Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bowe Bergdahl to be charged with desertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Update:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24371[/ATTACH]
    Two observations - for our liberal friends -

A) the source is not FoxNews or Breitbart - it's AP
    2) I smell a plea deal (or some other accommodation)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Two observations - for our liberal friends -

A) the source is not FoxNews or Breitbart - it's AP
      2) I smell a plea deal (or some other accommodation)
      They should take away his citizenship and deport him.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

...the source is not FoxNews or Breitbart - it's AP
          In that case, maybe we should be suspicious.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Anyone know what happened with the ptsd defense that was floated a while ago?
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

So.....

I'm curious why he's "coming clean".... gotta be a deal in the works.

Comment

And this was the fine young soldier who we traded for the release of five top terrorists? I'm not sure, but I think we might have gotten a bad deal.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I'm not sure, but I think we might have gotten a bad deal.
                  Ya think?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It was like trading Himmler, Goering, Goebbels, Eichmann and Heydrich for "Private Ryan" while suspecting the latter might be a Nazi collaborator.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bergdahl is getting off easy...

maxresdefault.jpg
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I don't really know that much about the political partisanship about the guy. Didn't bother reading most of this thread, but there was a fantastic podcast that went into major depth on his reasons for leaving the base, his years in captivity, and what friends, and his co-soldiers think about him. I came away from the podcast feeling he did a super boneheaded thing, but that he was certainly no traitor, and I sincerely don't think he intended to do any harm.

You can find the podcast here:

https://serialpodcast.org/season-two

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I don't really know that much about the political partisanship about the guy. Didn't bother reading most of this thread, but there was a fantastic podcast that went into major depth on his reasons for leaving the base, his years in captivity, and what friends, and his co-soldiers think about him. I came away from the podcast feeling he did a super boneheaded thing, but that he was certainly no traitor, and I sincerely don't think he intended to do any harm.

You can find the podcast here:

https://serialpodcast.org/season-two
                          I don't think he is a traitor. I do think he is a deserter and that is what he is being charged as. He walked away from his post and deserted the army.

That means:
                          1. He abandoned his fellow troops putting them in danger
                          2. He caused a huge manhunt in which others got harmed (I heard 5 or 6 died trying to find him?)
                          3. Because of his actions they released several known terrorists in exchange for him, putting more people's lives in danger.

So he should have to pay some penalty for that. I don't know about if he colluded with the enemy or not. But I don't think his time in their hands, whether voluntary or not, should count as any sort of "time served"

If he truly wanted to just stop fighting or disagreed with the Army, he could have just turned himself in to his commander and said he refused to fight, and took whatever punishment he deserved. Walking off into the desert was either completely stupid, or a deliberate attempt to join the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I don't think he is a traitor. I do think he is a deserter and that is what he is being charged as. He walked away from his post and deserted the army.

That means:
                            1. He abandoned his fellow troops putting them in danger
                            2. He caused a huge manhunt in which others got harmed (I heard 5 or 6 died trying to find him?)
                            3. Because of his actions they released several known terrorists in exchange for him, putting more people's lives in danger.

So he should have to pay some penalty for that. I don't know about if he colluded with the enemy or not. But I don't think his time in their hands, whether voluntary or not, should count as any sort of "time served"

If he truly wanted to just stop fighting or disagreed with the Army, he could have just turned himself in to his commander and said he refused to fight, and took whatever punishment he deserved. Walking off into the desert was either completely stupid, or a deliberate attempt to join the enemy.
                            Yeah, I agree that he deserted. The manhunt that got people presumably harmed is debatable. The podcast goes into exactly who may or may not have been harmed, and if it really had anything directly do with the manhunt, and yep, I agree that it sucks that they traded captives for him, but I'm not sure what other option were available except to just let him die, which I think would have been the worse option. I'm 99% certain after listening to the podcast that he did not collude with the enemy. He was severely tortured and put in a very bad way during his internment. He was a simple kid who made a really bad decision that he stupidly thought would help his fellow soldiers, ended up tortured, starved, and humiliated for half a decade, cost the nation he was serving millions of dollars, and unintentionally helped the enemy, and when the ordeal was over, he now has a good portion of the nation who've heard of his name hating him. I'm surprised he hasn't taken his own life, or if he hasn't thought about doing so a thousand times a day. Honestly, from what I understand about his circumstances, I feel bad for him.

By the way, he didn't walk out off because he was intending to desert (though that's what he was, in fact, doing). He walked off because he was attempting to get to the main base to show (in his own goofy way) how poorly he and his fellow soldiers conditions were in the field. As I recall, he thought he'd get into a bit of trouble, but that he was going to stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              By the way, he didn't walk out off because he was intending to desert (though that's what he was, in fact, doing). He walked off because he was attempting to get to the main base to show (in his own goofy way) how poorly he and his fellow soldiers conditions were in the field. As I recall, he thought he'd get into a bit of trouble, but that he was going to stay in.
                              I wonder, then, why he would plead guilty as charged. And, again, I suspect some kind of deal has been arranged. Perhaps in sentencing.

Comment

I wonder, then, why he would plead guilty as charged. And, again, I suspect some kind of deal has been arranged. Perhaps in sentencing.
                                According to the local rag, there was no deal arranged.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment