Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who do Jews think the Servant is in Isaiah 42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do Jews think the Servant is in Isaiah 42?

Who do Jews think the Servant is in Isaiah 42 and why do you think so?

Thank you.

BTW, this question of mine has nothing to do with the Christian belief that Jesus is this Servant or that He is the Messiah.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      Who do Jews think the Servant is in Isaiah 42 and why do you think so?

Thank you.
      I have reviewed the Jewish view of the scripture over the years. One view of the 'Servant' is indeed the 'Anointed One' the Messiah as compared to Moses, and the mediator of the Covenant. King Cyrus is described as the Messianic Figure. Most Jews over the Millennia view the 'Servant' as a 'King' like figure that who would lead the Jews in this world.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

This is the view I most often see, that Jews are the Servant:

Beginning with chapter 41, the equating of God’s Servant with the nation of Israel is made nine times by the prophet Isaiah, and no one other than Israel is identified as the “servant”:

“You are My servant, O Israel” (41:8)
        “You are My servant, Israel” (49:3)
        see also Isaiah 44:1, 44:2, 44:21, 45:4, 48:20

The Bible is filled with other references to the Jewish people as God’s “servant”; see Jeremiah 30:10, 46:27-28; Psalms 136:22. There is no reason that the “servant” in Isaiah 53 would suddenly switch and refer to someone other than the Jewish people. -Aish

The chapter refers to a servant who suffers on behalf of others. It is one of a number of “servant” poems (e.g. Isaiah 42:1-4; 43:10; 44:1-2; 45:4; 48:20; 49:3-6; 52:13-15) where the servant is clearly Israel.

The Soncino Isaiah says about chapter 53, “The Babylonians, or their representative, having known the servant, i.e. exiled Israel idealised, in his humiliation and martyrdom, and now seeing his exaltation and new dignity, describe their impressions and feelings”. The Interpreter’s Bible, a Christian work, says, “The servant is certainly Israel”. The New English Bible heads Isaiah 53, “Israel a light to the nations”. -OzTorah

Comment

Yea, I was going to say that it referred to Israel as a whole.

Comment

I also believe it refers to all righteous Jews (and that Jesus as a righteous Jew is included among them giving lead example of servitude to the Father, apologies to Christian3).

Comment

Isaiah 42

Sing a new song to the Lord;
              sing His praise from the ends of the earth,
              you who go down to the sea with all that fills it,
              you islands with your[d] inhabitants.
              11 Let the desert and its cities shout,
              the settlements where Kedar dwells cry aloud.
              Let the inhabitants of Sela sing for joy;
              let them cry out from the mountaintops.
              12 Let them give glory to the Lord
              and declare His praise in the islands.
              13 The Lord advances like a warrior;
              He stirs up His zeal like a soldier.
              He shouts, He roars aloud,
              He prevails over His enemies.

What is the "new song" and why is it a "new song"?

Muslims say that since Kedar is mentioned, Isaiah 42 is a prophecy of Muhammad.

What do all of you think?

Thanks.

Comment

My view, the Servant would still be righteous Jews giving light to Gentiles including Muslims, as much of the Quran is about Jewish prophets as an example for Muslim Gentiles to follow. So reference to Kedar may be about this.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                  I also believe it refers to all righteous Jews (and that Jesus as a righteous Jew is included among them giving lead example of servitude to the Father, apologies to Christian3).
                  I consider the phrase 'righteous Jews' a little vague. I need more explanation. Would King Cyrus be considered a 'righteous Jew.'?
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I consider the phrase 'righteous Jews' a little vague. I need more explanation. Would King Cyrus be considered a 'righteous Jew.'?
                    No he and Nebuchadnezzar would be other types of servants. Righteous Jews are Jewish prophets, good figs of Jeremiah 24, etc.

Comment

No he and Nebuchadnezzar would be other types of servants. Righteous Jews are Jewish prophets, good figs of Jeremiah 24, etc.
                      Cyrus was referred to as a 'Messiah.' Where in scripture is the distinction made that he was a Messiah of a different type.

Frank

Comment

Cyrus was referred to as a 'Messiah.' Where in scripture is the distinction made that he was a Messiah of a different type.
                        Going back through some old threads I left when I took a break for a while.

So to finally answer, Cyrus was a Gentile not a Jew. But a messiah/mashiach/anointed could be kings, priests, prophets, servants, etc. for God, so King Cyrus was anointed to end the Babylonian exile for Jews. The big "M" Messiah is usually understood to be the Son of David anointed to end all exiles for Jews and give them an everlasting kingdom in which to prosper.

Comment

Going back through some old threads I left when I took a break for a while.

So to finally answer, Cyrus was a Gentile not a Jew. But a messiah/mashiach/anointed could be kings, priests, prophets, servants, etc. for God, so King Cyrus was anointed to end the Babylonian exile for Jews. The big "M" Messiah is usually understood to be the Son of David anointed to end all exiles for Jews and give them an everlasting kingdom in which to prosper.
                          I guess that has not happened yet, unless you consider the current Jewish state the fulfillment in the dispensation of the Baha'i Faith.

Frank

Comment

I guess that has not happened yet, unless you consider the current Jewish state the fulfillment in the dispensation of the Baha'i Faith.
                            No I consider that over half the world does this with Jesus:

Isaiah 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X