everything. Trust me, it doesn't work out in the long run.
                                OK. I respect your answers. I really do. I have come to some of these ideas that are not accepted as correct, for a long time. It does not mean I cannot learn. Or for that matter change my mind. Honestly, I dislike being wrong. To the best of my ability, as limited as it might even be [do to ignorance], I choose to believe what true, when I can understand it to be true.
                                Last edited by 37818; 02-01-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment