Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pop preachers and their heretical beliefs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here:

Bill The Cat's heresies for the Christian Soul

Comment

Okay, we get it. There are a lot of heretics, always have been, always will be.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Marilyn Hickey – Word of Faith

"What do you need? Start creating it. Start speaking about it. Start speaking it into being. Speak to your billfold. Say, "You big, thick billfold full of money." Speak to your checkbook. Say, "You, checkbook, you. You've never been so prosperous since I owned you. You're just jammed full of money."

Marilyn Hickey, "Claim Your Miracles" (Denver: Marilyn Hickey Ministries, n.d.), audiotape #186, side 2

Retrieved from http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/quotes.html
        Wow... Are these quotes too old for the screwball awards? What's up with these people that think faith= wishes that come true if you believe hard enough?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Joyce Meyer – Unscriptural teaching on the 3 days Jesus was dead

“And you’ve got to really glean some things out of the Word of God to really get hold of what He [Jesus] did for you during those three days.”

“Jesus said, ‘It is finished.’ And He meant the Old Covenant. The job He had to do was just getting started. He really did the job the three days and nights that He was in hell. That’s where the job was done”

“He was pronounced guilty on the cross but He paid the price in hell.”

“All the hosts of hell was [sic] upon Him. Upon Him. They got on Him. They got Him down in the floor and got on Him. And they were laughing and mocking.”

“Sunday morning, here comes the Son. Sunday morning, God gets Himself together. Ho, hoooo. Justice has been met, somehow the thing’s been taken care of. And ol’ God gets His voice together and He hollers out three words and they go roaring through the universe and entering the gates of hell. He said, ‘It is enough! It is enough!”

Joyce Meyer, From the Cross to the Throne, cassette tape, sermon recorded at Life Christian Center in Saint Louis, Mo., no date

Retrieved from http://www.pfo.org/preacher.htm
          That's pathetic. How do these people find so many suckers? Ok...but for the grace of God, there go I...

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
            That's pathetic. How do these people find so many suckers? Ok...but for the grace of God, there go I...

The reason there are so many "suckers" is because people aren't into the Word enough to be discerning. And let's face it, everybody wants to be healthy and wealthy and have all their troubles addressed by someone who doesn't bother with the core message of repentance and faith in Christ.

There are no "Bible studies" anymore. There are "small groups", in which social and feel-good messages are watched/listened to/read. No actual scripture is studied, and so the problem perpetuates itself.

And it goes all the way back to seminaries, where liberalism has taken over and the gospel has been watered down. The pastors in the pulpits are tickling ears, and the people hearing are not being fed. They don't grow, they accept pap, and the problem grows.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
              I would hesitate to call these people suckers. They are generally highly uneducated people mired in poverty (with many chronic ailments) who will give their last dollar to anyone providing hope from the Bible that they were raised to believe has authority. Undoubtedly they go and listen to these men for motivation to live another day and to escape the hell that characterizes their lives through "spiritual ecstasy". Charlatans or well-meaning people (like Joyce Meyer) take advantage and/or perpetuate the problem.

It doesn't take the grace of God to prevent people from believing lies and nonsense like the teachings of charlatans, just an education.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                I would hesitate to call these people suckers. They are generally highly uneducated people mired in poverty (with many chronic ailments) who will give their last dollar to anyone providing hope from the Bible that they were raised to believe has authority. Undoubtedly they go and listen to these men for motivation to live another day and to escape the hell that characterizes their lives through "spiritual ecstasy". Charlatans or well-meaning people (like Joyce Meyer) take advantage and/or perpetuate the problem.

It doesn't take the grace of God to prevent people from believing lies and nonsense like the teachings of charlatans, just an education. [Emphasis added.]
                Or perhaps both. Good points, Scrawly.
                For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

What do people think about the following quote:

We should shrink in horror from the idea that God actually died on the cross. The atonement was made by the human nature of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                    Here's the link to the article for the full context, for anyone interested: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/it-accu...od-died-cross/

Without thinking too much about it, the quote seems kind of silly. Natures, whether human or divine, do not experience death, persons do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      Here's the link to the article for the full context, for anyone interested: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/it-accu...od-died-cross/

Without thinking too much about it, the quote seems kind of silly. Natures, whether human or divine, do not experience death, persons do.
                      Yeah, it seems to me to crossing over into the gnostic arena where we start separating the human & divine natures of Christ from the person of Christ. This of course seems to be going against the very nature of the Nicene Creed which asserts the person of Christ, who is 'God of God' & 'Very God of Very God' was crucified, suffered, and was rose again.

So essentially, it seems he is denying the death, burial, and resurrection of the person of Christ....

seems to me that he is at least borderline on what the historical chuch considered heresy...

Comment

I tend to agree witih Joyce Meyer's interpretation of the three days, although I am open to persuasion. To call it heretical is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                          We should shrink in horror from the idea that God actually died on the cross. The atonement was made by the human nature of Christ
                          Well, I do not know who said that.
                          First, God cannot die. Second, the Son of God did die, on the cross, completing the atonement (John 19:28, 30) before He physically died, and then physically died, to be buried and to be risen from the dead as the first immortal man. The Son of God never ceased being God. So as God, did experience death. Now the human nature of Christ can only atone one man for one man, it was in His divine nature that He can atone for all humans. The Son of God is one Person, who is two in nature, both human and God, and those two natures were not and are not mixed. So it is, God never died, the Son of God did, not just the man.
                          Last edited by 37818; 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I'm surprised not to see Joel Osteen yet.
                            Look no further.

Comment

Oral Roberts:

I felt an overwhelming holy presence all around me. When I opened my eyes, there He stood ... some 900 feet tall, looking at me ... He stood a full 300 feet taller than the 600-foot-tall City of Faith. There I was face to face with Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God. I have only seen Jesus once before, but here I was face to face with the King of kings. He reached down, put his Hands under the City of Faith, lifted it, and said to me, "See how easy it is for Me to lift it!" (circa 1977)
                              And also his fundraiser:

I want you to use the ORU (Oral Roberts University) medical school to put My medical presence in the earth. I want you to get this going in one year or I will call you home. It will cost $8 million and I want you to believe you can raise it. (Abundant Life, Jan/Feb. 1987)
                              He actually said God would kill him if he failed to get that much.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                Well, I do not know who said that.
                                First, God cannot die. Second, the Son of God did die, on the cross, completing the atonement (John 19:28, 30) before He physically died, and then physically died, to be buried and to be risen from the dead as the first immortal man. The Son of God never ceased being God. So as God, did experience death. Now the human nature of Christ can only atone one man for one man, it was in His divine nature that He can atone for all humans. The Son of God is one Person, who is two in nature, both human and God, and those two natures were not and are not mixed. So it is, God never died, the Son of God did, not just the man.
                                It was RC Sproul.

Comment